What's new

The Gillette Big Boy/Big Fellows

Here are the pics. The tarnish doesn't really look like silver. I'll have to clean it up and see. Whatever the plating it clearly isn't in great shape, but other than the plating it seems perfect. This one will stay in y collection.

$SANY0079.jpg$SANY0080.jpg$SANY0081.jpg

Love the thread. I'm interested in how to distinguish the New from the Big Boy hybrid other than the length of the handle comparison side by side.

Great info. I have two #2 in the first photo and one #3 on the way, the flat back head Big Boy. Also two Richwoods, a cased New Standard and two 1920's that look like a Richwood but without the cases. In #3 flat back head style units I have a cased Gold Criterion and an uncased Gold plated razor. One is good condition and the other VG I believe other than peeling lacquer. The Big Boy is in a wood Gillette case so apparently some were delivered in wood Big Fellow cases. My cased Big Fellow is in a chrome plated metal case with virtually perfect metal. Interior cloth has noticeable wear. Not surprising as the razor shows lots of use wear. Sold by a German seller.

I personally love the looks of the high end Gillette razors like the heavy head 1920s models and the 1930s NEW Deluxe models. IMO they are some of the most attractive DE razors ever made. Helped of course by the fact that the Richwood and I share the name!

Excited to find this thread as I have just acquired an Old Type Big Fellow in very good condition.

To be honest I didn't know this model existed until I looked on mr-razor.

Here the Big Fellow is, really quite magnificent:
proxy.php

Serial # M825083 so is that 1920?
proxy.php

And it really is big next to this heavy patinaSingle Ring:
proxy.php

And quite hefty too:
proxy.php

The Big Question for me with the Big Fellow is how will it shave?

My first shave with the Big Fellow:
proxy.php

Wow! With a NOS Gillette Platinum blade the shave was phenomenal.
Exceptionally smooth and with a result to match an Eclipse Red Ring or an R41.

I guess this was the original "Grande" razor and there's a great ad for it suggesting that it is designed to attract men who generally prefer straight razors and are not particularly interested in the safety aspect:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Werbung/C 1920-11-10 Big Fellow England.jpg

There are also ads which suggest that this razor is designed to be "manly" and aimed at men with big hands, big arms and outdoor jobs (the Durham Dorset was marketed similarly).

Well I have small hands and I absolutely love this Big Fellow.

When I first encountered Old Types and Single Rings I had some rough and ineffectual shaves until I realised that the shave quality is very variable.
Like the early Ever Readys and GEMs each individual one of these earlier Gillettes shaves slightly differently.
Maybe because of the manufacturing tolerances, maybe because of the rigours of time.

And the real revelation for me was to use the adjustable feature.
Loosening the handle 1/8 turn as the Gillette literature suggests, transforms my Single Ring and this Old Type Big Fellow into stellar shavers which easily contend with any of the heavy hitting DEs vintage or modern.

Combined with the big handle, extra weight, great looks and that attractive wooden case the Big Fellow could be one of the ultimate DEs.

My second shave with the Old Type Big Fellow was magnificent too:
proxy.php

I'm surprised that this razor is so little talked about when it is such an incredible shaver, feels so good in the hand and looks so beautiful.

It's instantly become one of my all time favourites.

Next we have the way the handles were attached to the heads of all four razors. The New De Luxe inner tube is as beautiful as the rest of the razor. And finally here is the comparison of the Big Fellow to other razors from Gillette over the years.

proxy.php

1. The long handle Super Adjustable
2. The Old Type Big Fellow
3. The 1940's Super Speed
4. The New Improved Tuckaway
5. The Milady from 1940.

Hopefully this clears up a few questions.
Len

Slightly off topic, and years after the fact, but the Superspeed pictured appears to be rhodium plated. I had a Ranger Tech in rhodium at one point, nice to see another example.

Shaved with my New Improved Big Fellow this morning:
IMG_6806.JPG

More aggressive and with more blade feel than the magnificent Old Type Big Fellow and a simply superb shave.
These are surely Gillette's masterpieces!

I confess, Father, for I have sinned. I have deep seated lust in my heart for razor #4 (top picture).

Len, I too found the Gillette New Improved too aggressive, until I learned to lower the angle of the handle slightly. Now it's a love.

Have you tried lowering the angle of the handle?

Here are my Big Fellows and Boy

big.JPG

I love the Big series of Gillette razors and I think that they can hold there own with any of the modern SS models so popular today in quality of shave and personally I think that in looks they are in a class of their own :

Top left: the Old Type Big Fellow in silver plate , I think that the Gillette Old Type are great all round shavers smooth and efficient . This is the best looking of the Big Boys/Fellows in my opinion.Serial #807165

Top Right :New improved Big Fellow in silver plate , as efficient as the Old Style but not as smooth. Serial # 690177A

Bottom Left:The NEW British Big Fellow Chromium #20 - Raised Flat Bottom , I think that this is by far the smoothest of the "Bigs" . Really enjoy shaving with this razor it exudes class.

Bottom Right : the New Big Boy Chromium Deluxe , this is the most efficient of the four but not the smoothest .This razor shaves a lot like a modern razor I have in my rotation, the Wolfman OC

Glenn

I have two Big Boys, gold and chromium and one silver Big Fellow. I like them all, but the Big Fellow surprised me. I was scared to use it for a while, lots of people here said it was aggressive, it wasn't, it was a great smooth shave.

Here are my Big Fellows and Boy

View attachment 782046
I love the Big series of Gillette razors and I think that they can hold there own with any of the modern SS models so popular today in quality of shave and personally I think that in looks they are in a class of their own :

Top left: the Old Type Big Fellow in silver plate , I think that the Gillette Old Type are great all round shavers smooth and efficient . This is the best looking of the Big Boys/Fellows in my opinion.Serial #807165

Top Right :New improved Big Fellow in silver plate , as efficient as the Old Style but not as smooth. Serial # 690177A

Bottom Left:The NEW British Big Fellow Chromium #20 - Raised Flat Bottom , I think that this is by far the smoothest of the "Bigs" . Really enjoy shaving with this razor it exudes class.

Bottom Right : the New Big Boy Chromium Deluxe , this is the most efficient of the four but not the smoothest .This razor shaves a lot like a modern razor I have in my rotation, the Wolfman OC

Glenn
What a gorgeous collection Glenn!

Top Bottom