What's new

The Society of Ancient* Rolls Razor Shavers (SOARRS)

Rolls excellence here in Devon tonight too:

proxy.php

Privet, ROLLS SOCIETY, I had the opportunity to use my ROLLS for the first time today. It was a nice shave but not great. I'm looking for better in the near future. I have read that the blade gets better with time.

View attachment 668744

Privet, ROLLS SOCIETY, I had the opportunity to use my ROLLS for the first time today. It was a nice shave but not great. I'm looking for better in the near future. I have read that the blade gets better with time.

View attachment 668744

Not sure what you were reading. Could you put that "better with time" comment in context? If the shave wasn't great today there's 2 possibilities: 1) you need to get the edge properly sharpened/honed and/or 2) if the blade is fine, then work on your technique. #2 is the only explanation for a blade "getting better with time". It's really you who will be getting better with time as you learn how to wield the blade ;-)
Give yourself a few weeks to really hone your technique. Rolls shaving technique is different from DE and eve cutthroat shaving. So give yourself some time to get it right. You'll be glad you did.

Steve

Not sure what you were reading. Could you put that "better with time" comment in context? If the shave wasn't great today there's 2 possibilities: 1) you need to get the edge properly sharpened/honed and/or 2) if the blade is fine, then work on your technique. #2 is the only explanation for a blade "getting better with time". It's really you who will be getting better with time as you learn how to wield the blade ;-)
Give yourself a few weeks to really hone your technique. Rolls shaving technique is different from DE and eve cutthroat shaving. So give yourself some time to get it right. You'll be glad you did.

Steve
Steve by better with time I mean actually giving the blade time to rest between shaves. Also, the blade has been honed by Marcus as the Rolls was actually one I purchased from him. I chalk it up to getting more experience wielding the Rolls and not looking for the same results I get with my Damaskeene. So let's say it's the shaver not the shave

Found this today (after a very quick search) after I saw a truncated version on the 'bay. Instructions for RR Strop Dressing usage. FYI: I use Fromm Strop Dressing with a small amount of FeOX powder mixed in on all of my strops and it works quite nicely.

"ROLLS RAZOR STROP DRESSING

Apply a small portion of the dressing with a piece of clean rag
wrapped over the finger, and rub it well into the leather until
absorbed. Wipe the surface with rag to remove excess dressing.

If the strop is greasy or dirty, it should first be cleaned by
rubbing lightly with sand paper and then wiped with rag to remove
dust or sand grit.

Grit or dust on strop will damage the razor edge.

NOTE.--PIECE OF SAND PAPER ENCLOSED HEREWITH."

$s-l1600.jpg

Best,
Jerry
echo4golf

Found this today (after a very quick search) after I saw a truncated version on the 'bay. Instructions for RR Strop Dressing usage. FYI: I use Fromm Strop Dressing with a small amount of FeOX powder mixed in on all of my strops and it works quite nicely.

"ROLLS RAZOR STROP DRESSING

Apply a small portion of the dressing with a piece of clean rag
wrapped over the finger, and rub it well into the leather until
absorbed. Wipe the surface with rag to remove excess dressing.

If the strop is greasy or dirty, it should first be cleaned by
rubbing lightly with sand paper and then wiped with rag to remove
dust or sand grit.

Grit or dust on strop will damage the razor edge.

NOTE.--PIECE OF SAND PAPER ENCLOSED HEREWITH."

View attachment 715251

Best,
Jerry
echo4golf

Very cool. Thanks.
I wonder if a mixture of Ferox paste and Neetsfoot oil would work as a dressing.

Excellent! I wonder what was in the original Rolls dressing apart from the obvious FeOx?
I use FeOx powder mixed with mineral oil and it does a great job on the strop.
Ha ha - once it's on your fingers that paste gets EVERYWHERE!

