What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

If you have just used that Tech one time, it might be too soon to come to a conclusion. The Tech has quite a narrow angle, so has to be tightly controlled or you will not get a close shave. A more aggressive razor has a wider effective shaving angle, so you can be a little sloppy and get away with it more easily.
Well that makes sense!!i was thinking that too.ill give it another try😎

IMHO the ridiculously inexpensive Super Blue is nearly as good (99%) as the original Gillette.
Wow, OK. Now I'm hoping even harder that whoever said the Super Blue was a rebranding of the similar/identical looking Ying Jili was right, 'cos that's the one I went for, metal handle version (don't want no plastic after my transition to safety razors). The lingering issue for me right now is that I saw one comment on a YJ or SB listing on AliExpress saying the top cap was brass and only the base plate was zinc alloy. This would be a bit of bad news to me, as I'm looking for the absolute lightest version of the Tech I can find, so both pieces in zinc, no steel, no brass. (Then again that's why I also ordered the non-upgrade Baili 171 in parallel - better chances to get the lightest version, plus I can try a deep-groove safety-bar comb vs. a shallow-groove one.)

Nope, the metal YingJiLi is way milder than the Gillette Super Blue - it's actually the mildest DE razor I've ever tried and the only one I can't get a BBS with - a shame since it's an all steel razor.

The razor that came closest to my gold tone ball end Tech is indeed the Super Blue, then the Lord L.5, which is also a bit too mild for my taste.

Last edited:
a shame since it's an all steel razor
That's actually blowing my mind right now, as both the handle and the base plate are magnetic, suggesting steel, iron or something rich in nickel(?!) but at the same time it's coming out to about the same weight as a Mach 3, making it the absolute lightest all-metal razor I've had until now (out of 4) and the only one with any magnetism. :sosp:

Plating looks pretty bad, shows a lot of grain all over the top cap and also lets the machining on the handle come through (but it was to be expected for $3.99):
IMG_20210812_202108.jpg

The seriously bad part though are the threads on both the handle and the top cap. Inside the handle it looks like it's one material for 2 turns and then continuing down it's something else, or the threads are rusted to hell, and they have wider tops, I don't understand what's going on, but there's a horrible scratchy feeling while screwing and unscrewing this handle.
IMG_20210812_202326.jpg

Top cap screw isn't much better, with vertical burr lines left over in the thread grooves on two opposite sides, near the long edges of the cap. Definitely also contributing to that scratchiness.
IMG_20210812_202943.jpgIMG_20210812_203000.jpg

This thing is going to destroy itself with very little usage if I leave it as it is. I think I understand why some AliExpress (or was it Amazon?) comments said it stripped its own threads after a few weeks and became unusable.

Base plate has the best finish out of the 3 pieces, but also shows some irregularities along the edges on the underside of the safety bar. See also more machining lines on the handle.
IMG_20210812_203051.jpg

Top of the base plate, with the close to nonexistent "comb" grooves, which they might as well have left out.
IMG_20210812_203134.jpg

Some approximate weights. Excuse the kitchen scale. 😋 I should've been holding it in my hand but I think it's still within +/- 2 grams anyway.
IMG_20210812_203302.jpgIMG_20210812_203313.jpgIMG_20210812_203323.jpgIMG_20210812_203406.jpg

This is supposedly the YingJili "RD201", though other sources suggest "3016-H" is the real model identifier (also found on the blister package).

Also ordered the Baili BD171, and specifically requested that they not send an "upgrade" model like the 176, and what I got actually says "BT131" on the package, which I'm fine with - I wanted the smaller head and that's what I got.

