What's new

The Nib acquisitions for 2022

Congrats on the TWSBI, what nib size did you get?
Much obliged, thank you! And I went with a Fine nib. Slipped my mind to put that in my post! It’s a very smooth writing fine nib. Line width wise it falls right in between my metro and safari nibs. I wanted to start with that so I could potentially use it at work on less than stellar paper. I’ll probably end up getting a few different nib sizes for it at some point.

Nothing fancy. Two two-packs of Zerbra M-301 mechanical pencils, some graphite refills in .5 and .7 for my other mechanical pencils, and another Zebra G-750.

Browsing in a pawn shop I found a Parker 45 Deluxe with box and bottle of ink. I have found out that this pen had a production timeline from 1980 to 2000. My model is made in UK and is perfect looking. Medium nib that is a pleasure to write with. I like the gold trimmings and the nib looks gold and not plated.
3C978669-6292-428E-8619-6E5E8CFF5E5E.jpeg49D9B26A-D224-48FF-B07B-44BFCF5D19E8.jpeg

Congrats @Marco63,

Parker 45s are really nice vintage pens that don't get all the attention of other older pens. I suppose the reason why is that they ceased production more recently than other vintage Parkers.

Yours appears to have a gold nib. The ones I've owned have been either 10k or 14k (or steel). The nib unit is easy to remove and disassemble if you feel the need to do a deep clean. Replacement nib units are easy to install for the same reason. I apologize in advance if I have just told you a bunch of info you already knew.

@Jut, it indeed has a gold nib. I don't think it is plated. Is there a way to verify this?

The 45 shipped with steel, plated, and gold nibs. The only way to be sure is to remove the nib; the plated ones are not completely covered, and the gold ones have a hallmark.

They are not difficult to disassemble, just be careful not to drop the nib down the sink! :)

Just what @silverlifter said. it has been a long time since i disassembled a 45 nib unit. My recollection is that you unscrew the unit, and then push the nib and feed through the collar. The nib is teeny tiny.

Is buying one pen after the other considered a 'compulsive behaviour'? I bought the Parker 45 flighter as I saw it in an antique shop while I had already shown interest in the Conway Stewart 76 that I propose here. I liked the colour, blue, and the pattern, herringbone. The nib, a #5, and the fact that is it a medium. So folks, here it is :)

CS 76_S.jpeg CS 76_1_S.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is buying one pen after the other considered a 'compulsive behaviour'? I bought the Parker 45 flighter as I saw it in an antique shop while I had already shown interest in the Conway Stewart 76 that I propose here. I liked the colour, blue, and the pattern, herringbone. The nib, a #5, and the fact that is it a medium. So folks, here it is :)

View attachment 1446445 View attachment 1446446
Did you buy the Conway Stewart? I have two and find them fantastic, I love the nibs on both (mediums).

Herringbone is gorgeous.

You must be aware of Jonathan's CS pages --> Jonathan's Vintage Pens - a list of Conway Stewart numbers - http://conwaystewart.wesonline.org.uk/csbook/page1.htm

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Stocking up on consumables.

20220503_115618.jpg

9 x Rhodia 7.5 x 12cm (24 sheet square)
3 x Clairefontaine 9 x 14cm (48 sheet ruled)
1 x Midori B7 landscape (50 sheet ruled)

20220503_115706.jpg

5 x Diamine 30ml
(Sargasso Sea, Salamander, Red Dragon, Macassar, Chocolate Brown)

5 x Schmidt 888M rollerball refills
(Blue, Red, Purple, Magenta, Black)

@nemo, yes got this CS 76 Herringbone. it is gorgeous, medium nib writes well too 😊 didn't know about the website so will go and look at it 👍🏻

@silverlifter, triple figures for a single pen or the sum of the many? 🤣

Top Bottom