What's new

The Nib acquisitions for 2022

Cool. 124 Dou̩é from the 1970s. Cap is plated, nib is 14k. Very nice pens.

Just be aware that the cutaway nib housing is fragile and prone to cracking: other than that, it should be a joy to write with. Difficult to see in the first image, but the nib look to be an <F> or <EF>.

Congrats!

Cool. 124 Dou̩é from the 1970s. Cap is plated, nib is 14k. Very nice pens.

Just be aware that the cutaway nib housing is fragile and prone to cracking: other than that, it should be a joy to write with. Difficult to see in the first image, but the nib look to be an <F> or <EF>.

Congrats!
Thanks. It seems like EF to me. I thought it might be 70's.

Surely a copy of a Pilot capless cant be that good? Well my friends to this amateur it can. Heres a pic of my Decimo next to the Majohn full size capless. It came with a few empty carts, converter and pipette. Fine nib, writes a little dry, but I'm letting some pilot black through first. This came me via a well know site at a discounted price of £19.21

IMG_20220721_094026_1.jpg
IMG_20220721_094401_1.jpg

My decimo is the top script it has a medium left oblique nib.

Bottom majohn. Fine nib.

full

I was expecting a Parker "51" Flighter in the post today. I got my pen. It was a Parker 61 Flighter instead. I don't know enough about the capillary filling system to tell if it is okay or not.

full

The material is dark red. I can return it. They listed a "51". I just can't decide whether I want to keep it or not. I don’t have a 61 yet and I have 2 “51”s I might just stick with this if I can use it. Is this one you flush with a bulb syringe? If there is a simple way I can test it other than trying to ink it let me know, please.

It is pretty, and, I like that there is no gold in the hardware.

Weird. Why send empty carts I wonder. Never seen that before.
I believe its so you can fill with your own colours. They come empty but with a small stopper. Good idea imho. The Majohn a1 now works fine after a few days use and the ink runs through easily. Its a very, very smooth writer no scratch at all.

The easiest way to clean a 61 is to flush with a bulb syringe, clip the end off at the point where it will just cover the filler.

You can also just run it under the tap until the capillary filler is soaked, and then blow through it (without biting down on it). That will take a lot longer, but will suffice if you don't have a bulb handy.

@tehnothing

I bought a bulb syringe just in case. Not sure which box it is in. It is not with the rest of my pen stuff. Thanks for the repy. I want to still be happy about this pen. It is a cool pen itself.
The easiest way to clean a 61 is to flush with a bulb syringe, clip the end off at the point where it will just cover the filler.

You can also just run it under the tap until the capillary filler is soaked, and then blow through it (without biting down on it). That will take a lot longer, but will suffice if you don't have a bulb handy.

@tehnothing

I messaged the seller the next morning that everything was fine, and, that I was happy with the pen. I ran it through the ultra sonic and soaked it for a while. Let it dry completely, and, then let it sit for four minutes in a bottle of Waterman Serenity Blue.It was kind of dry writing, so today I filled it for another four minutes. No it lays down a fine line, but, it has a sweet spot. Needs some nib work. I was prepared for that. It is a Fine. Very pleased with the outcome. I like the simple filling. It really is a gorgeous pen.
full

Beautiful Flighter! I'm glad you have got it writing. I've not had luck getting 61's to come back to life.

For a bit of fun I thought I’d try out a budget friendly pen. My fountain pens have attracted a bit of attention at work. There aren’t many fountain pen users on building sites apparently and our junior foreman had never actually seen one. He was intrigued by the “quill” at the end and asked a lot of questions as we got ready for the site meeting.

Studley is nice guy but quite ham fisted with his writing which probably comes from filling out lots of duplicate paper day sheets. Needless to say, I was reluctant to hand over my Nakaya and skirted around the question of how much a pen like that costs.

So I decided that it was finally time to pick up a few cheapie loaner pens. Mainly as a human shield for my nice ones. I had heard good things about the Preppy. I couldn’t decide between fine and medium so picked up one of each (the B&B way).

The pens arrived today and I gave them a try. Performance wise I can’t fault them. I’m pretty blown away by how well they write actually. The smoothness and flow is every bit as good as my high end pens and that’s without any tuning. Unbelievable really. The body and cap are cheap plastic just like any other ‘normal’ office pen that you might find free issue from the stationary cabinet. The performance however is great. One of my favorite inks, Platinum Carbon Black, is available in the Platinum cartridge. The pen also fits the Platinum converter which really opens up the ink options.

I will offer the medium pen to Studley tomorrow and let him keep it if he likes it. I’ll keep the fine in my bag as a loaner. Overall I’m very impressed with the Preppy. It’s really amazing what Platinum has been able to do for the money. It almost has me questioning all of those high end pen purchases over the years…

979BC9DB-F8BD-47E3-A8C6-32D1FE036264.jpeg

Beautiful Flighter! I'm glad you have got it writing. I've not had luck getting 61's to come back to life.
My cleaning might have been over kill. I flushed it once then used pen flush to soak it for a while. Flushed that, then it went into the ultra sonic with distilled water and soaked for most of a day. When ever I walked by I would run a cycle. Then I let it dry for a day. I had to fill it twice to get it writing. Over 8 minutes in ink total. It has been in my pocket unused most of the week. I just took it out to jot down my schedule, and, it is writing nice and wet. I am definitely happy with the outcome.

Reactions: Jut
20220818_003658.jpg

I now have a third "pen" for my humble collection. A friend has recently given me this feather that he randomly discovered. I was going to put it in my hat along with the other random feathers that I already own, but I decided that I shall have a go at writing with a quill pen. So far it has been a bit of a challenge due to its habit of dumping all of its loaded ink onto the page at the first letter but it has been a fun little experiment.

Very nice Rolltide. Does it write to your liking? I guess I'm assuming you had some ink to try it out with =)

Top Bottom