So, I was setting up to use my Rolls again this morning. I figured, "it's out and I like it. Why not just use it for a bit instead of the Sexto..." Anyway, I was setting up the Rolls this morning and had the "good" blade ready to go when I decided to give the hone in the case another try. I've not had a lot of luck with it in the past but I've also not used it all that much. The "not-so-good" blade is probably the first I honed (see top of thread) and I just never got back to it.

Anyway, I set it up and ran it carefully for about 10 minutes. Now, the thing to remember with the case hone is that you use it much differently than the strop. With the latter, you're pretty much going full tilt and should be hearing a "thwapita-thwapita-thwapita" sound as the blade hits the strop. With the former you're looking for a pretty distinctive "snick-click" sound as first the guard and then the blade touches down on the hone G-E-N-T-L-Y. I paid close attention to this as well as to running the thing smoothly on the stone. I've had limited luck (or patience) with these two things in the past.

After the honing, I ran the blade on the strop using the four-way technique at the top of the thread, about 30 seconds on a side.

The shave was like with a new blade: smooth with no pulling at all. As with the last time I touched up a blade, it left a bit of irritation but I expect that will clear up. Very nice indeed and I didn't have to break out the honing gear.

I think I'll keep using this baby for awhile.

By the bye, did anyone see the pouched set on eBay? It looked brand new and closed yesterday at $19.99 + $9.99 shipping. It was a nice looking set indeed.

Jerry

So I take it you're a stoner, not a honer, huh? :a30::001_302:

I've prepared my Rolls blades both ways: honing in the Rolls and taping the blade and using stones. A
Though I found the stone method gave the best edge, the shave from a properly honed (in the Rolls) was close enough that I've stopped using the stones. Be advised though that to bring an old blade up to speed in the Rolls, you may have to take it through 100+ up/back strokes. Also, and you may already know this, honiing in the device should proceed slowly at the "flips" so you don't chip the edge by slamming it it the honing stone. Quiet double clicks is all you should hear at each flip turn.
One way or the other though, once you get an edge on your Rolls, it will give a great shave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This weekend I was gifted a late 50vs Viscount Rolls Razor in great shape and in its original box. This was further proof of how little I really know about shaving...despite the ubiquity, I had no idea what it was or how it worked. The directions in the box cleared things up quickly and B&B filled in the blanks admirably.

What an ingenious device!

Though I am currently a novice straight shaver, I will make an exception and add this into the rotation. It's all honed up (from the integrated stone) and ready to go.

Is SOARRS accepting new members if all goes as well as I hope?

Greetings, SOARRS!
I'm relatively new to wet-shaving (just about a year under my belt) and entirely new to the Rolls Razor phenomenon. I wasn't even familiar with this art-deco wonder until just a few weeks ago when I saw one in an antique store in Hannibal, MO. The man at the store introduced it to me as a "Rolls-Royce Razor" (har) and talked it up, saying they wanted to make a razor as classy as the car. Took one look at the razor and saw his easy mistake, so I said I was intrigued but would have to come back. Down the rabbit hole I've gone, and while the one he had wasn't in good enough condition (I couldn't get the blade into the handle and so didn't want to pull the trigger until I knew more), I found a really nice 1953 (D 53-5) Viscount model on Ebay and have been learning all I can about it. Thanks in great part to Jerry's tutelage in this thread and on his blog, I realized that I sadly have a model with a cork strop - and that the previous owner somewhere along the line ended up letting the blade post put a good gouge in said cork.

I've used just the kit itself so far and felt like I had a decent hone with the case stone (it sliced arm-hair well and gave a good slice on my finger without my even realizing it at one point), but I feel like the cork strop is entirely unsatisfactory - not to mention that I'm worried about the gouge because it'll ruin any edge I try to keep. I had my first shave with it this morning and even with the strop being what it is and a complete lack of SE experience, I'd read enough at this point (and the original instruction book that came with the kit!) to know to shave flat to the face and use a gentle hand. I managed a SAS between novice technique and a blade that likely still needs some work.

