What's new

The Friday Savinelli

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I thought I would try to spark a fun new Friday thread here at BL.

A little back story first: some of you here may remember John Harden, aka Matches 860, who was a YouTube fixture on pipe smoking for a number of years before his death in early 2020. I never met John. But I thought he had an easygoing outlook on pipe smoking and life, and was an encouraging resource for the novice (and occasionally not-so-novice) pipers.

One of John’s favorite pipes, that he reserved for Fridays to partake of various blends and ponderances, was “The Friday Savinelli” — a humble Savinelli Roma Lucite 673KS. Following John’s passing, sales of that particular pipe have surged. Savinelli even released a special tribute edition of 860 of them in John’s memory.

While John’s favorite pipe is as popular than ever, one thing that passed with him were his Friday Savinelli entries. Not intending to create a permanent memorial to John, but the thought of continuing with our own Friday Savinelli posts here at BL might be a fun weekly event.

Many of us have a Savinelli. We all have Fridays. Why not combine the two.

As we ease into Spring, with increasing outdoor pipe romps, those old videos of John in the park with The Friday Savinelli are as encouraging as ever.

So I'll launch this thread, and we’ll see where it goes. The only posting suggestion is that it involve your smokes out of a Savinelli on a Friday. Any smoke. Any Savinelli. Any Friday. Anywhere. Pix or no pix.

And if someone wants to go off on a detour and frolic to make ponderance, no one will stop you. I’m not going to keep an eye on this thread like I do the Codger Cabin, so please don’t take it personally if I don’t 'like' every response. I figure the community can steer it along.

Today is Friday, so I’ll get it going: PA (from my unsealed reserve), in a Roma Lucite 673KS. It’s a gorgeous Friday today, and I have a lot to be thankful for. A perfect day for a Friday Savinelli. I'll probably be taking it outside in a few minutes.

Now let’s see all your Friday Savinellis.

FS1.jpeg

This afternoon I chose some Granger for my vintage Savinelli, the sandblasted billiard with the military mount and slightly bent P-lip stem -- my "Somerset Maugham" pipe from the '80s. Very nice session as I sat on my step with pipe, book, and mineral water. Apparently I am really getting the hang of smoking these codger blends: Yesterday I had a fine smoke with Half & Half, and today the Granger.

Maybe my new Savinelli 404 will be here by next Friday, but I won't count on it. In the meantime I will try to snap some better pics of the SM pipe than the one I posted earlier: Pipe Of The Day (POTD) - https://tinyurl.com/5x8fwjbb The stem looks a lot better now than in that pic.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Wow had no idea. Haven’t seen or had it in years. Used to be out of NY didn’t it?

Originally a NYC national-market beer. In the 70s, production moved to PA. Then it was bought by Stroh, and then Pabst. Production moved to Milwaukee for a while. Now Pabst is having it brewed in NY again by FX Matt (brewers of Saranac).

It’s a classic light lawnmower beer. You can drink it all afternoon with no effects. The beer snobs hate it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Originally a NYC national-market beer. In the 70s, production moved to PA. Then it was bought by Stroh, and then Pabst. Production moved to Milwaukee for a while. Now Pabst is having it brewed in NY again by FX Matt (brewers of Saranac).

It’s a classic light lawnmower beer. You can drink it all afternoon with no effects. The beer snobs hate it.
Hope it shows up. I’m currently into Yuengling but miss the oldies - Schmidt’s of Philadelphia, Reingold etc.

Top Bottom