What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

May 28, 2018 Monday

Shave #4

Plate:
R6
Preshave: Proraso Pre-shave Cream
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Silvertip badger
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Mirto Di Sardegna
Aftershave: Vintage Avon Oland cologne

Plate R6 was, as to be expected, the most efficient. My usual WTG, XTG and ATG shave. A very nice BBS with no buffing or touchups. Again, a very comfortable, smooth shave with no weepers or irritation. I did not exercise any undue caution when using this plate. I will shave with the Rockwell again tomorrow, summarize my thoughts and then clean and Barbicide the razor and ship it off.

May 29, 2018 Tuesday

Shave #5

Plate:
R6 & R3
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Brush: Stirling black and white synthetic 2-band 24mm
Soap: Tallow + Steel Himalaya
Aftershave: Vintage Avon Deep Woods after shave

A little change in the routine today. Plate R6 was used for the WTG and XTG passes. Then R3 was used for the ATG pass. My beard needed some buffing and touchups wth the R3 for a BBS shave. The R3 made for extra work. Still, it was a smooth and comfortable shave with no weepers or irrigation. If I purchased this razor, I think I would complete the entire shave with one plate rather than switching plates during the shave. The plates would be selected according to how much growth I had.

Final thoughts:
This is a well constructed, quality piece. Every plate aligned the blade properly. There was no fussing to align the edge or to adjust one edge with the other. I just checked the edges before shaving to make sure. This could be a great razor for a person new to DE razors. The low numbered plates would be great for starting out and the others could be used as skill progressed.
I was impressed with the smoothness of the shaves no matter which plate I used. I cannot use an aggressive razor without weepers or some irritation at least. I know some call this a very mild razor but plates 5 and 6 performed excellently for me with no irritation.
And yes, the razor is heavy and the design of the dual plate makes the head clunky. But, after the first pass, I didn't notice it any longer. Also, since I have a mustache, the head was not a problem.

Conclusion: The Rockwell 6s performed as well as or better than most of my DE razors. I know of no higher praise than that I am considering purchasing one.

Thanks to GlazedBoker for providing the pass around.

May 29, 2018 Tuesday

Shave #5

Plate:
R6 & R3
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)
Brush: Stirling black and white synthetic 2-band 24mm
Soap: Tallow + Steel Himalaya
Aftershave: Vintage Avon Deep Woods after shave

A little change in the routine today. Plate R6 was used for the WTG and XTG passes. Then R3 was used for the ATG pass. My beard needed some buffing and touchups wth the R3 for a BBS shave. The R3 made for extra work. Still, it was a smooth and comfortable shave with no weepers or irrigation. If I purchased this razor, I think I would complete the entire shave with one plate rather than switching plates during the shave. The plates would be selected according to how much growth I had.

Final thoughts:
This is a well constructed, quality piece. Every plate aligned the blade properly. There was no fussing to align the edge or to adjust one edge with the other. I just checked the edges before shaving to make sure. This could be a great razor for a person new to DE razors. The low numbered plates would be great for starting out and the others could be used as skill progressed.
I was impressed with the smoothness of the shaves no matter which plate I used. I cannot use an aggressive razor without weepers or some irritation at least. I know some call this a very mild razor but plates 5 and 6 performed excellently for me with no irritation.
And yes, the razor is heavy and the design of the dual plate makes the head clunky. But, after the first pass, I didn't notice it any longer. Also, since I have a mustache, the head was not a problem.

Conclusion: The Rockwell 6s performed as well as or better than most of my DE razors. I know of no higher praise than that I am considering purchasing one.

Thanks to GlazedBoker for providing the pass around.
Thanks for your reviews. Enjoyed reading them.

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (completed)
-Dfoulk (completed)
-kxthor (completed)
-Graydog (completed)
-Grundi (completed)
-Cut Throat (completed)
-Newmania (completed)
-Dave in Ky (completed)
-dezmil (completed)
-JimDandy (completed)
-dmshaver (completed)
-Ray Settanta (in hand testing)
-Gorris (on deck)
-Odenihy (in the hole)
-DeathKnell
-sgarnett
-Boghopper

Another member to add to the the tour list, @Boghopper as per his request.

Get your shave on Gents.... :shaving:

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (completed)
-Dfoulk (completed)
-kxthor (completed)
-Graydog (completed)
-Grundi (completed)
-Cut Throat (completed)
-Newmania (completed)
-Dave in Ky (completed)
-dezmil (completed)
-JimDandy (completed)
-dmshaver (completed)
-Ray Settanta (in hand testing)
-Gorris (on deck)
-Odenihy (in the hole)
-DeathKnell
-sgarnett
-Boghopper
-Hands Soslo

Another member to add to the tour list, @Hands Soslo as per his request.....

Get your shave on Gents... :shaving:

Friday June 1, 2018
Shave #1

Plate:
R1 / R3
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Maggard Razor synthetic 24mm
Soap: Stirling Shaving Soap Witchy Woman
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

My first impressions of the razor were that it is really well constructed and I love the weight of it. I'm not really fan of the finish. I'm more of a "Shiny" kind of guy.

