What's new

The 'old' rabbit hole

I'm expecting to receive my first vintage purchase in a couple days—a K-3 Slim. I think I got one in pretty good, shave ready (after sterilizing) shape and I'll post some pictures when it arrives. I'm already considering sending out for either a replate (RazorPlate) or full revamp (Back Roads Gold) depending on its actual condition.

With that said, I'm already looking for another vintage purchase and I'm considering either a (silver) Flare Tip or a Fatboy. Can anyone with experience with them give me some insight into the difference?

The Slim ''basically'' covers most Super Speed razors in just one razor in terms of efficiency and most people find it more versatile and efficient than the Fatboy and it's a lot cheaper. Imho, If your Slim is in good condition it's not really worth sending it for replating. You can find a Slim in mint or near mint condition for less than it would cost you to buy one and replate it and also they are not super rare and special to invest that much into them, but if that's what you want to do - go for it.

I'm expecting to receive my first vintage purchase in a couple days—a K-3 Slim. I think I got one in pretty good, shave ready (after sterilizing) shape and I'll post some pictures when it arrives. I'm already considering sending out for either a replate (RazorPlate) or full revamp (Back Roads Gold) depending on its actual condition.

With that said, I'm already looking for another vintage purchase and I'm considering either a (silver) Flare Tip or a Fatboy. Can anyone with experience with them give me some insight into the difference?
Hello, Bundy71,

I don't have a Fat Boy (though if the prices ever come down to Earth levels I'd like one), but my first vintage razor is a Slim. Apparently the settings on the Slim do not correspond exactly to those on the Fat Boy -- if you use a 6 on the Slim, there's no guarantee that setting 6 on the Fat Boy will shave you the same way. I may be wildly off on this, but I seem to recall reading it here.

My one model with a flare tip is the '56 Red Tip, and it's a solid and most excellent razor. It seems to shave me about the same, with everything else being constant, as my Slim does on 6. The RT is supposed to be more aggressive, whatever that might mean for you, than the blue or the plain silver Flare Tips. But all my vintage Gillettes have been fine razors. I doubt you will be disappointed!

You might not like my advice but I think it is better that you first try your Slim before buying anything else.
I don't disagree, especially with where Fatboy prices are right now. I'm really hoping the Slim will be my "end-all" razor, but we know how that goes.

The Slim ''basically'' covers most Super Speed razors in just one razor in terms of efficiency and most people find it more versatile and efficient than the Fatboy and it's a lot cheaper. Imho, If your Slim is in good condition it's not really worth sending it for replating. You can find a Slim in mint or near mint condition for less than it would cost you to buy one and replate it and also they are not super rare and special to invest that much into them, but if that's what you want to do - go for it.
Good info on the Slim, and that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Honestly, the main reason I'd consider sending it for replate/revamp is because of what I've seen on the inside of these in videos. I'm well-inclined mechanically, and if it were a Fatboy I'd take it apart myself, but the crimped end cap of the Slim worries me.

Hello, Bundy71,

I don't have a Fat Boy (though if the prices ever come down to Earth levels I'd like one), but my first vintage razor is a Slim. Apparently the settings on the Slim do not correspond exactly to those on the Fat Boy -- if you use a 6 on the Slim, there's no guarantee that setting 6 on the Fat Boy will shave you the same way. I may be wildly off on this, but I seem to recall reading it here.

My one model with a flare tip is the '56 Red Tip, and it's a solid and most excellent razor. It seems to shave me about the same, with everything else being constant, as my Slim does on 6. The RT is supposed to be more aggressive, whatever that might mean for you, than the blue or the plain silver Flare Tips. But all my vintage Gillettes have been fine razors. I doubt you will be disappointed!
Great info! Thanks! I have very high hopes for my Slim. To me an adjustable is a no-brainer since I've purchased multiple razors chasing the right level of aggression, and have wanted different levels during a shave.

Honestly, the main reason I'd consider sending it for replate/revamp is because of what I've seen on the inside of these in videos. I'm well-inclined mechanically, and if it were a Fatboy I'd take it apart myself, but the crimped end cap of the Slim worries me.

