What's new

The incredible new Timeless BRONZE DE

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I took receipt of the baseplate this morning. Good on Timeless for being timely with shipping. The USPS works well, too. Friday at 3 in Ohio to my NC den by Monday at 11am. Go Team!

Saturday's shave was a Timeless 95 OC. So, I loaded up the same Astra (2) and went after 2 days growth. The standard Bronze gap is mild, but I expected it to be. I held on to it hoping to see a new baseplate. Patience paid off here.

With only one shave, I'd say the .78OC is comparable to the the .95OC in efficiency, but the Bronze may be smoother. The geometry of the teeth are different and I believe I will like the Bronze geometry better. In plan, the radius'd corners on the Bronze felt better on my skin.

Notice the baseplates are different in height. There are slots on the top of the Bronze baseplate to receive the cap studs...and a continuous channel on the SS. The cap studs on the SS are longer than the Bronze receiver slots, therefore the SS cap WILL NOT fit the Bronze baseplate. The Bronze cap, however WILL fit the SS baseplate. Given the difference in the baseplate heights...I will not swap caps. I wouldn't think of it anyway.

With this .78 baseplate, the Bronze is definitely a keeper. I look forward to getting to know it.

View attachment 856584 View attachment 856588 View attachment 856589
Yes fantastic review and photos. Thanks.
Got it. Shave pending. Acted casual in front of the wife and walked by while her attention was averted. I got lucky and didn’t get caught. Whew!

So far I can say the polish on this is even better than on the Stainless I had before. They said there’d be some machining marks but this is a bronze colored mirror everywhere but the underside of the cap. Has a nice feel to it and looks great. Can’t wait to give it the shave test!
This is hilarious. I ship to the office my friend. I'm in waiting mode. Got tracking email today but like a watched pot I'm resisting checking it to stay sane ,(too late I know)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I had a shave with mine in preparation for an evening work meeting on my day off. Amazing shave. I’m glad I returned my old Stainless OC. This was a much more smooth shaver for me.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Good to hear. Did you have the 68 oc?

Yes. Didn’t try the .95 because the .68 felt too aggressive to me with the Stainless OC design. I’m an OC lover but that head design didn’t feel like a proper OC to me so I returned it. This one feels much more like what I expect from an OC and shaves great. Might want the leather slip for it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes. Didn’t try the .95 because the .68 felt too aggressive to me with the Stainless OC design. I’m an OC lover but that head design didn’t feel like a proper OC to me so I returned it. This one feels much more like what I expect from an OC and shaves great. Might want the leather slip for it.
Okay thanks for clarification. The leather looks great. Are you planning on keeping it shined up

I took receipt of the baseplate this morning. Good on Timeless for being timely with shipping. The USPS works well, too. Friday at 3 in Ohio to my NC den by Monday at 11am. Go Team!

Saturday's shave was a Timeless 95 OC. So, I loaded up the same Astra (2) and went after 2 days growth. The standard Bronze gap is mild, but I expected it to be. I held on to it hoping to see a new baseplate. Patience paid off here.

With only one shave, I'd say the .78OC is comparable to the the .95OC in efficiency, but the Bronze may be smoother. The geometry of the teeth are different and I believe I will like the Bronze geometry better. In plan, the radius'd corners on the Bronze felt better on my skin.

Notice the baseplates are different in height. There are slots on the top of the Bronze baseplate to receive the cap studs...and a continuous channel on the SS. The cap studs on the SS are longer than the Bronze receiver slots, therefore the SS cap WILL NOT fit the Bronze baseplate. The Bronze cap, however WILL fit the SS baseplate. Given the difference in the baseplate heights...I will not swap caps. I wouldn't think of it anyway.

With this .78 baseplate, the Bronze is definitely a keeper. I look forward to getting to know it.

Great review and thanks for the up close photos of the head and especially the combs. So the rumor that the comes where squared are not true and I'm very happy they're not! The fact that you said it seems like the shave was a little bit smoother than the .95 tells me that their not sharp at all and as Chris mentioned in the video the razor felt more efficient and not as smooth as his .95 OC. Now this razor has popped back up on my lust list.
:thumbup1:

This is so much a YMMV it isn't funny. I've seen one or two reviews that state it's smoother than the 95 SS, others claim they thought it wasn't as smooth as the 95 SS. Then again, some razors have personalities, and if you hit it right and/or use the right blade for that particular razor with your face, it can be day and night different.

I've seen the 63 SS even be listed as both smoother and less smooth than a Rockwell. Rocky is the probably the smoothest, yet efficient razor I have. Granted, I love the closeness of R6, but would love it to feel like R2, but I can even go ATG (upwards) under the nose with the R6 plate. - Something difficult to do with my Fat-Boy beyond maybe 4 or 5, with a setting of 2-3 feeling more like Rocky. (Rockwell tossed a TD as far as smoothness, and kept good efficiency).

This brings up my dilemma, as the 78 is a nice point between SS 63 and 95, and is supposed to shave like the 95, meaning close or efficient. I'd originally thought of going 95 with a scalloped or smooth bar, but now I'm not sure. - While I love the comfort of the Rockwell R2/R3 plates, I don't care for the extra swipes and passes to get as close as I like, so I've found R6. Ok, I admit it, I chase BBS, true BBS and can obtain it pretty much every shave, just with more passes or work with some razors than others. Possibly the reason for the sensitive trouble spot under the nose and such with an OC, while efficient with multi-day growths, they still take extra passes for that total BBS result.

