What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

OK Mike, here's one I just got in October. I put it in the acquisitions thread, I think. I've got a travel model, too.

full

:a17:

Here's another one that I picked up in a Paris flea market back in March. There's no name on it, the handle is aluminum, the cap is zamak, and the base plate is identical to the one on my Gerbault.

2018-11-25 18.58.02.jpg

2018-11-25 18.58.25.jpg

Here's 4 different Segals, as soon as I get around to modifying a new blade, I'm going to try out the adjustable.

2018-11-25 17.46.54.jpg

2018-11-25 17.36.08.jpg

Not one I own but a cool looking razor. It might even be a good shaver. I have no idea the model name but it is German made by Muller & Schmidt.
mul1.jpg mul2.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... as soon as I get around to modifying a new blade, I'm going to try out the adjustable.

So speaking of modding blades, I finally cut out a blade to fit my Swee-do or Sweedo last week. Got a good shave, I won't be putting it into a rotation any time soon but it was interesting. From the 1930's I guess? Ugly thing!

full

So speaking of modding blades, I finally cut out a blade to fit my Swee-do or Sweedo last week. Got a good shave, I won't be putting it into a rotation any time soon but it was interesting. From the 1930's I guess? Ugly thing!

full

It looks like a Cooper.

Here is a cool looking adjustable. The French L'Essor Le Supreme. Like other L'Essor razors the base plate is like the Gibbs +/- models. 1 - 9 setting is different for each side. This is a razor I doubt a lot of us will ever own when you see the price tag on these things when they do come up for sale.
lessor1.jpg lessor2.jpg lessor3.jpg

Here is a cool looking adjustable. The French L'Essor Le Supreme. Like other L'Essor razors the base plate is like the Gibbs +/- models. 1 - 9 setting is different for each side. This is a razor I doubt a lot of us will ever own when you see the price tag on these things when they do come up for sale.
View attachment 930966 View attachment 930967 View attachment 930968

It looks badass, sort of expected a high price tag. More than a Bohin?

L'Essor three piece, differential dual comb. Not many DEs do I get to a BBS head shave in a single pass. This is one. Reminds me of the Blackbird but friendlier. Like the Famex, cold dead hands.
proxy.php

Here is one you don't see everyday a Cooper adjustable.

It works by aligning the cap and base plate using the 2 marking on each. Tighten it down as far as you can where the arrow on the handle lines up with an x or o. You get at least one full turn counterclockwise to adjust the gap. Adjustment is done by the that piece of metal on the base plate it works like a flexible shim.
coop1.jpg coop2.jpg coop3.jpg coop4.jpg

From Robert Waits, Waits Safety Razor Compendium. H/T @mrchick
coop5.jpg

That is captivating. What year was it made? How does it shave?

They use a proprietary blade. It has a hinge in the middle. Here is a picture of one, I don't know if you can adapt a modern blade to this razor.
miwa.jpg

These were made early 1900s. I've seen some dated to 1910 and made in Austria but I am going by ebay listing descriptions here so take that information with a grain of salt.

It works by aligning the cap and base plate using the 2 marking on each. Tighten it down as far as you can where the arrow on the handle lines up with an x or o. You get at least one full turn counterclockwise to adjust the gap. Adjustment is done by the that piece of metal on the base plate it works like a flexible shim.
View attachment 938704 View attachment 938705 View attachment 938706 View attachment 938707

View attachment 938708
A more interesting razor than I thought. Will be on the lookout for one.

View attachment 938704 View attachment 938705 View attachment 938706 View attachment 938707

View attachment 938708
very cool

Top Bottom