The "I'm gonna be a minimalist if it kills me" PIF

Do you want to participate in the PIF?

• Yes

Votes: 56 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
UPDATE: Folks, it looks like I screwed up the poll options and wound up hiding the option to see who voted. If you voted yes and still want to be in the PIF, please make sure you post an "I'm in" message in the thread if you haven't already. Sorry for the mixup!

I’m in.
Thank you.

I have enough equipment to last the rest of my lifetime, but thanks anyway.

I find myself reaching for the same two or three razors each time. I could cull the herd considerably and be quite content, but I had to go through about 25 razors to learn this.

Five years ago (give or take a few days), I offered up a mystery box PIF to the members of this community to celebrate a few personal shaving milestones and to start down the path of shaving minimalism. Somehow, the whole minimalism thing slipped by-the-by and five years later, I still have an excessive amount of shaving gear to deal with.

So, in the same spirit of thankfulness to those who had pointed me towards some really cool shaving gear over the years and a dogged determination to walk the minimalist path, I am once again going to clean up and package the razors in my shave den that I don't plan to use any longer (along with a couple of other little goodies just for fun) and send the package to one lucky winner, anywhere in the world. I'll pay the shipping cost.

Here are the eligibility rules for the PIF:
  1. You must meet the guidelines for participation in the B/S/T as defined here: INFO! - B&B's new BST guidelines
That's pretty much it.

I'm going to set this up as a poll where you can vote Yes if you want to participate in the PIF (you don't need to vote no if you don't want to participate in the PIF; the polling feature requires at least two options).

You need to vote on the poll if you want to be counted in; a response in the thread, while awesome, won't count.
The poll will close for responses on July 20, 2019.

When the poll closes, I'll grab the list of members who voted to be in, plop their names into a spreadsheet, assign a number to each name, and randomly select a winner using random.org. I'll announce the winner by PM and also in this thread.

Thanks to everyone for the help, advice, suggestions, and just plain old conversation you provided me along the way!
I'm not in, but I will say I appreciate your largess and I also appreciate your struggle. I have done a couple of major PIFs in the past, mostly to local men's shelters (and I will say they were very appreciative). But somehow just as I am nearing the minimalist threshold I fall off the wagon and place an order, or two or three and before I know it my sock drawer is overflowing with more shaving stuff. Tough addiction to break.

UPDATE: Folks, it looks like I screwed up the poll options and wound up hiding the option to see who voted. If you voted yes and still want to be in the PIF, please make sure you post an "I'm in" message in the thread if you haven't already. Sorry for the mixup!
I'm in!
Thanks for the generous pif!

Not in. Nice to see someone else trying to minimalize. I put together some soaps and aftershaves for some folks that are in need, locally.

Good luck to the winner.

I'm in too, curious what the gear is. And being in is the best way to keep track of the pig to see the results. If I happen to win and there is stuff I won't use I will re pif and add a few things.

UPDATE: I'm busily cleaning and packing shaving supplies into the mystery box and there's still a week left, so I wanted to remind everyone who voted "yes" and didn't already post an "I'm in" message to the thread to please do so. I'd hate for anyone to miss out on their chance because I messed up the poll options. Here's the list of folks that I have counted as in so far (and I know this isn't all the yes votes):
  1. _DOC_
  2. (DE NH)
  3. @ngel
  4. Atinofpeas
  5. Bad Badger
  6. Billski
  7. bray144k
  8. Captain Coconut
  9. Clay S
  10. DEATHMgck
  11. dmshaver
  12. DocPapi
  13. Earcutter
  14. emwolf
  15. GAW9576
  16. GearNoir
  17. Gobucks01
  18. huck1995
  19. Iloverootbeer
  20. jaro 101969
  21. Lightcs1776
  22. Maponis
  23. MilkCrate
  24. Ramathorn
  25. Schnitzel52
  26. sg01fc
  27. Spock88
  28. spolct
  29. Steinmetzify
  30. Suhrim21
  31. Timeclo
  32. weekly
  33. Your Majesty
If your name is in the list, you don't have to do anything more to be in. I'll post an updated list next week when we wrap this puppy up.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would love to be in, but as many of you know, I'm married to a lovely person I call the War Department. She is a minimalist. I am a maximalist. This is one battle I'm going to avoid. But for you brave souls involved here, you have my utmost respect! Do our gender proud, and if you win, try not to point out to your minimalist spouse just how many purses and shoes she has. It might not go well.

I would love to be in, but as many of you know, I'm married to a lovely person I call the War Department. She is a minimalist. I am a maximalist. This is one battle I'm going to avoid. But for you brave souls involved here, you have my utmost respect! Do our gender proud, and if you win, try not to point out to your minimalist spouse just how many purses and shoes she has. It might not go well.

I just point out how many animals she has.
Two dogs, 6 lizards a couple of fish tanks a bunch of chickens outdoor cats, she wants goats, I probably forgot something. Oh and I should probably count the woodchuck and moles in the yard since she doesn't want me to "Relocate" them. That always goes over well, not.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Oh, get the goats! They are so stinkin' cute when the neighbors own them!

As to relocation: my wife and I are on the same page. I have a live trap I call the death trap. Don't go messin' with my chickens!

My neighbor years ago caught a raccoon. He left it go! Said he thought it had "learned it's lesson." I caught the same one a few days later. A different neighbor told him "Dave just gave that raccoon his graduate degree."

This neighborhood could write my book for me, lol.

Top Bottom