What's new

The LEAF Razor, Reviewed...

First shave with the Leaf. Not especially close, but maybe a DFS. The thing feels heavy and shows sturdy quality in the hand. Because I was using a fresh blade (Derby) and a new razor, indeed a new kind of razor, I loaded only two half-blades into the top two positions. The shave was smooth and nick-free. For me trying out a new razor, that's a total win. (I can nick myself even with a new cartridge.) Blade loading may be the hardest part of using a Leaf Razor.

The bottom blade position is the most aggressive so leaving that blank tames the razor a lot.
I'm sure you'll get a better result if you use the bottom and middle instead of middle and top positions.

It's an interesting concept. One critique though. From looking at the product information online it describes the handle as "metal". So I'm assuming it's some type of base metal or zamak and not stainless or brass?

I left a blade out of the first position on purpose. My batting average with new razors and fresh blades is lousy. In fact, with a fresh blade, I very often draw blood even with my favorite DE razor and blade. After a few shaves, I'll try moving the top blade to the bottom spot. (I don't have a Twig trimmer to use that last half blade from 2 split blades.)

I left a blade out of the first position on purpose. My batting average with new razors and fresh blades is lousy. In fact, with a fresh blade, I very often draw blood even with my favorite DE razor and blade. After a few shaves, I'll try moving the top blade to the bottom spot. (I don't have a Twig trimmer to use that last half blade from 2 split blades.)

Fair enough.
Let us know goes you go when you change the settings.
Whenever I use the Leaf, I only use 2 edges (first and second). I find the third edge doesn't make a perceivable difference for me, which makes sense as the third setting is the mildest.

The leaf receives some negativity. What I believe it comes down to is how it's used.
From the YouTube reviews I’ve seen, the users were applying no pressure, as if it's a fixed head razor but it's a pivot head and pressure is a must to achieve a close shave. How much pressure just depends on the requirement of the user.

So I basically used the same technique as I used to use with my mach 3 and ended up with an ultra-comfortable and very close shave!

IME the need for pressure is due to the extremely shallow angle, not because of the pivot. I need to use extra pressure with non-pivoting disposables, as well as DE razors when riding the cap.

IME the need for pressure is due to the extremely shallow angle, not because of the pivot. I need to use extra pressure with non-pivoting disposables, as well as DE razors when riding the cap.

I agree with your assessment for fixed head razors...even I apply some pressure when needed, at the appropriate angle.

However, with the Leaf, if you see the negative YouTube reviews, they literally apply no pressure.

It doesn't matter if it's the Leaf, Gillette, Schick or any other cart razor...The pivot needs to be engaged for it to be effective. Otherwise, no pressure would literally mean it's gliding with minimal contact because the pivot would back away enough from the skin so that it would cut very little.

I agree with your assessment for fixed head razors...even I apply some pressure when needed, at the appropriate angle.

However, with the Leaf, if you see the negative YouTube reviews, they literally apply no pressure.

It doesn't matter if it's the Leaf, Gillette, Schick or any other cart razor...The pivot needs to be engaged for it to be effective. Otherwise, no pressure would literally mean it's gliding with minimal contact because the pivot would back away enough from the skin so that it would cut very little.

Best people to review it should be those that still use carts on occasions. They still have the technique in memory.

If I had a Van Dyke beard I would be all over it.

Best people to review it should be those that still use carts on occasions. They still have the technique in memory.

If I had a Van Dyke beard I would be all over it.

I don't have a goatee but I still really enjoy the Leaf. Although to be honest, I don't use it often because my wife loves it and basically took it from me...it mostly has her blades (personna or Gillett blacks) in it and I couldn't be bothered changing them out.

Used the Leaf again. Did my full shaving brush routine. Truefitt & Hill Number 10 whipped up with a badger brush. I guess that made a difference. I got a BBS shave, with no cuts or nicks even on my neck or jawline. Blades still in top two spots. Frankly, I can't believe how good the shave was.

Used the Leaf again. Did my full shaving brush routine. Truefitt & Hill Number 10 whipped up with a badger brush. I guess that made a difference. I got a BBS shave, with no cuts or nicks even on my neck or jawline. Blades still in top two spots. Frankly, I can't believe how good the shave was.

Nice one!!
I'm glad it worked so well for you.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes if you add in the third blade edge.

I personally like all 3 edges but bottom and middle also work well.

