What's new

The Gillette Big Boy/Big Fellows

If you want to experience a very similar shave to the Big Fellow or Big Boy for less money than they typically bring on ebay then there is a way to do so. The heads for most are the same as the other New Improved and New Deluxe razors so get a removable handle New Improved such as a Tuckaway and fit it with the right handle and have a Big Fellow equivalent. For a Big Boy clone use a Norfolk Tuckaway or a Deluxe Red Black head. The close to ideal handle is the Maggard MR20 handle which is 1.8 ounces weight and 3.6" or 92mm long and close to 1/2" diameter. Attached to a New Deluxe or New Improved head it weighs the same as a Big Boy or Big Fellow within a gram or two and even fits the original Big Fellow or Big Boy case as if the razor was made for it. The Maggard MR20 handle is discontinued but a similar handle should be possible to find. A very similar size handle, a bit lighter weight, is the new RazoRock Titanium handle, the least expensive Titanium handle I know of. It also fits the Big Fellow and Big Boy cases very nicely.

All the family except the original old model style head Big Fellow shaving experience should be duplicable this way. The original curved head Big Fellow had a combination of base plate and top cap not used by any other old model Gillette razor i know of. Mine has a very thick base plate and a very thin top cap. The base plate is thicker than on any other Old Model I have measured.

Last edited:
If you want to experience a very similar shave to the Big Fellow or Big Boy for less money than they typically bring on ebay then there is a way to do so. The heads for most are the same as the other New Improved and New Deluxe razors so get a removable handle New Improved such as a Tuckaway and fit it with the right handle and have a Big Fellow equivalent. For a Big Boy clone use a Norfolk Tuckaway or a Deluxe Red Black head. The close to ideal handle is the Maggard MR20 handle which is 1.8 ounces weight and 3.6" or 92mm long and close to 1/2" diameter. Attached to a New Deluxe or New Improved head it weighs the same as a Big Boy or Big Fellow within a gram or two and even fits the original Big Fellow or Big Boy case as if the razor was made for it. The Maggard MR20 handle is discontinued but a similar handle should be possible to find. A very similar size handle, a bit lighter weight, is the new RazoRock Titanium handle, the least expensive Titanium handle I know of. It also fits the Big Fellow and Big Boy cases very nicely.

All the family except the original old model style head Big Fellow shaving experience should be duplicable this way. The original curved head Big Fellow had a combination of base plate and top cap not used by any other old model Gillette razor i know of. Mine has a very thick base plate and a very thin top cap. The base plate is thicker than on any other Old Model I have measured.
Looking at the Maggard site, I see that the MR1 is very close for weight and length to the discontinued MR20; it's weaker for diameter, but perhaps not a long way off, at 11.2mm instead of about 12.8mm for the MR20...?

I am bumping this thread forward...because I believe I found an Old Type Big Fellow in an antique store. This one was made in Canada. Serial number 725295. It is quite heavy and it measures just shy of 4 inches. Truthfully, I didn't even know these existed until last week. A lucky find. A few pics...
Old Boy 1.jpg
Old Boy 2.jpg
Old Boy 3.jpg
Old Boy 4.jpg

My fellows.
Old type Big fellow in silver and chromium Big Boy Hybrid. I hope that I one day will have other two.
IMG_20180302_233414.jpg

The a Big Fellows have always been my favorite razor to shave with.
I have tried all, and this is my favorite.... the New Improved Big Fellow.
It takes a little practice, but once tamed, the Big Fellow will prove itself.

This is my favorite New Improved Big Fellow....
A 1921 Gold model-- with an "L" repair number.
Cheers,
Kevin

DSC00386.JPG
DSC00390.JPG
DSC00406.JPG
DSC00400.JPG

A cool big boy! My brother sent me 3 razors he found for me at a flea market in Pa. Not much floating around in this part of An .This almost mint big boy gold with a chrome top. This look is so hot. Opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_20180503_092359.jpg
    IMG_20180503_092359.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180503_092205958.jpg
    IMG_20180503_092205958.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
Frankenrazor for Frank, ha! The razor looks unused or used very little. Perhaps that was the desired look. I'm more into the slim and fat boy and would consider trading for a gold in same condition.

There has always been some confusion about the Gillette vintage Big Boy/Big Fellow line of razors. Here's a brief description of the four different razors and a comparison to other razors in the Gillette line.

proxy.php

1. The Old Type Big Fellow introduced in 1919 and made for only a short time until 1921..
2. The New Improved Big Fellow replaced the Old Type and was sold in the same wooden case.
3. The New De Luxe Big Boy was made for only a short time from 1929 to February of 1931. It was sold in an attractive metal case.
4. The New Big Boy/Big Fellow hybrid variant. It has a shorter handle which screws directly to the cap like the standard New razors. It used the same case as the New De Luxe . There was no serial number and was probably made around 1929.

Note: The New De Luxe Big Boy was sold in either 24 kt gold or chrome plate. This is true of the De Luxe models Norfolk and Criterion.

Next we have the way the handles were attached to the heads of all four razors. The New De Luxe inner tube is as beautiful as the rest of the razor.

proxy.php

And finally here is the comparison of the Big Fellow to other razors from Gillette over the years.

proxy.php

1. The long handle Super Adjustable
2. The Old Type Big Fellow
3. The 1940's Super Speed
4. The New Improved Tuckaway
5. The Milady from 1940.

Hopefully this clears up a few questions.
Len

Thanks for the History lesson. I have an Old Type B.F. and always wondered how it figured into the larger scheme.

Top Bottom