Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20191015

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Unbranded (Tech Clone Wannabe - link/preview below), MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Post-shave1: Crystal Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Thayers Witch Hazel w/Aloe
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Cologne: Kolonia 1800 Vetiver deCrusellas EdC

This is not a true Tech Clone in that there are four smaller oval slots on each side instead of the two larger slots on the Techs and the Tech Clones.

Blade alignment was problematic. Took a couple of tries to get the Personna Red properly centered.

Only made it WTG and partially XTG when I threw in the towel on this razor. Harsh and inefficient - not my cup of tea.

Every Tech Clone I've shaved with in this series shaves a lot better than this razor. I loaded the Personna in the Tiger and comfortably finished up my shave.

Not recommended.

1.5/10

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Vintage Useful Durable Men's Manual Hand Safety Razor Double Edge Shaver

Vintage Useful Durable Men's Manual Hand Safety Razor Double Edge Shaver | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183239548500

I've done my last two shaves with the Black Tiger razor and, for $10 shipped, I'm very impressed. I like a razor that I can get by with two passes and this does it for me. It looks like it's aggressive based on it's blade exposure but it is definitely not. Smooth, effortless, easy to use and all metal to boot. I had been shaving with a Timeless Aluminum for the week before this and I think I like the Black Tiger just as much in terms of efficiency and it's a little easier on my face.
I would say it may be just a touch behind efficiency of my Prewar Tech, but just by a hair.
What I will say, though, is that the finish isn't the best on my razor. There is a little bit of coating that is missing on the top cap, but that may be done intentionally to make it look vintage. There is also a very small burr on one of the edges that I need to file down eventually, but it's nothing to make me stop using it.
As always, YMMV but this is a pretty sweet little razor that should last a long time!

I've been following this thread and broke down and picked up a Black Tiger. I will report back with my experiences.

My question is this: why buy a clone of an item that can be had for so little money?
Not that I'm worried about it but some don't like using razors that were used by someone else. Another is that you never really know what you're going to get with vintage razors. I've had some luck and I've been bitten by rotten sellers. Finally, it's hard to find a full steel razor for $10 shipped. Even vintage brass you'd be hard pressed to get it for that cheap shipped.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My question is this: why buy a clone of an item that can be had for so little money?

My stated opinion is that the Techs from Pre-war Techs through the 1950s heavy Ball End Techs are some of the best razors ever made - as long as you prefer the Tech type of shave and learn how to best shave with a tech.

If you do not want to shave with used razors (even after sterilizing), the Black Tiger offers a good shave for $11 including shipping.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Because each of the clones have something different about them (kind of like the movie Multiplicity) and so each allows me to discover something new and different. If it's something I don't like, it gets PIF'd. If it's something I like, then I've got a new toy.

No wonder why this head made originally by Gillette is the most known around the world. It works. I just prefer the original, especially if I can add it to my collection for less than 10 euros. That's all. If you are not into vintage, I respect that.

No wonder why this head made originally by Gillette is the most known around the world. It works. I just prefer the original, especially if I can add it to my collection for less than 10 euros. That's all. If you are not into vintage, I respect that.
definitely into vintage, also into modern. variety is the spice of life.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Because each of the clones have something different about them (kind of like the movie Multiplicity) and so each allows me to discover something new and different. If it's something I don't like, it gets PIF'd. If it's something I like, then I've got a new toy.
^^^ +1 to this. ^^^

Took the Black Tiger for a spin today and it's $10 well spent. At this price it might become my permanent travel razor. It's got a good weight for such a small razor and was a great shave (used a Personna Red for the blade). Not as smooth as the original Gillette Tech, but it feels more aggressive.

Hi everyone,

Took me about 15 minutes to get through all of the previous posts. I shaved today with the Black Tiger. It was a good shave and I gave it a rating of 9/10 over in the thread of what did you shave with today. I do not know how this compares with a real tech as I am still trying to buy one I like. My baseline razor is Merkur 34C.

I am very pleased with the Black Tiger, but agree with the overall plating/powder coating being a bit Meh as far as quality. I used the razor today as it came from Global Shave Club, but tomorrow for run I will throw the head onto the MR11 handle I have from Maggard Razors. It was a DFS though today.

Yesterday I used my V3M head with the MR16 handle I have and gave the rating of 8/10 since the shave didn't make it to DFS. It is a well made head and the powder coat/plating is nice. I got the Grey one. I will try it with the MR11 handle in the future.

A few weeks ago I got the wetshavingclub.com Vintage Style razor and shaved with it. It appears after research to be the same as the RazoRock Tech II. It is more aggressive than both the Black Tiger and the V3M. It was more aggressive than my Merkur 34C. I think I gave it a 9/10, but I need to try it again with a blade I like more, and also with the MR11 handle.

I also have the Global Shave Club Sumatra razor with is also a Tech Clone. I can say right off the bat that the platting is much better on the Sumatra than the Black Tiger. The handle that the Sumatra comes with also fits much better than the handle the Black Tiger comes with. I do have to say though that it was weird that the Sumatra came in a plastic bag, and the Black Tiger came in a box.

