What's new

The LEAF Razor, Reviewed...

I received my Leaf razor a couple of week ago and this thing is a truly innovative design!

We often look at slight changes in blade gap, exposure etc and claim an innovative design…and they are!

But this razor takes innovation to the next level. The blade loading tray is genius, it's impossible to set the blade crooked due to the magnetized stoppers.

The pivot has a large angle of motion so one can tailor the shave to their preference.

The package comes very nicely packed and includes the razor, an awesome razor stand, the Twig trimmer razor, a blade bank and 50 Personna blades.

The leaf receives some negativity. What I believe it comes down to is how it's used.
From the YouTube reviews I’ve seen, the users were applying no pressure, as if it's a fixed head razor but it's a pivot head and pressure is a must to achieve a close shave. How much pressure just depends on the requirement of the user.

So I basically used the same technique as I used to use with my mach 3 and ended up with an ultra-comfortable and very close shave!

There is no “mild” or “efficient” with this razor because of the pivot. If you push down, you'll get a closer shave. If you take a slow stroke, you'll get a closer shave. The leaf has given me what I loved about the mach 3 but with the flexibility to use my favorite DE blades (Polsilver), more comfort, no tugging or irritation (presumably due to being able to use blades that are right for me).

The weight is perfect, hefty and solid! I really like the feel of the razor in my hands as I’m using it. I do wish it had a round, knurled handle but that’s just because I’m used to the handles on DE razors. It took a few uses to get used to the handle but after that, there was no issue as it’s quite ergonomic, and not at all slippery.

The head is large! No doubt about it. However, it’s all in the angle of attack. I come in at an angle and can get to the majority of the stubble under the nose. The most pesky of stubble can be gotten without the use of the Twig trimmer razor however, it does require a specific technique and patience. I just use my DE to get to those pesky leftovers.

The fit and finish is flawless. The black finish is just beautiful however, the hard water here does cause the scum to be quite visible (as you can see in one of the pics). The satin would be better for hard water areas however, the black finish is still my favourite.

I had my wife use it on her legs and she said it's the best, most comfortable shave she's ever had!!

She's used several DE razors and just as many carts but she loved the leaf from the first stroke!

The razor has become a shared razor because my wife now refuses any other razor I’ve given her. Whilst the Yaqi DOC was her favourite DE and the Kai 3 blade her favourite cart, she tells me that neither of them can compete with the speed and closeness of the Leaf.

If your wife/GF leg shaves, I’d highly recommend the Leaf razor. They’ll be so pleased, they will likely be more understanding of your shaving acquisition disorders :D

Overall, the Leaf really was a very pleasant surprise for me (and my wife!).

It’s a razor I’d definitely recommend highly for it’s comfort and smoothness. Whilst it may not shave as closely as some of the more aggressive razors out there, the speed and efficiency is perfect for daily shaving, especially on those early morning weekdays!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

R

romsitsa

Hello,

thanks for the review. It takes 3 half blades? Does the head lay flat against your face, like a cartridge?

Adam

Hello,

thanks for the review. It takes 3 half blades? Does the head lay flat against your face, like a cartridge?

Adam

Yes, it takes 3 half blades and it does lay flat against the face. Just apply some pressure to pivot the head and take the stroke. It's like wiping the stubble off.

I've been thinking about getting one of these go for my wife. Does your wife prefer it with 3 blades or 2?

They had a booth at the Big Shave East last year. I was impressed with the quality of the razor. The Twig is really cool and very useful. My wife was pretty enamored with it, maybe even more than with the Leaf. Lol

I've been thinking about getting one of these go for my wife. Does your wife prefer it with 3 blades or 2?

My wife uses it with 3 blades as she says it requires fewer strokes without any compromise on comfort.

I found this to be the case for my face shaves too. I don't see any point in using less than 3 blades, unless someone wants to use one blade (2 edges) at a time.

Interesting design.

Way too close to a cartridge razor for my taste, though.

I think the razor is kind of a tough sell. I think it's market is poorly defined. The people who would probably like it best and benefit the most are current cartridge razor users, who could save a bunch of money and still have the same ease of shaving. Problem is that most of that market had no experience with double edge blades or loading their own blades, and I'd guess the vast majority of them probably won't or can't conjure up the interest.

On the flip side, converted traditional wetshavers like myself are likely to be turned off by the resemblance to cartridge razors.

So they might have a fantastic razor on their hands and still find themselves caught between a rock and a hard place.

I had one and gave it away to a cousin.
I'll buy that Leaf Razor again if they would;
1. Change the razor head into a replaceable one piece half-blade shaving head.
2. Change that horrible slingshot-shaped "Y" razor shape into a "T" shape razor.

Reactions: Anu
The thing I can't get by is it just looks like a womens razor. I do think a T handle would make it more masculine though. Not that that would get me to buy it but it would look better IMO...

I had one and gave it away to a cousin.
I'll buy that Leaf Razor again if they would;
1. Change the razor head into a replaceable one piece half-blade shaving head.
2. Change that horrible slingshot-shaped "Y" razor shape into a "T" shape razor.

I believe there is a razor that takes one-half of a DE blade and has a pivoting head, called Focus Slim.

The T shape may look better however, I personally feel the Y shape looks nice although it really doesn't make much difference for me. I didn't even think about it until I read your post. In any case, you should check out the Focus Slim (but be sure to check out the reviews as many users didn't get on well with it).

I thought that was basically a shavette?

There's two versions, one is the shavette and the other is a pivoting head, half-DE blade razor.
I never got one as the reviews were always mixed but the leaf razor always had positive reviews from users so it was a no contest decision.

I just got a Leaf Razor today. From videos and reviews, I never realized the size of this item. The thing is HUGE and I'm used to how big cartridges like Skinguard and Fusion look. It's six inches long with a virtually two-inch wide head -- 1-7/8 inches?? The shaving head extends well down the razor. It's hefty, too - 2.8 ounces. For comparison, my Gillette Fusion -- I know, I know -- is under 5-3/4 inches long, just over 1.5 inches wide and weighs 1.4 ounces.

Also in the mail was a Gillette Guard from India weighing in at only 0.4 ounces. Quite a difference. I'm pleased with the heft and the machining of the Leaf, but it has a kind of Rube Goldberg look with the thumbscrew on the back. I hope the quality of the shaves will push my style concerns out the window.

Last edited:
How is the snapping of blades? This was the part that kind of turned me off on the prospect of this razor.

First shave with the Leaf. Not especially close, but maybe a DFS. The thing feels heavy and shows sturdy quality in the hand. Because I was using a fresh blade (Derby) and a new razor, indeed a new kind of razor, I loaded only two half-blades into the top two positions. The shave was smooth and nick-free. For me trying out a new razor, that's a total win. (I can nick myself even with a new cartridge.) Blade loading may be the hardest part of using a Leaf Razor.

I snapped my first blade, a Derby. It snapped in half only as the metal was nearly folded flat. It was a pretty even break though, and the razor has posts the hold the front corners of the blade in correct position -- like the posts on a well-made vintage or modern three-piece razor. Because the blade remains wrapped in paper during the snap, the process is undramatic. However, I would not like to try to split an unwrapped DE blade.

Top Bottom