It's a very convenient razor for a rapid and efficient shave. Of course it doesn't shave as close as my Karve D or Rockwell R6 but it's about 85% in relative efficiency but knocks off 50% of the time taken!!

There's a site tryablade.com that sells several kinds of half blades for shavettes. These should would fit without snapping, though I haven't tried any yet.

I finally tried using a blade in the bottom slot. I just moved a blade from the super-mild top slot. The razor becomes more aggressive, as indicated by that extra sting as I applied my alum crystal. However, it does shave somewhat closer, definitely BBS. I tend to shave WTG, ATG, and then a cleanup pass. Still no cuts, nicks or razor burn, so that's a plus. Yet I think this slightly closer shave is not worth the extra irritation. YMMV.

I finally tried using a blade in the bottom slot. I just moved a blade from the super-mild top slot. The razor becomes more aggressive, as indicated by that extra sting as I applied my alum crystal. However, it does shave somewhat closer, definitely BBS. I tend to shave WTG, ATG, and then a cleanup pass. Still no cuts, nicks or razor burn, so that's a plus. Yet I think this slightly closer shave is not worth the extra irritation. YMMV.

Thanks for sharing your updated experience.

The 3 edges loaded definitely adds efficiency to the razor.

Luckily for me, I still find it very mild on the skin but efficient enough for a DFS+.
(BBS I can only get from my favorite DE razors...Karve, Rockwell, Progress)

I believe there is a razor that takes one-half of a DE blade and has a pivoting head, called Focus Slim.

The T shape may look better however, I personally feel the Y shape looks nice although it really doesn't make much difference for me. I didn't even think about it until I read your post. In any case, you should check out the Focus Slim (but be sure to check out the reviews as many users didn't get on well with it).

If I remember rightly, KevyShaves tried the Focus and it looked like a bloodbath. I was contemplating ordering one until I saw his YouTube review. Then I changed my mind! The design of the Leaf head kind of reminds me of the oldest Valet shavers from England.

First shave with the Leaf. Not especially close, but maybe a DFS. The thing feels heavy and shows sturdy quality in the hand. Because I was using a fresh blade (Derby) and a new razor, indeed a new kind of razor, I loaded only two half-blades into the top two positions. The shave was smooth and nick-free. For me trying out a new razor, that's a total win. (I can nick myself even with a new cartridge.) Blade loading may be the hardest part of using a Leaf Razor.
I’ve heard that if you don’t load a blade into the first (bottom) slot, only loading the top two slots, you get the mildest shave. SinatraLennon of YouTube tried loading the top 2 slots and was so disappointed in the result he had to finish with a third pass using a Gillette FatBoy. However, in a later video, he loaded all three slots with Feather blades and was very happy with the results. I believe he also pressed down slightly harder and that probably helped.
I don’t have one of these, but am seriously considering ordering one.

If I remember rightly, KevyShaves tried the Focus and it looked like a bloodbath. I was contemplating ordering one until I saw his YouTube review. Then I changed my mind! The design of the Leaf head kind of reminds me of the oldest Valet shavers from England.

Kevy wasn't the only one to have a bloodbath with the focus!!
I decided against it after seeing many reviews.

I’ve heard that if you don’t load a blade into the first (bottom) slot, only loading the top two slots, you get the mildest shave. SinatraLennon of YouTube tried loading the top 2 slots and was so disappointed in the result he had to finish with a third pass using a Gillette FatBoy. However, in a later video, he loaded all three slots with Feather blades and was very happy with the results. I believe he also pressed down slightly harder and that probably helped.
I don’t have one of these, but am seriously considering ordering one.

Yup!
I have mentioned this to several members who about about the leaf. It's a pivoting head and some pressure needs to be applied in order to engage the pivot. It's a fantastic razor and I'd definitely recommend it!

The biggest bonus is that the wife/gf can also use it with great results.

I love Sinatra Lennon's videos, but his default blade in any razor is a Feather. I'm at the other end of the spectrum. So of course, he would find a 2-blade Leaf setup too mild; it is mild. If I get any nicks, I count the shave as a fail, so I'm trying my hardest to avoid that. I started wetshaving with a Merkur Futur with a Merkur blade, and it was bloody terrible. Now that I've read about blade exposure, I've learned the Futur, while a beautiful object, is NOT a razor for beginners.

The Leaf razor gives the user lots of choices, one, two or three blades , and jillions of DE blade brands!

Top Bottom