Overall I am excited to see how these Tech Clone Wars end up, and will be letting you all know my experiences as I keep buying more Tech Clones, and hopefully soon a nice clean Tech.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

Took me about 15 minutes to get through all of the previous posts. I shaved today with the Black Tiger. It was a good shave and I gave it a rating of 9/10 over in the thread of what did you shave with today. I do not know how this compares with a real tech as I am still trying to buy one I like. My baseline razor is Merkur 34C.

I am very pleased with the Black Tiger, but agree with the overall plating/powder coating being a bit Meh as far as quality. I used the razor today as it came from Global Shave Club, but tomorrow for run I will throw the head onto the MR11 handle I have from Maggard Razors. It was a DFS though today.

Yesterday I used my V3M head with the MR16 handle I have and gave the rating of 8/10 since the shave didn't make it to DFS. It is a well made head and the powder coat/plating is nice. I got the Grey one. I will try it with the MR11 handle in the future.

A few weeks ago I got the wetshavingclub.com Vintage Style razor and shaved with it. It appears after research to be the same as the RazoRock Tech II. It is more aggressive than both the Black Tiger and the V3M. It was more aggressive than my Merkur 34C. I think I gave it a 9/10, but I need to try it again with a blade I like more, and also with the MR11 handle.

I also have the Global Shave Club Sumatra razor with is also a Tech Clone. I can say right off the bat that the platting is much better on the Sumatra than the Black Tiger. The handle that the Sumatra comes with also fits much better than the handle the Black Tiger comes with. I do have to say though that it was weird that the Sumatra came in a plastic bag, and the Black Tiger came in a box.

Overall I am excited to see how these Tech Clone Wars end up, and will be letting you all know my experiences as I keep buying more Tech Clones, and hopefully soon a nice clean Tech.

Great comments and feedback!

When comparing the various clones, I used them all on a Maggard MR11 handle in order to compare clone head to clone head with the handle as a constant.

As it was pointed out to me (AFTER I bought all four ;)), the Maggard V3M, RazoRock Teck II, RazoRock DE-1 and this no name clone CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor + 20 Blades + 20% Discount | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132469432746 all use the same head. The different handles have different weights and different balance points. Using the same handle, they should all shave the same.

Be interested in your feedback using the MR11 handle.

Great comments and feedback!

When comparing the various clones, I used them all on a Maggard MR11 handle in order to compare clone head to clone head with the handle as a constant.

As it was pointed out to me (AFTER I bought all four ;)), the Maggard V3M, RazoRock Teck II, RazoRock DE-1 and this no name clone CHROME Double Edge Safety Razor + 20 Blades + 20% Discount | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132469432746 all use the same head. The different handles have different weights and different balance points. Using the same handle, they should all shave the same.

Be interested in your feedback using the MR11 handle.

I just took a very close look at my wetshavingclub.com razor which I believe to be a teck II and it isn’t exactly the same as the Maggard V3M. It is supper close, but there were three tiny differences.

1) the threaded posts on the top caps are different where they attach. The V3M looks like it is a seamless attachment the wetshavingclub has a slight ring around the post.
F1C697FA-FE3E-4AEF-BF7D-E5AF2DF4A125.jpeg

2) the teeth on the safety bar seem to be just slightly more rounded off before the two openings where the shaving cream can go through on the wetshavingclub.com base plate.
1A823627-A094-477E-BA61-186D06D7233B.jpeg

3) the side of the safety bar where it meets the top cap is slightly shorter on the V3M and a little more slanted towards the top cap.
98B1A0E1-63D4-4120-AE21-BEDEEE4C62AE.jpeg

But in all honesty, these are extremely similar even side by side, but when I shaved they cut very differently and feel very different. I will have to try them side by side at some point, but I have a feeling there are some geometry differences to these two heads. The parts do fit together though so maybe what I am seeing is just a bit of variance from the polishing of the raw material before the platting/final coating was applied. But I still rank the razors as V3M, Black Tiger, wetshavingclub.com in order from mild-aggressive and it is noticeable to me the differences in them. But as always YMMV.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I just took a very close look at my wetshavingclub.com razor which I believe to be a teck II and it isn’t exactly the same as the Maggard V3M. It is supper close, but there were three tiny differences.

1) the threaded posts on the top caps are different where they attach. The V3M looks like it is a seamless attachment the wetshavingclub has a slight ring around the post.
View attachment 1029069

2) the teeth on the safety bar seem to be just slightly more rounded off before the two openings where the shaving cream can go through on the wetshavingclub.com base plate.
View attachment 1029070

3) the side of the safety bar where it meets the top cap is slightly shorter on the V3M and a little more slanted towards the top cap.
View attachment 1029071

But in all honesty, these are extremely similar even side by side, but when I shaved they cut very differently and feel very different. I will have to try them side by side at some point, but I have a feeling there are some geometry differences to these two heads. The parts do fit together though so maybe what I am seeing is just a bit of variance from the polishing of the raw material before the platting/final coating was applied. But I still rank the razors as V3M, Black Tiger, wetshavingclub.com in order from mild-aggressive and it is noticeable to me the differences in them. But as always YMMV.
Great eyes!

I'll put on my 'throw up if I try to walk while wearing them' cheaters and examine the various heads of this type. Will be interesting to see.

If you feel differences between these heads wben shaving, that's good enough for me. Maybe, between the razors you have and the razors I have of this type, we can figure this out.

Top Bottom