What's new

The Friday Savinelli

A good combo today: the '80s Savinelli sandblast billiard with the military mount, the Somerset Maugham pipe, charged with Edward G. Robinson blend. This was the first time I've smoked this leaf in a long while, and I really got a lot out of it -- it's not heavy with Latakia, but still there are flavors. Breath method brought me a good 35 minutes, and 5 more after 1 relight.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
This week I got in a change-of-pace Friday Savinelli. Three bowls of H&H after dinner in the Roma Lucite 673KS.

Yesterday evening's smoke with the Savinelli baby sandblast showed me yet again that small bowls have their values. I have larger-bowled pipes. Even my Peterson 307, not huge, holds quite a bit of leaf and can yield a good 40-minute smoke. But when it's hot outside, when you're in a mood for a quick smoke, a pocket pipe like the Savinelli is perfect.

Yesterday afternoon, a cool day at last, called for a smoke: the baby Savinelli sandblast, loaded with Half & Half. It yielded about 20 minutes from the small bowl. I put it aside for dinner, then brought it back out for a relight before bed, and got another 5.

Some Barking Dog match in this BIG Savinelli de luxe Canadian. You'd think a straight pipe this long with such a large bowl would be ungainly, but the balance is perfect.

IMG_0168_kindlephoto-187290665.jpg

IMG_0162_kindlephoto-187485428.jpg

I've set some Match Field & Stream out to dry on a saucer for this evening. When I get home I'll load it into the big Savinelli, the '80s sandblast billiard with the military mount (the "Somerset Maugham" pipe), and relax a bit before dinner

This morning, a post-breakfast pipe with Half & Half in the Savinelli sandblast billiard, the Dry System model from the '80s. It turned out a good 35-minute smoke, albeit with several relights. The problem I'm noticing with this pipe now is the P-Lip stem: It is only lightly arched, not bent like those on Peterson system pipes, and I wind up getting it quite wet with saliva as I smoke. I had to wipe the stem down every few minutes. I can't imagine much moisture goes *down* the pipe!

I cleaned it out as I've been advised to do with the Peterson: break it down (it has a military mount), clean out the reservoir with a Q-tip, and only then tap out the dottle.

I see I haven't been back to this thread in a while! This afternoon, back home early from work, I've loaded up the '80s Savinelli sandblast with a mix of Mac Baren Golden Extra plus a pinch of Lane 1-Q. I'm getting the Lane's root beer aroma intermingled with a roasted sort of scent from the Virginia/burley in the MB.

Top Bottom