What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

I popped an order for Voskhods and Nacets from Italian Barber so I’m good now.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Congratulations to everyone who made it through. You know the sabbatical is truly a success for you if you did NOT fill your online shopping cart oodles of stuff to celebrate. :tongue_sm

For those that fell by the wayside, it took me several years of trying before I was a victor and then then follow-on years were easy ... unless there was something that I actually wanted, rather than impulse-buying.

Thanks, @Pepin for doing such a great job! You rock! :ouch1:

Last edited:
You know the sabbatical is truly a success for you if you did NOT fill your online shopping cart oodles of stuff to celebrate. :tongue_sm

^^^^^^^
Yes to this!

A lot of people don't get this. How is it an achievement to make it through the year not buying anything when you buy a bunch of stuff at the beginning of the year? Instead of buying throughout the year your buying it at the beginning of the year instead. It's counter to the reason one would join a sabbatical in the first place. If the "stock up period" were limited to only needs then the shopping lists would in most cases be eliminated or would be a fraction of what they were going to be.

^^^^^^^
Yes to this!

A lot of people don't get this. How is it an achievement to make it through the year not buying anything when you buy a bunch of stuff at the beginning of the year? Instead of buying throughout the year your buying it at the beginning of the year instead. It's counter to the reason one would join a sabbatical in the first place. If the "stock up period" were limited to only needs then the shopping lists would in most cases be eliminated or be a fraction of what they were going to be.

That's the rule for the 2020s 10-year restraint. People can stock up before, but buying during the restraint is limited to needs only. It's the same for the 2020-2024 Leap Year restraint.

Congratulations to all the survivors, and thanks to Pepin.

I made it, for the fifth year in a row.

I already did my restock, which went beyond what was strictly required, but was a strategic move for the long game. I ordered Speick and Lucky Tiger aftershaves, which are likely to run out in 2020. A couple of Ach Brito glycerine soaps, which along with cold water will have me set for preshave prep for a few years.

The strategic moves were to order two Saponificio Varesino soaps and a quantity of Bic blades, none of which I have tried. From what others have said, I am expecting these soaps and blades to suit me well. I like that the SV soaps steer clear of palm oil. And the long game is to find another soap or two that I really enjoy so that my stockpile of Haslinger tallow soaps can last forever.

I guess that focus on the long game is what I have learned in these years of sabbatical. Two years ago my restock was heavy with Haslinger tallow soaps. Last year I bought nothing. Next year I may buy nothing.

^^^^^^^
Yes to this!

A lot of people don't get this. How is it an achievement to make it through the year not buying anything when you buy a bunch of stuff at the beginning of the year? Instead of buying throughout the year your buying it at the beginning of the year instead. It's counter to the reason one would join a sabbatical in the first place. If the "stock up period" were limited to only needs then the shopping lists would in most cases be eliminated or would be a fraction of what they were going to be.

While I am very happy for both of you achieving success in your goals, I have to respectfully disagree on these statements and point to the start of the sabbatical:

The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimizers, denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your ADs, prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road.

People join for different reasons. It is possible that someone realized they have a tendency to make impulse purchases when they see a sale or a cheap product in a store. They joined the sabbatical so that they have a year to perform, "market research" or to learn their current setup and make purchases based on verified wants/needs during the restock period.

Someone else could have joined because they have a hobby budget and tend to overspend when they buy things throughout the year. Doing the sabbatical helps force them to budget while getting all of the spending done at a time where he/she can plan for it.

Another person might just want to figure out the logistics of planning for a year of shaving.

There are a ton of things you could learn from doing this and, at the end of the day, it is still a hobby. I found out that I am not a big fan of a couple of my brushes so will probably end up buying a new one even though I could continue using the brushes that I avoid using. Some people enjoy trying things and might buy a lot and give away some of it later.

I am all for minimizing restocks and getting to a place of need-based purchasing, however, I don't think having an interest in buying numerous things during the restock window makes someone less successful at not purchasing shaving items throughout the year. That said, made it through 2019, am looking forward to our reckless (and hopefully wreckless?) road trip through 2020.

I am not sure what I am going to end up purchasing this week, but I look forward to getting to know that equipment over the coming year. Happy New Year everyone!

Hi,

This is my sixth straight year. Between year five and six, I bought nothing. I can't recall if I bought anything other than my AS between four and five. But, you get the idea. Some years I had an exception. Others none. And so on.

Stan

Checking in, mission accomplished. Congratulations to my fellow survivors, and a huge thank you to @Pepin for encouraging us.
Signing up for the 2020 run, I guess. I'll get my restock order in.

3 and done. Back to buying what I need when I need it.

This is what I'm aiming for by participating in the sabbaticals. Eventually I'd like to have the 1 soap that I'm using on hand and then buying another soap only when that one is about to run out. I'm 1-2 years away from that. I see having 3-4 aftershaves on hand for variety and only getting a new one when one of the old ones is used up. I'm probably 2-3+ years away from that. Blades I'll eventually buy 50-100 at a time when I run out of my current supply. I'm probably 9+ years away from that.

Top Bottom