What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Another Astra just arrived. 901 ?
proxy.php

Another razor that shares the same handle as the Cooper adjustable, Hospital Brand, Club and others.
speedway.jpg speedway1.jpg

Speedway razor, sold in both chrome and gold.

That Gibbs is a really nice piece.

I did not really register when I got it either. I have a box full of oddballs that got put away sometime in the past & forgotten. As I am reducing things I don't need (and should not have bought) I went through it. Very surprised and pleased when the Gibbs emerged.

Here is one you don't see everyday a Cooper adjustable.

It works by aligning the cap and base plate using the 2 marking on each. Tighten it down as far as you can where the arrow on the handle lines up with an x or o. You get at least one full turn counterclockwise to adjust the gap. Adjustment is done by the that piece of metal on the base plate it works like a flexible shim.
View attachment 938704 View attachment 938705 View attachment 938706 View attachment 938707

From Robert Waits, Waits Safety Razor Compendium. H/T @mrchick
View attachment 938708

Proof this is a Cooper.
Newspaper advertisement from 1946. Researching this shows that based on newspaper adverts the Kant Rust blades appear in 43, Kant Rust razors appear in 44 and are sold until 48. The Kant Rust adjustable first appears in 46 sold until ?? but if multiple years then 46 - 48. The no adjustable Kant Rust was probably sold 44 - 48.
Source newspapers.com
10/3/1946 The Sedalia Democrat

IMG_20190215_222207627.jpg
IMG_20190215_222155336.jpg
IMG_20190215_222244314.jpg

Tuckmar Solingen

I know nothing about this but I like how it shaves. Makes me think of a more forgiving Gillette's old type.

Safety bar one side & open comb the other

Proof this is a Cooper.
Newspaper advertisement from 1946. Researching this shows that based on newspaper adverts the Kant Rust blades appear in 43, Kant Rust razors appear in 44 and are sold until 48. The Kant Rust adjustable first appears in 46 sold until ?? but if multiple years then 46 - 48. The no adjustable Kant Rust was probably sold 44 - 48.
Source newspapers.com
10/3/1946 The Sedalia Democrat

14.8 shaves per blade? That last 20% of the 15th shave must be brutal! Or do you have to stop with 1/5th of your face still unshaved to change the blade?

I really think that the copy writer should have rounded up or down in this case.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Found another re-branded Merkur slant -- excellent barely used condition Coles NY cutlery with the Coles blade.

full

Always a pleasure to see this thread going on ! Some of my recent acquisitions include :

RollFix razor, head is a gillette clone but handle has a unique design :

Elka bakelite case, sadly the razor wasn't in it... so I don't know if it looks as cool as the case it was in :

Top Bottom