What's new

The humble Zippo

Never smoked but I have my grandfather's Stirling silver Zippo. It need to be polished.
proxy.php

I have a Zippo that I was playing with just the other day.
I don't smoke but they are sure fun to play with.
Mine is engraved with my best mates names on it. Both sides. We all got one at the same time and had them engraved the same way.
That was a long time ago.

I'm in for buying another one when I go to a concert next week.
I tried to last year but they sold out.

Like some of the others, I used Zippos all the time when I was a smoker. No need to carry one now I have given up smoking and they just occupy boxes in the house. They were leaky, often burned your eyebrows on hot days when lighting one would cause a large flame and they needed constant filling. However, they did work regardless of the wind and they were fun to play with. Sigh...another cool object relegated to nostalgia (for me at least).

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Many years ago my father found a Zippo. The darned thing would just not hold lighter fluid properly. He took out the packing. The problem turned out to be two fifty dollar bills.

Many years ago my father found a Zippo. The darned thing would just not hold lighter fluid properly. He took out the packing. The problem turned out to be two fifty dollar bills.

Wow! I've got like 8 zippos and one of mine ever had THAT problem. :w00t:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A few more of my daily carry lighters:

Top left: IMCO Triplex Super 6700 (made till a few years ago, Made in Austria)
Top Right: Thorens Single Claw (1920s, Swiss-Made)
Bottom left: Ronson Banjo (1920s, Made in USA)
Bottom middle and right: Bowers (1939s - 1940s. Made in USA)

proxy.php

Very cool, I think here on B&B anything old and interesting has a place. Absolutely fascinating some of those
Dave:
$+2.jpg...awesome lighters Memeber 'hotwheels' has! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp] "The most tangible of all visible mysteries [is a Zippo]". Leigh Hunt[/FONT]

So I bought myself a brushed brass zippo aswell as a brushed chrome. I'm deffinatly going to look into a thunderbird insert too. As fidgety little thing to play with they 100% beat worry stones or beads for me, plus there is something intrinsically beautiful about The patina on brass.

You have to repack them and make the wick longer.
I used to do tricks with them. My favorite one has been repaired like 4 times. Each time zippo sends it back with a new insert. (plus the original) and a penny.

I repacked mine to have the wick get more contact with the rayon balls but I shortened my wick in te hope of it saving alittle fuel. With zippos it's lots of little tricks to get a good long lasting lighter.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You can get belt holsters for zippos if you are really sensitive. If you pull up the felt before filling, you will see when the packing is saturated and you can stop right there. If you don't overfill, you wont have a problem normally. All bets are off in hot weather, though. The holster really is a nice way to carry, anyway.

Always let it burn a couple seconds before lighting a cigar, and keep it out of the flame and away from the bottom half of the flame. Draw the flame to the cigar, dont push the cigar into the flame. You will get the heat without as much of the naptha taste. (which goes away after a minute, anyway.)

I still have a brass one with 1980 stamped in the bottom. They apparently dont stamp the year in the bottom of the case anymore. Pity.

The Zippo is one of those 20th century American icons, like the Browning/Colt 1911 .45ACP, the Gillette FatBoy, or the Thermos brand thermos, that helps to define a great society at its peak. Corporations will come and go, but these things will endure as masterpieces of design and appropriate technology. The "Snick" of a Zippo opening will always be a recognizable sound.

I had a brushed nickel one in college, when I smoked, and never had a problem carrying in my pocket. Now for some reason I have two that folks have given me over the years. Great product with a lifetime warranty.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Nice little collection you've got there. Are there any arsonists in your family? :001_rolle

Yeah, you don't get it. One sees a lot of logic disconnects these days.

Arsonists, no. Military members, yes, and most of those are military zips.

AA

Cool lighters Hotwheels! That Swiss Thorens lighter is cool. I have a French Aquilon enroute to me. My Dad has two Vietnam Zippos that he used overseas, my favorite has a Vietnamese coin on the front and an engraved Snoopy giving his blue language opinion on the war. The Austrian Imco I bought 10 years ago is stored away somewhere waiting to be found again.

Maybe 25 years ago my then girlfriend gave me a Playboy version of a Zippo as a birthday present. It had an engraved Playboy logo and was stamped Playboy on the base. I've no idea who made it but when I lost it I bought a Zippo and it was inferior to the Playboy in every way. I was disappointed.

Top Bottom