What's new

Gillette 'De Luxe' Combination Set (1918) - A dream come true!

Gillette 'De Luxe' Combination Set (1918)

• I still can't quite believe that I managed to find another one of the sets I never thought I should own.
  • Owning just one of these 3 sets is fantastic, but having the 3 most expensive sets Gillette ever produced in the collection is just surreal and quite overwhelming to be honest.
  • Product brochures from 1918, 1929 and 1931 showing the 3 generations of razors being the 'Old Type', 'New Improved' and 'NEW'.
  • Truly amazing historic pieces 👌🏼
  • Lastly a family photo showing the fleet of engraved sets 😁

IMG_3418.jpg
IMG_3423.JPG
IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3429.jpg
IMG_3430.jpg

Wonder how huch 75 bucks was back then, and if converted to USD today its value?

Very cool find.

Just over $1300-$1350 depending on which inflation calculator you use. For 1929 to 2023

Edit to add that because the great depression drastically deflated the dollar if you convert $75 from say 1931 to today it becomes over $1500 and 1932 it becomes over $1600

Just over $1300-$1350 depending on which inflation calculator you use. For 1929 to 2023

Edit to add that because the great depression was drastically deflated the dollar if you convert $75 from say 1931 to today and it becomes over $1500

Well that is big amount of change, wonder if the Flujnd Set belong to Mobster Al Capone, he had dough.

Somebody beat me to it, but for the first set it's reasonable to use value in gold to estimate the status of an item in its time(last two get murkier). $50 was what you would get if you exchanged 2oz of gold and you easily could back then. There were luxury automobiles costing $1k back then, more than many people's housing. Many things were more affordable back then, but income was lower and that only accentuated the status of luxury goods for the average person.

By the 20's, the inflation was higher due to the war, but gold was still forced down to the pre-war value. $75 is probably represented by this inflation better than gold value. This would be about 1/4th the cost of a model T which I have read older estimates claiming that building one today would be around $10k so, $2500 give or take for a status item like this probably gives you an idea what the average person would think of it.

Obviously the 30's was complicated because gold was suppressed even more, the set wouldn't have been the equivalent of 2.5oz($5k). Realistically, the price at the time might have been more affordable compared to the previous set... for those with money. Sorry, didn't mean to wright an essay.

Somebody beat me to it, but for the first set it's reasonable to use value in gold to estimate the status of an item in its time(last two get murkier). $50 was what you would get if you exchanged 2oz of gold and you easily could back then. There were luxury automobiles costing $1k back then, more than many people's housing. Many things were more affordable back then, but income was lower and that only accentuated the status of luxury goods for the average person.

By the 20's, the inflation was higher due to the war, but gold was still forced down to the pre-war value. $75 is probably represented by this inflation better than gold value. This would be about 1/4th the cost of a model T which I have read older estimates claiming that building one today would be around $10k so, $2500 give or take for a status item like this probably gives you an idea what the average person would think of it.

Obviously the 30's was complicated because gold was suppressed even more, the set wouldn't have been the equivalent of 2.5oz($5k). Realistically, the price at the time might have been more affordable compared to the previous set... for those with money. Sorry, didn't mean to wright an essay.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts I enjoyed reading it 🙂

WoW!!!! I thought there was only one Gillette King! You must be King D. Gillette!!

The early travel sets have always been a weak spot for me, although I haven‘much to show for it. But you my liege! WoW!

Top Bottom