Wayyy better chrome plating on all 3 pieces vs. the YingJili (but hey, $8.46, and even upped to $10 since my order):
IMG_20210812_203553.jpgIMG_20210812_203646.jpg

Also means the handle won't be as grippy since they drowned the knurling in chrome, but whatever. This is my shortest handle and I wasn't really planning on using it. Worst-looking plating is on its conical part near the top, where there's some grime coming through, not sure if you can see it. Also the number "24" on the top of the base plate is almost drowned in chrome, you have to catch the light at just the right angle to spot it.
IMG_20210812_203737.jpg

Weight comes out to about a 50g, advertised as 55, which is still a win, as I was looking for lighter Tech-style heads to replace on my 60g Merkur 23 Black.
IMG_20210812_203922.jpgIMG_20210812_203932.jpgIMG_20210812_203941.jpgIMG_20210812_203959.jpg

Clean threads all around on the top cap bolt, no burrs here.
IMG_20210812_204129.jpg

Handle threads look clean all the way, they're even a bit more loose than necessary, I can feel the handle wobbling as I screw it in, but it does get secure at the end.
IMG_20210812_204240.jpg

The infuriating side of this one though is that of all combinations of handles and heads between the Merkur, Baili and YingJili, the Merkur handle + Baili head is the main one I would've liked to use and the only one that actually doesn't work. :a31: The handle screws on for 2 turns and then stops on something. I think I can see the threads on the Baili bolt becoming thicker after a few turns, but can't tell if that's the problem. Might have to use the Baili with its own handle for a while and see if it starts accepting the Merkur handle after some wear and some lubrication.
IMG_20210812_205028.jpg

OK, this Baili Tech 131 is a beast. At least compared to the mild Timor 1354 and Merkur 23 I had tried before. And I mean this in a good sense: finally it's mowing down the hair on one pass almost like a fresh Mach3 head (and I didn't even change the blade, it's still the Merkur that came with my Merkur razor, I think this was its 4th shave or so). I actually got a little overexcited and made 2 nicks because I started speeding through everything when I saw how much work it was doing with each pass.

Just like the other ones I've tried, it has different exposures on the two sides of the head, but I like that, it gives me two "settings" to work with - High and Low - and it's not even officially an adjustable. :biggrin:

Just making sure this thread never dies…
I started with a Travel Tech with a tiny handle, replaced with a nice SS knurled handle. It was okay, but I could never get a BBS shave on my neck near my Adam’s Apple.

I found a very nice fat-handle Tech (pre-war, triangular slots) which has a great handle and nice balance. Almost perfect, but I can still get closer shaves with a Merkur 34C or Gillette Heritage. Something about the curving of the blade over the base plate works great for me.

Enter the Baili BD176. For me, it shaves like a Tech but very slightly closer. The blade curve is great. I knew it was a keeper when I even got a close shave with a Derby blade. IT worked great with a Polsilver Iridium and I can’t wait to try my favorite Gillette blades. The head pairs great with the medium weight handle of the Gillette Heritage.

By the way, the Maggard’s V3M head is not the same as the BD176 although they look the same. There is more blade gap on the V3M, making it more aggressive and allowing it to bite if you don’t pay enough attention.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just making sure this thread never dies…
I started with a Travel Tech with a tiny handle, replaced with a nice SS knurled handle. It was okay, but I could never get a BBS shave on my neck near my Adam’s Apple.

I found a very nice fat-handle Tech (pre-war, triangular slots) which has a great handle and nice balance. Almost perfect, but I can still get closer shaves with a Merkur 34C or Gillette Heritage. Something about the curving of the blade over the base plate works great for me.

Enter the Baili BD176. For me, it shaves like a Tech but very slightly closer. The blade curve is great. I knew it was a keeper when I even got a close shave with a Derby blade. IT worked great with a Polsilver Iridium and I can’t wait to try my favorite Gillette blades. The head pairs great with the medium weight handle of the Gillette Heritage.

By the way, the Maggard’s V3M head is not the same as the BD176 although they look the same. There is more blade gap on the V3M, making it more aggressive and allowing it to bite if you don’t pay enough attention.
There are subtle differences between the V3M and the BD176 version (including the RazoRock Tek).

My Top Tier Techs, when equipped with my favorite Titanium handles, out shave any of the Clones I tested. Setting aside my two favorite Techs, Gillette's English Tech/NEW Hybrid and German #34, due to price and availability, my third favorite Tech is the Canadian Pre-War with a TiBam or Timeless Titanium Handle or a Charcoal Goods Copper or Brass Dimpled or Maze Handle.