Everybody seems to agree the 78 Bronze OC is efficient, but the OC factor has me tossed up. Chris (CDB) indicated he thought it might be rougher than the SS 95, others feel it's smoother. Not a huge OC fan myself, as most have underwhelmed in the comfort, or in the Old Type's case, don't seem as efficient as expected. My Schone is probably the only one I use regularly, as it blends efficient and feel/comfort really well as a daily shaver. That Pearl I have sees use occasionally, but it's really way to aggressive as a daily shaver, and the others fall in between.

It would be really helpful if those receiving the 78 can compare this beauty to other more common razors we might have, in both feel and efficiency, although efficiency doesn't seem to be an issue based on early reviews.

I am in the process of deciding between the SB & OC. (I know get both). What blades work best for you? I prefer Personna Reds in most of my other razors.

In an effort to clear up the intentional ambiguity of my original post, this morning I ran a side-by-side comparison of the 95 SS OC and the Bronze 78 OC. I am not a gear reviewer, I'm just a guy with both razors. Note the SS has a longer, plaid handle.

Both razors were loaded with new Astra blades. The first pass was N/S, primarily WTG. The SS is indeed smoother. Not by a lot, but it is noticeable when alternating razors. Could I pick them out in a side by side? Yes. Could I pick them out with 48 hours passing between shaves? Doubtful. They are both very comfortable.

After the first pass, cold water rinse to check reduction. The SS was slightly more efficient. Not by a lot and it was really only noticeable on the ATG swipes.

After the second pass, I honestly can tell no difference. I see no reason why one would need both. Given a choice, I'd take the 95 any day...unless that day was before payday and the $$$ difference was important. I like the looks and build quality of the SS much better.

I'll monitor regrowth throughout the day, just for fun. I hope this helps.

Loot, you also find the SS 95 a tiny bit smoother than the Bronze 78, interesting. It's obvious the SS has a higher blade arc, so the ultimate blade angle at the guard should be different between the two. This might make one smoother, or at the very least affect the preferred shaving angle. - Sort of like a Fat-Boy vs a Slim, the blade is more curved on the Fat-Boy. (Or why say the Progress & Variant shave smoothly, with their significant blade bend).

Just need to keep my RAD under control! (Repeat after me, I don't need another razor, I don't need another razor, I dont....it isn't working).

...It's obvious the SS has a higher blade arc, so the ultimate blade angle at the guard should be different between the two. This might make one smoother, or at the very least affect the preferred shaving angle. - Sort of like a Fat-Boy vs a Slim, the blade is more curved on the Fat-Boy. (Or why say the Progress & Variant shave smoothly, with their significant blade bend).

And, again, this is what caught my eye immediately, just based on photos of both bronze razors comparing to say Progress or other Timeless designs.

Again, I'm just sitting on the sidelines here, not trying to say that bronze is not as good and... no desire to move away from .68 or .95 SS, just genuinely curious about those "somewhat square" bronze plates.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
That's for posting some comparison thoughts. Much appreciated. I'm sitting g in tracking hades with a bogus "on route to destination" message. Ugh.
Loot, you also find the SS 95 a tiny bit smoother than the Bronze 78, interesting. It's obvious the SS has a higher blade arc, so the ultimate blade angle at the guard should be different between the two. This might make one smoother, or at the very least affect the preferred shaving angle. - Sort of like a Fat-Boy vs a Slim, the blade is more curved on the Fat-Boy. (Or why say the Progress & Variant shave smoothly, with their significant blade bend).

Just need to keep my RAD under control! (Repeat after me, I don't need another razor, I don't need another razor, I dont....it isn't working).
Need ?
No.
Want! Yes. Lol

It's obvious the SS has a higher blade arc, so the ultimate blade angle at the guard should be different between the two.
I don't believe that's the case as the Bronze and SS top caps are essentially interchangeable (the only difference appears to be the shorter depth of the studs/slots on the bronze). Assuming I haven't missed something the only real difference is the comb/safety bar. So, presented angle should be the same, but actual angle will depend on the comb/bar and how you use it.

I don't believe that's the case as the Bronze and SS top caps are essentially interchangeable (the only difference appears to be the shorter depth of the studs/slots on the bronze). Assuming I haven't missed something the only real difference is the comb/safety bar. So, presented angle should be the same, but actual angle will depend on the comb/bar and how you use it.

Perhaps I'm making a false assumption, wouldn't the blade be pushed down against the center of the base plate, thus flattening out the blade more than on the SS model? The cap still needs to push against something to tighten, and with the base plate being lower or shorter, it should in theory push the blade down or flatten it out a bit more at the center, which *should* (operative word) alter the angle from center to edge of blade. - Unless the height difference is purely below the blade contact points, making the curve of the blade equal, but only a picture with the two sitting upside down on a flat surface would show that.

I don't have the OC, but I'll try to get shots of the original Bronze and .68 SB to compare this weekend. As far as I can tell the angles are the same and it's really only the last few mm from the edge that matter. We'll see.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Mine arrived today. Its beautiful in person. I wish the handle was longer. But its got nice heft and girth. I tried to visually compare with the ss oc. I'm not good at this type of visual but the teeth on the bronze are not as pronounced or long as the ss. I ended up taking the blade out of the ss so I didn't compare exposure. I'll try to add more after I use it.

I just had my second shave with mine this morning, with an Astra blade, and it's nice. I don't find it very aggressive at all, which is a plus for me. I don't mind a little blade feel, but if a razor is really aggressive I don't tend to like them. The only time I can really feel the blade is under my nose. The combs on the razor aren't something I notice when I shave either. It feels smooth. The efficiency on the .78 is drastically better for me than the .38, and is up there with my Wunderbar shaves. Overall its a keeper for me.

Top Bottom