What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

I enjoy Stahly razors.

22853111_10214187433422472_8623587425119318611_n.jpg

Thanks. Guess one or two will do then :) .
Absolutely. For me, I found one in a junk box and got it restored. Then I was hooked and anytime I saw one on Ebay that had the shipper and paperwork I added it to the collection. They really are a fine shaver and sell for dirt cheap. There is no reason to own as many as I do but hey I am just fascinated by them.

Absolutely. For me, I found one in a junk box and got it restored. Then I was hooked and anytime I saw one on Ebay that had the shipper and paperwork I added it to the collection. They really are a fine shaver and sell for dirt cheap. There is no reason to own as many as I do but hey I am just fascinated by them.
If you ever find yourself with an extra head I can use a backup. Among my 100 or so DEs the Stahly lives right in front where I can reach it often. People focus on the handle but the leaf spring suspension, fixed roller style guard and covered tabs are brilliant. If I were a daily driver kinda guy the Stahly would be a top contender.
proxy.php

Here is one you don't see everyday a Cooper adjustable.

It works by aligning the cap and base plate using the 2 marking on each. Tighten it down as far as you can where the arrow on the handle lines up with an x or o. You get at least one full turn counterclockwise to adjust the gap. Adjustment is done by the that piece of metal on the base plate it works like a flexible shim.
View attachment 938704 View attachment 938705 View attachment 938706 View attachment 938707

From Robert Waits, Waits Safety Razor Compendium. H/T @mrchick
View attachment 938708

It is possible this is also a Hospital brand safety razor.
any informations about this razor available?

I have a non adjustable one but the handle still has an arrow on it.

View attachment 938817 View attachment 938818
Does it have any branding on cap? I know the Club version does, the Hospital version I don't know if it would but do know both had those shoulders on them unlike the later Cooper and Doehler-Jarvis which use the same handle.

It is also possible you have a frankenrazor with the Hospital Razor cap and base plate and later model Cooper or Doehler-Jarvis handle. Same basic handle design with that arrow being what distinguishes the both.

What I can ascertain is that handle design was originally done by Century Laboratories, Hospital Razors and Club were 2 of their brands. The adjustable using that flexible shim was introduced Consolidated Razor Blade Company which made the Berkeley razor.
Whether both companies were related I do not know.

Cooper it looks like came up with their own variation on the both which I still think is what I have, but my guess is they didn't manufacture it in house, they used Doehler-Jarvis which in turn later on made their own branded version.

It has no markings on the cap or the base plate but otherwise it's identical to the Hospital and Cooper non adjustable.

The handle is identical to that of one of the Krect models.
Correct but it is not a Krect razor. It is not a Berkeley either. It is not a Doehler-Javris though it could have been made by Doehler-Jarvis for Cooper. It is not a Club razor, Club had branding on theirs. It might be a Hospital but until I see an example that is identical without branding that is a TBC.

Based on everything I've read and seen I am sticking with it is a Cooper unless proven otherwise.

I had an unbranded, non-adjustable one that I gave away. It was unboxed as well, but sold to me (on the bst here) as a Hospital.

My Hospital

proxy.php

proxy.php

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Well that answers one question about the handle and arrow marking on it now that we have 2 documented examples in this thread that they put those on the non-adjustable razors.

We just need some examples of Coopers with unique base plate or cap markings to call mine a Hospital then. If we find Hospital that matches and no unique Coopers then it is an either or and that is the best it can be identified without the box it came in.

If you ever find yourself with an extra head I can use a backup. Among my 100 or so DEs the Stahly lives right in front where I can reach it often. People focus on the handle but the leaf spring suspension, fixed roller style guard and covered tabs are brilliant. If I were a daily driver kinda guy the Stahly would be a top contender.
proxy.php
I have a Stahly head on a barber pole handle. It's a great shave.

Top Bottom