Started out using the R1 plate to judge how the shave was going to go. I made a few strokes on my cheek and could tell I need to increase the aggressiveness of the razor. I then used the R3 for the rest of the shaving session. I shaved WTG, XTG, and ATG. The weight of the razor feels similar to my Merkur Futur and I really like that aspect of the razor. This is probably one of the easiest shaves I have had in a long time. I will be purchasing one of these in the chrome for sure. I going to give my face a couple days of growth over the weekend and then try shaving with the R4 plate and see how it goes. If the R4 is too aggressive I might just pick up the 2c.

Thanks Gorris, good first shave review. I felt the R4 plate was as mild as I would want to go, and prefer the 5 & 6 plates. Each of us are different, that’s why Rockwell makes plates 1-6, something there for everyone.

Friday June 1, 2018
Shave #1

Plate:
R1 / R3
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Maggard Razor synthetic 24mm
Soap: Stirling Shaving Soap Witchy Woman
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

My first impressions of the razor were that it is really well constructed and I love the weight of it. I'm not really fan of the finish. I'm more of a "Shiny" kind of guy.

Started out using the R1 plate to judge how the shave was going to go. I made a few strokes on my cheek and could tell I need to increase the aggressiveness of the razor. I then used the R3 for the rest of the shaving session. I shaved WTG, XTG, and ATG. The weight of the razor feels similar to my Merkur Futur and I really like that aspect of the razor. This is probably one of the easiest shaves I have had in a long time. I will be purchasing one of these in the chrome for sure. I going to give my face a couple days of growth over the weekend and then try shaving with the R4 plate and see how it goes. If the R4 is too aggressive I might just pick up the 2c.

Thanks for your report. What I've found works great for me is using R3 for the first shave with a new blade (I use Kai exclusively in it now), then for subsequent shaves through the week go up to R4 and then R5. The flexibility of the 6s to do this with only a single purchase is what sets it aside from most other razors of its class :)

Thanks Gorris, good first shave review. I felt the R4 plate was as mild as I would want to go, and prefer the 5 & 6 plates. Each of us are different, that’s why Rockwell makes plates 1-6, something there for everyone.

I don't have a very course beard and it doesn't grow very fast so I can get away with the 3 for an everyday driver.

Thanks for your report. What I've found works great for me is using R3 for the first shave with a new blade (I use Kai exclusively in it now), then for subsequent shaves through the week go up to R4 and then R5. The flexibility of the 6s to do this with only a single purchase is what sets it aside from most other razors of its class :)

Thats not a bad idea. When I use my Futur I start high and work my way down with passes. Doing it that way seems to cause less irritation.

Updated list:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (completed)
-Johnnynroy (completed)
-himself62 (completed)
-valthun (completed)
-danlaw (Completed)
-Cg006 (completed)
-ShavePastor (completed)
-03Jarhead (completed)
-captnronfl (completed)
-Griever (completed)
-jldallas (completed)
-Dfoulk (completed)
-kxthor (completed)
-Graydog (completed)
-Grundi (completed)
-Cut Throat (completed)
-Newmania (completed)
-Dave in Ky (completed)
-dezmil (completed)
-JimDandy (completed)
-dmshaver (completed)
-Ray Settanta (completed)
-Gorris (in hand testing)
-Odenihy (on deck)
-DeathKnell (in the hole)
-sgarnett
-Bog hopper
-Hands Soslo

Excellent Shave reports & write ups Gentleman. Every single one has been informative with very detailed and precisely written summations/conclusions. We know that everyone’s experience will be unique and their own with some similarities to others as the razor makes the rounds. This pass around has far exceeded my expectations on what I was hoping and shooting for to be honest. We have a great community of individuals that have shared their thoughts and experiences throughout this pass around without a single issue or hiccup. I believe this thread has helped many in helping others see the experiences, reading through the posts while sharing vast amounts of information, tips and techniques that are invaluable to others and all to be quite frank.

I personally thank every one of you gentlemen in making this thread what it has become....:thumbup:

Now get your shave on Gents.... :shaving:

Poor @GlazedBoker He's NEVER gonna see that razor again :a29:

Indeed!!!! :punk:

But, I believe well worth the long absence. Quite a few have benefited from this Tour Pass Around. I have no regrets to be honest as it has been a true pleasure hosting this thing....

Especially for you my good man, as I believe this tour teaser made you reach into your pockets to procure one. Thank you very much!! Haha...
Na-na-na-na-na..... :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2:

48903091-D60B-40B0-A757-0A148E33F302.gif

Indeed!!!! :punk:

But, I believe well worth the long absence. Quite a few have benefited from this Tour Pass Around. I have no regrets to be honest as it has been a true pleasure hosting this thing....

Especially for you my good man, as I believe this tour teaser made you reach into your pockets to procure one. Thank you very much!! Haha...
Na-na-na-na-na..... :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2:

View attachment 887811
Yup. This thread was a great marketing tool, it convinced me to buy one in February, and I've been delighted with it ever since. All the reviews here have been great, sorry for "free riding" on them. My contribution would be, and I've said it in other threads, what I like best about the 6S is that it brings the idea of supplying multiple base plates for a three-piece steel razor, used by the uber-expensive luxury brands, down to the mid-price level. And the execution is first rate.

Top Bottom