If the plating is decent and the head isn't bent or has any misalignments you don't really have to worry about the rest. Putting the razor inside a ultrasonic cleaner or/and in very hot water for some time will take care of anything inside the razor, but it might remove the painted numbers on the dial. The best you can do is send it for a tune up service to adjust it and clean it thoroughly if what's inside really bothers you. I doubt that anyone is going to charge you more than 30$ for a such service.

I sent my Slim off for a replate after I'd had it about a year, and was positive I'd keep it (and thought it might well be my only razor for the future). Chris at Razorplate.com did mine, and it worked out quite well.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
While this is not an answer to your original post, I just wanted to comment that I've used Chris @ RazorPlate and Chris @ Back Roads Gold and both of them are gentleman who do fine work. Can't go wrong with either one.

And I think you should buy both the Flare Tip and the Fat Boy

And then a SA Black Beauty.... in both 84 & 109mm lenghth. And then a black handle Super Speed. And then a regular Super Speed. And then a Pre War Tech. And then a New Type SC & LC. And then a Milord...and then a Senator.......

The rabbit hole is indeed deep my friend, and there is sooo much to explore.....

It is very user-dependent: I prefer heavier razors, if I have a longer handle. I liked the Slim, it just never saw the frequency my FBs do/did. The end of the FB handle rests on my little finger knuckle, and I hold in the collar area with my thumb and index finger. Obviously, those dimensions aren't the same for everyone. With a 3.5-4" handle, I prefer an overall weight of ~100-115gm/3.5-4oz.

While this is not an answer to your original post, I just wanted to comment that I've used Chris @ RazorPlate and Chris @ Back Roads Gold and both of them are gentleman who do fine work. Can't go wrong with either one.

And I think you should buy both the Flare Tip and the Fat Boy

And then a SA Black Beauty.... in both 84 & 109mm lenghth. And then a black handle Super Speed. And then a regular Super Speed. And then a Pre War Tech. And then a New Type SC & LC. And then a Milord...and then a Senator.......

The rabbit hole is indeed deep my friend, and there is sooo much to explore.....
Apparently you know me! Restraint is definitely not one of my better qualities.

If the plating is decent and the head isn't bent or has any misalignments you don't really have to worry about the rest. Putting the razor inside a ultrasonic cleaner or/and in very hot water for some time will take care of anything inside the razor, but it might remove the painted numbers on the dial. The best you can do is send it for a tune up service to adjust it and clean it thoroughly if what's inside really bothers you. I doubt that anyone is going to charge you more than 30$ for a such service.
If hot, soapy water takes care of the inside, that's all I need to worry about. I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner but already plan on repainting the numbers. The main reason to send it out was to get it taken apart and fully cleaned; the replating part was more of a bonus in my mind. The decision, assuming it cleans up well, will be if it needs any adjustment.

I preferred the Slim over the Fat Boy, but for vintage I preferred an early 50s SS over both. I had to get rid of the adjustables. Too many settings with one razor drove me nuts.

Once you start you won’t stop. I started off like you and now I have over 300 razors sitting in plastic containers in a room. The rabbit hole is deep my friend, very deep indeed.

As scary as it might sound it's all true. You start with one Super Speed and then you want to try them all. Then you hear about British Super Speeds and want to try them as well and after some time you get yourself a NEW LC, but you are curious about the SC and then someone tells you that they are nothing compared to the British RFB. And before you know it, you are on a search for British Aristocrats from all generations and before you know it you have tried pretty much every vintage Gillette minus a few like a Toggle, Bottom dial Fatboy and maybe a Tech Hybrid.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
.......You start with one Super Speed and then you want to try them all. Then you hear about British Super Speeds and want to try them as well and after some time you get yourself a NEW LC, but you are curious about the SC and then someone tells you that they are nothing compared to the British RFB. And before you know it, you are on a search for British Aristocrats from all generations and before you know it you have tried pretty much every vintage Gillette minus a few like a Toggle, Bottom dial Fatboy and maybe a Tech Hybrid.

This sums up my experience almost verbatim.

Top Bottom