What's new

The Friday Savinelli

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Hope it shows up. I’m currently into Yuengling but miss the oldies - Schmidt’s of Philadelphia, Reingold etc.

Schmidt's. I have some paraphernalia to that one around our bar area, including some 60's vintage taproom neon.

Ortliebs ("Joe's Beer"), Piels, Carling BL, Genny. All old-time working man's beers from the East. Yuengling, and before that Rolling Rock, have since peeled off into the niche market.

If I have a hard time finding Schaefer this summer (it's hit-or-miss some years), I might hunt down some Black Label instead.

I can't afford 'craft' beers. The closest I get is some Polish beer on Sundays. I spend too much on good booze and tobacco anyway. ;)

Schmidt's 68.JPG

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Schmidt's. I have some paraphernalia to that one around our bar area, including some 60's vintage taproom neon.

Ortliebs ("Joe's Beer"), Piels, Carling BL, Genny. All old-time working man's beers from the East. Yuengling, and before that Rolling Rock, have since peeled off into the niche market.

If I have a hard time finding Schaefer this summer (it's hit-or-miss some years), I might hunt down some Black Label instead.

I can't afford 'craft' beers. The closest I get is some Polish beer on Sundays. I spend too much on good booze and tobacco anyway. ;)

View attachment 1260647
Schmidt’s was an all time favorite. Made in Philly. Now made in Tx. Don’t tell me Black
Label is still made! I’m not into craft beer much. The stuff I used to make was just as good IMHO

A leisurely half-hour smoke on the front step, since the trees are blocking the worst of the sunlight. The baby Savinelli 404 (perhaps some day it will grow up to be a big strong billiard) is a good match for the Half & Half I loaded into it. I sipped and got some interesting flavors from the H & H this time -- one might say, a hint of salt (?). Which might be partly due to the iced sparkling mineral water I was sipping as I puffed and read.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Some SWRA in a brown Alligator 622KS bent pot after dinner. No photos tonight.

It’s been a long, hectic week. Doctors, fixing our tractor with my son, networking tech issues. But I’m still here.

Good to put my feet up with a cold can, a warm pipe, and consider this week concluded and productive.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A leisurely half-hour smoke on the front step, since the trees are blocking the worst of the sunlight. The baby Savinelli 404 (perhaps some day it will grow up to be a big strong billiard) is a good match for the Half & Half I loaded into it. I sipped and got some interesting flavors from the H & H this time -- one might say, a hint of salt (?). Which might be partly due to the iced sparkling mineral water I was sipping as I puffed and read.
Funny you mention salt. Sometimes when I’m smoking I think “this tobacco needs some salt”. I even put salt in my coffee though.

Early morning and a pipe with coffee and a Hill Street Blues episode: my 1980s Savinelli billiard with the military mount and lightly arched P-lip stem, loaded with some Granger. I packed it last night, but didn't get a chance to smoke. So today the leaf was nicely dried and ready for nearly 30 minutes' smoke (1 relight).

Payday today, and my employer finally wised up enough to scrap the face muzzle nonsense, so a pretty good day. I capped it with a mix of Half & Half with Edgeworth Match in my sandblasted Savinelli Dry System billiard. Hot out, so I waited about an hour after dinner to sit on the step with a book and pipe for 30 pleasant minutes.

I see I did the same mix today as last Friday, Edgeworth Match and Half & Half. Today was my baby Savinelli 404, a sandblasted pocket pipe. If this were a living creature, you'd say it would grow up to be a Zulu -- its slightly canted bowl and a light bend to the stem show a distinct resemblance.

This pipe, I've discovered, is a good fit for me. The flattened shank makes it easy to hold in a forefinger and thumb. The heel does get pretty hot to the touch late in a 20-minute smoke, so holding it that way is a lot more pleasant in the hot humid weather here than holding the bowl.

Top Bottom