What's new

The Nib acquisitions for 2022

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Oh is that possible? With the unit that goes into the pen it didn't look possible.

proxy.php
I see what you mean, here I thought it would be like a 144. My mistake!
I did see a thread on Fountain Pen Network where a member was able to fit a small one in there.
Nothing wrong with carts, just getting the nib primed can sometimes be a slow process in a dry pen.

I see what you mean, here I thought it would be like a 144. My mistake!
I did see a thread on Fountain Pen Network where a member was able to fit a small one in there.
Nothing wrong with carts, just getting the nib primed can sometimes be a slow process in a dry pen.
I'll just have to see how it goes. I'm sure I'll find what works for it, as any pen, I imagine it has its own personality and needs :)

Oh is that possible? With the unit that goes into the pen it didn't look possible.

It's not*, sadly. That is why I ended up selling my 147.

* Well, technically, you can rig the cradle to hold a Kaweco conveter, but that has a lot less capacity than a MB cartridge so there is very little gain other than some reduction in plastic consumption...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Personally, I'm much happier using cartridges than integral fill mechanisms. I really don't know why anyone would consider it sacrilege. I'm perfectly OK with converters though, as they're just self-filling cartridges anyway. Essentially, I like ease of maintenance, and the option to fill with a syringe if the pen is a bit wide for the neck of the bottle, or the ink level in the bottle is a bit low.

I only use one pen that isn't cartridge converter, and I've even filled that with a syringe, by pulling the nib and feed. :devil:

Personally, I'm much happier using cartridges than integral fill mechanisms. I really don't know why anyone would consider it sacrilege. I'm perfectly OK with converters though, as they're just self-filling cartridges anyway. Essentially, I like ease of maintenance, and the option to fill with a syringe if the pen is a bit wide for the neck of the bottle, or the ink level in the bottle is a bit low.

I only use one pen that isn't cartridge converter, and I've even filled that with a syringe, by pulling the nib and feed. :devil:
I think the piston filler is, at least to me, part and parcel of the allure of the fountain pen and its history. I enjoy that part of it, so it feels bizarre going for one even if it will be more convenient at work. Who knows, maybe I'll prefer it after using it for a while!

9021C827-6A47-4EF4-A65C-B5B34C3AF2C7.jpeg

Montblanc 220 came out in 1968. It was a budget pen. The basic shape and materials look much like a Lamy 2000 which came out 2 years earlier in 1966.
Here they are side by side.
18AB8FE6-26A9-4FBE-ABF1-705FBF15A12D.jpeg1F76DF0D-306B-43FF-A3C9-78B3FE738E17.jpeg
I think my 220 has an F or EF nib.

I ordered another pen this morning. After this I think I’m done for a while. The newest addition is a Sheaffer Imperial IV Touch Down with what looks like a medium nib.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
View attachment 1481499
Montblanc 220 came out in 1968. It was a budget pen. The basic shape and materials look much like a Lamy 2000 which came out 2 years earlier in 1966.
Here they are side by side.
View attachment 1481502View attachment 1481503
I think my 220 has an F or EF nib.

I ordered another pen this morning. After this I think I’m done for a while. The newest addition is a Sheaffer Imperial IV Touch Down with what looks like a medium nib.
I had one in the late sixties. It actually wrote better than the Meisterstuck I got years later. A very nice pen.

If you haven't tried Danny Fudge at The Write Pen you should. Good guy, super fast, and great prices.
(Touchdown restoration goes for $25, all parts included)
No affiliation, just my go-to problem solver.
Thanks for the tip. I may well send him my Sheaffers. I’m still trying to decide where to send my piston fillers.

In addition to Danny, Ron Zorn at Main St Pens does great work. And if you need a Sheaffer vacuum filler refurbished, Gerry Berg is the guy.

Top Bottom