Seeing as this brotherhood is still somewhat active, I wondered if any generous brothers out there might be open to helping a little - I know Jerry and some of the other folks have mentioned they have some spare parts. If someone has a spare leather strop and maybe a spare blade that they'd be willing to part with, I'd love to get in touch. My Viscount is in pretty phenomenal shape already and I'd like to work with the vintage kit before I look into investing in honing equipment and films to make a 21st century model. I get the feeling that if I can get my kit in tip-top shape and then commit to "honing" my technique, this might be the last razor I ever need to buy.

Glad to see other enthusiasts for "The Whetter" exist!

Thought I'd give an update on my Rolls journey:
While the cork board strop is probably far from ideal, I've definitely gotten what I think is a fine edge on the blade without doing anything to the hone or the strop. I don't have anywhere near the experience of most of the folks already in this group, so I can only imagine what this razor can accomplish under more skilled hands than mine. I've still wanted to replace the cork strop with a good leather piece, so I went to a few antique stores in our area and found three or four Rolls kits, but they were all either asking too much or the kits weren't in good enough shape to justify spending more than I would have for better on the 'Bay. I found another good, hopefully complete (there were no pictures of a handle, but I can live without an extra if need be) kit for a solid price, so once it arrives in a few days I can set to work reconditioning the strop. I'll have to decide whether I want to move the strop to my Viscount or start using this new kit, instead, but that'll be a fun decision to have to make.

In the meantime, I've worked a little bit more on honing on the stone - really getting the "two clicks" advice and taking my time, and then stropping the blade per the wiki instructions. Today was my second shave with the Rolls (I usually give several days between shaves unless the situation requires more frequent shaving - my technique/skin combination aren't happy with daily shaving right now. Tried out a new soap (Chiseled Face's Summer Thunderstorm) and today feels even better than Thursday did. Definitely a CCS bordering on a DFS, and I think it has more to do with me needing to develop better technique than any fault of the blade. The places on my face that are slightly rough still are the ones that I normally end up having with my DE experiences (and even when I used a cartridge shaver), so I'm excited to improve and make this my go-to razor!

Thanks again to all of you who've been blazing this trail already - it's made a huge difference from just trying to watch guys on YouTube who try to use it like a safety razor and talk about how frustrating it is.

Hi all,

Does anyone know of someone that will hone Roll blades back into serviceability? I recently acquired Viscount complete with spare blade and have enjoyed refurbishing the case and getting the to know the razor. I have shaved with it almost exclusively for about a week. While the shaves have slowly improved between a combination of improved technique and repeated hone/strop cycles, I just can't seem to get the blade over the "hump" of acceptable sharpness. It really struggles (tugs) through the heavy growth in the chin area.
Thanks,

I currently have four Rools razors, three Imperials and a Viscount, two of the Imperials are the nickel on brass cases, the other one is an aluminium case and one on the nickel plated ones came in the leather wallet, I'm not sure of the age of the one in the wallet, the blade is dated '37' but when I removed the hone to clean it, on the reverse is a date stamp '13 FEB 1956', so at some point, either the blade has been replaced or the hone has been replaced!
I've just started using the Viscount as the blade in this was pretty good and after several years of DE shaving I'm enjoying the challenge of using the Rolls

Steve

I currently have four Rools razors, three Imperials and a Viscount, two of the Imperials are the nickel on brass cases, the other one is an aluminium case and one on the nickel plated ones came in the leather wallet, I'm not sure of the age of the one in the wallet, the blade is dated '37' but when I removed the hone to clean it, on the reverse is a date stamp '13 FEB 1956', so at some point, either the blade has been replaced or the hone has been replaced!
I've just started using the Viscount as the blade in this was pretty good and after several years of DE shaving I'm enjoying the challenge of using the Rolls

Steve
Still one of my favorites. I've still got one blade that's not quite sharp enough, but so many razors, so few shaves!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I don't think I can sully the SOA*RR just yet as I have not had what I would call an acceptable and/or complete shave with mine just yet. It's not the instrument's fault, however I'm not a quitter. In fact, I might have a little too much of St. Jude in me.

Top Bottom