What's new

The Gillette Big Boy/Big Fellows

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I´m saying, I know only the silver plated Old Type Big Fellow. I´ve looked at old Ad´s and pricelists and found no informations about a gold Big Fellow.

Thanks for the BST link - we never stop learning

Sorry for the misunderstanding Achim, as you stated I have done research as well. Razors can be puzzling. I need to get some pics up. I will do it tonight for all to see.

There has always been some confusion about the Gillette vintage Big Boy/Big Fellow line of razors. Here's a brief description of the four different razors and a comparison to other razors in the Gillette line.

proxy.php

1. The Old Type Big Fellow introduced in 1919 and made for only a short time until 1921..
2. The New Improved Big Fellow replaced the Old Type and was sold in the same wooden case.
3. The New De Luxe Big Boy was made for only a short time from 1929 to February of 1931. It was sold in an attractive metal case.
4. The New Big Boy/Big Fellow hybrid variant. It has a shorter handle which screws directly to the cap like the standard New razors. It used the same case as the New De Luxe . There was no serial number and was probably made around 1929.

Note: The New De Luxe Big Boy was sold in either 24 kt gold or chrome plate. This is true of the De Luxe models Norfolk and Criterion.

Next we have the way the handles were attached to the heads of all four razors. The New De Luxe inner tube is as beautiful as the rest of the razor.

proxy.php

And finally here is the comparison of the Big Fellow to other razors from Gillette over the years.

proxy.php

1. The long handle Super Adjustable
2. The Old Type Big Fellow
3. The 1940's Super Speed
4. The New Improved Tuckaway
5. The Milady from 1940.

Hopefully this clears up a few questions.
Len

Does the new improved Tuckaway have the same head as all new improved razors?

Last edited:
I also took my son to a new barbershop last Saturday morning and the barber had a case with vintage razors on display. One of them was a New Improved Big Fellow (gold). I wanted to get it out and clean it up for him because it was quite dirty and scummy. It was a beauty though.

Ben

I also took my son to a new barbershop last Saturday morning and the barber had a case with vintage razors on display. One of them was a New Improved Big Fellow (gold). I wanted to get it out and clean it up for him because it was quite dirty and scummy. It was a beauty though.

Ben
Thats a natural reaction with me too. And to give the history of the razor model. I use terms that only our B&B members understand, others just go WHUH?

I just bought a razor of the bay that was billed as a Big Boy, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure. Does this look like a Big Boy to any of you?

proxy.php

proxy.php

No, that's a two-piece British NEW from something like a No. 77 or No. 88 set. They also came in combination sets from what I've seen. They're fantastic shavers even if it's not what the seller said it was.

No, that's a two-piece British NEW from something like a No. 77 or No. 88 set. They also came in combination sets from what I've seen. They're fantastic shavers even if it's not what the seller said it was.

Got it, thanks! Well since I didn't quite know what to look for I bought it thinking it was a Big Boy. Someday I'll land one. Btw, with this mistake, this marks the second No. 88 I bought within the last 30 days from the bay. Here's the first (pics from the auction posting):

proxy.php

proxy.php

I know the Old Type Big Fellow only in the wooden case. The New Improved Big Fellow comes in wooden and metal case.

Got it, thanks! Well since I didn't quite know what to look for I bought it thinking it was a Big Boy. Someday I'll land one. Btw, with this mistake, this marks the second No. 88 I bought within the last 30 days from the bay. Here's the first (pics from the auction posting):

proxy.php

proxy.php
So you had a 88 already, didnt you notice the resemblance ?

So you had a 88 already, didnt you notice the resemblance ?
Yeah, I did, but because I don't quite understand the distinctions between Big Fellows, Big Boys and the No. 88, I fell for the description rather than focusing on other tell-tale things like 3 piece vs 2 piece, and so on. What can I say, I goofed.

Yeah, I did, but because I don't quite understand the distinctions between Big Fellows, Big Boys and the No. 88, I fell for the description rather than focusing on other tell-tale things like 3 piece vs 2 piece, and so on. What can I say, I goofed.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you tell me what the plating is on the Old Type Big Fellow? Just picked one up in a collection of mainly junk with a few gems thrown in today. I'll get a pic up in a bit

Can you tell me what the plating is on the Old Type Big Fellow? Just picked one up in a collection of mainly junk with a few gems thrown in today. I'll get a pic up in a bit

I believe the Big Fellows were plated in Silver or Gold. The Big Boy came in Chromium or Gold.

Top Bottom