What's new

The Gillette Big Boy/Big Fellows

this just came up on a newer thread regarding an old type big fellow vs. old type. would measurements of the handle help in differentiating these razors from their counterparts of the same era? circumference of handle, length of handle?

this just came up on a newer thread regarding an old type big fellow vs. old type. would measurements of the handle help in differentiating these razors from their counterparts of the same era? circumference of handle, length of handle?

Yes. The handles are considerably longer and heavier than the similarly configured 3 piece Single Rings.

Since I last posted, I have been lucky to find a Deluxe, serial # 66072, from a gent in Prague, Chech Republic. It's a good shaver and I'm really glad to have it. Shortly after buying this one, I located and bought what I initially thought was going to be an Old Type Big Fellow, but instead, it turned out to be a single ring from about 1919. Also a very nice razor.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I know the Old Type Big Fellow only silver plated. The New Improved Big Fellow comes silver- and gold plated.

The SN on mine puts it 1920. It is gold does not look to have been replated, the wood box is original......Was the New Improved out in 1920?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I'm confused. Is it an Old Type or a New Improved Big Fellow you've got?

It has to be a new improved. The old type did not come in gold. I was more curious when the new improved came out. This one has a 1920 date code. I believe the new improved was 1st introduced in 1919. I was looking for verification.

It has to be a new improved. The old type did not come in gold. I was more curious when the new improved came out. This one has a 1920 date code. I believe the new improved was 1st introduced in 1919. I was looking for verification.

Here's a gold Old Type Big Fellow that sold on the BST a while back. Looks proper and correct to me.

Assuming you've got the cap studs, if your guard plate is flat it's a New Improved, if it's curved it's an Old Type. If your reading of the serial number is correct, I'm betting Old Type.

You posting also Helped me to Confirm That i did have The Rare New Big Boy/Big Fellow hybrid variant. And being that it was only made in 1929 Only. I would guess to say I Am a lucky guy to Find 2 Deluxe Gold Sets in Gold Cases and 1 Single New Big Boy/Big Fellow hybrid variant. For a Total of 3 Hybrid's In less the a Months time. Wow i wonder if that's a Record? LOL Jk. Anyways you post has helped me out out, Would love to find # 3 in you picture :thumbup:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Here's a gold Old Type Big Fellow that sold on the BST a while back. Looks proper and correct to me.

Assuming you've got the cap studs, if your guard plate is flat it's a New Improved, if it's curved it's an Old Type. If your reading of the serial number is correct, I'm betting Old Type.

That is where my confusion has come from all of a sudden. It has the old type head. SN is N231916, that puts it 1920. As I was reading this thread and then Achim saying the old type only came in silver, I am baffled.

Here's a gold Old Type Big Fellow that sold on the BST a while back. Looks proper and correct to me...

That is where my confusion has come from all of a sudden. It has the old type head. SN is N231916, that puts it 1920. As I was reading this thread and then Achim saying the old type only came in silver, I am baffled.

I´m saying, I know only the silver plated Old Type Big Fellow. I´ve looked at old Ad´s and pricelists and found no informations about a gold Big Fellow.

Thanks for the BST link - we never stop learning

Top Bottom