I believe that you have a Pre-War Tech? ;)

20220215_070139~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech (TiBam 'Antique' Titanium Handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: RazoRock Plague Doctor
Aftershave: RazoRock Plague Doctor
20220215_070228~2.jpg

The Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech is an outstanding vintage razor. Wonderful in use and performance! One of my favorite Top Tier Techs! :thumbup:

Yes, the Pre-War Tech really is that good. :)

There are subtle differences between the V3M and the BD176 version (including the RazoRock Tek).

My Top Tier Techs, when equipped with my favorite Titanium handles, out shave any of the Clones I tested. Setting aside my two favorite Techs, Gillette's English Tech/NEW Hybrid and German #34, due to price and availability, my third favorite Tech is the Canadian Pre-War with a TiBam or Timeless Titanium Handle or a Charcoal Goods Copper or Brass Dimpled or Maze Handle.

I believe that you have a Pre-War Tech? ;)

View attachment 1419080
Razor: Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech (TiBam 'Antique' Titanium Handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: RazoRock Plague Doctor
Aftershave: RazoRock Plague Doctor
View attachment 1419079
The Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech is an outstanding vintage razor. Wonderful in use and performance! One of my favorite Top Tier Techs! :thumbup:

Yes, the Pre-War Tech really is that good. :)
I don't know if I could ID a Gillette's English Tech/NEW Hybrid if I had it in my hand. When I look at the attached chart I see nothing identified as Gillette's English Tech/NEW Hybrid. What makes it "hybrid"? What confirms it's real??
1647294373920.png

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if I could ID a Gillette's English Tech/NEW Hybrid if I had it in my hand. When I look at the attached chart I see nothing identified as Gillette's English Tech/NEW Hybrid. What makes it "hybrid"? What confirms it's real??
View attachment 1424004
Here you go:
1939 Tech Hybrid England from Richard Snyder.jpg

Pic from the @mr-razor site.

The Tech/NEW Hybrid is basically a closed comb solid bar version of the NEW Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) OC razor.

If you want to further research the Hybrid, there are numerous posts on B&B discussing the English Tech/NEW Hybrid. A search in the DE Razors room on Tech/NEW Hybrid yielded 25 pages of posts.

Hope this helps. :)

Here you go:
View attachment 1424059

The Tech/NEW Hybrid is basically a closed comb solid bar version of the NEW Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) OC razor.

If you want to further research the Hybrid, there are numerous posts on B&B discussing the English Tech/NEW Hybrid. A search in the DE Razors room on Tech/NEW Hybrid yielded 25 pages of posts.

One of those sold on ebay UK tonight for £416($541) in abo
Here you go:
View attachment 1424059

This just got sold on ebay tonight here in UK nearly had a heart attack when i saw the final price.Screenshot 2022-03-15 at 00-53-26 Gillette Hybrid Tech Vintage DE Safety Razor eBay.pngScreenshot 2022-03-15 at 00-53-41 Gillette Hybrid Tech Vintage DE Safety Razor eBay.pngScreenshot 2022-03-15 at 00-53-56 Gillette Hybrid Tech Vintage DE Safety Razor eBay.pngScreenshot 2022-03-15 at 00-54-23 Gillette Hybrid Tech Vintage DE Safety Razor eBay.pngScreenshot 2022-03-15 at 00-54-32 Gillette Hybrid Tech Vintage DE Safety Razor eBay.pngScreenshot 2022-03-15 at 00-54-52 Gillette Hybrid Tech Vintage DE Safety Razor eBay.png

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately, people are paying crazy prices for Hybrid Techs right now. :(
Why is it unfortunate? A seller has an item, prospective buyers desire the item, the auction determines who is willing to pay the most for that particular example.

Remember also.........you can't take it with you. I've never seen a hearse followed by a Brinks truck. Do what makes you happy and if that means paying what some would consider a high price for a relatively rare and desirable razor, have at it!

Happy shaves to you!

Top Bottom