What's new

The Friday Savinelli

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I see I did the same mix today as last Friday, Edgeworth Match and Half & Half. Today was my baby Savinelli 404, a sandblasted pocket pipe. If this were a living creature, you'd say it would grow up to be a Zulu -- its slightly canted bowl and a light bend to the stem show a distinct resemblance.

This pipe, I've discovered, is a good fit for me. The flattened shank makes it easy to hold in a forefinger and thumb. The heel does get pretty hot to the touch late in a 20-minute smoke, so holding it that way is a lot more pleasant in the hot humid weather here than holding the bowl.

Very enjoyable commentary. I'll be joining you later this afternoon in the Savinelli Circle. Staring at one of my Punto Oros on the rack as I head out on the road.

This morning, I have to work through a little PA Match in a cavernous new Vauen Mirage pot I'm breaking in. A perfectly-made $105 white dot. Already an exemplary smoker. With your past appreciation of German workmanship, that is one pipe line I'm surprised you have not yet sampled.

Very enjoyable commentary. I'll be joining you later this afternoon in the Savinelli Circle. Staring at one of my Punto Oros on the rack as I head out on the road.

This morning, I have to work through a little PA Match in a cavernous new Vauen Mirage pot I'm breaking in. A perfectly-made $105 white dot. Already an exemplary smoker. With your past appreciation of German workmanship, that is one pipe line I'm surprised you have not yet sampled.
Vauens can be had at that low a price? I thought they were $200 + pipes?

Stonehaven in a Savinelli "one" 321

20210604_130754.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Vauens can be had at that low a price? I thought they were $200 + pipes?

A standard grade non-white dot Vauen can be bought new from a US dealer for under $100. Having one of those regular grade Vauens, it is nearly as nice as the white dots, and smokes well above its price point. A great outdoor or travel pipe, and it is good looking, too.

Both TP and SP sell Vauens. The white dots can sell for well over $300 on some models, but most are under $200. And if you shop on Ebay, there are sometimes collectors selling NOS (new old stock) white dots for as low as $75. I picked up an early 1990s vintage white dot with sterling silver trim, brand new in the box, for $90 that way.

The $105 one I found on sale at a dealer for $40-50 off, and grabbed it. I like pots very much, and this one is a big wide one.

I've grown into a big fan of Vauens, surprisingly very late in my piping years for some reason. As my son occasionally takes a liking to my other pipes (and walks off with them, which I don't mind) I have been replacing them with Vauens. I now have six of them.

All of them are superior smokers and extremely well made for a factory pipe. Terrific value, all things considered. But they are all 9mm, which means either an adapter or a filter. Having tried a 9mm Vauen filter, they are not bad filters at all. But I mainly use the adapters in them.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Schmidt’s was an all time favorite. Made in Philly. Now made in Tx. Don’t tell me Black
Label is still made! I’m not into craft beer much. The stuff I used to make was just as good IMHO

Been a long Friday today. Plenty of time on the road today, with a last stop at the beer distributor before finally returning home. Looking forward to seeing my son tonight.

Well, they had some Schaefers again this trip. And a case of Hamms for a change of pace as June warms up. Yeah, I like cheap lawnmower beer. Especially when it's hot.

Beer Run.jpeg

After a light dinner, I'm lighting up a Sav Punto Oro bent pot with some LLRR. If I can get a picture of that, I'll post it.

A standard grade non-white dot Vauen can be bought new from a US dealer for under $100. Having one of those regular grade Vauens, it is nearly as nice as the white dots, and smokes well above its price point. A great outdoor or travel pipe, and it is good looking, too.
. . .
The Vauen 1692 is a very good-looking beast, like a big brother to my small Italian London Briar basket pipe.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
No pics, but my Series III was filled with North American Carter Hall yesterday evening as Mrs. Rookie joined me on the porch. We spent a delightful hour or so solving the world's (or at least Baltimore's) problems as she smoked half my pipe.

I think you're going to need more than an hour for that. ;)

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Escudo in the Roma 673 this afternoon, with some Hamms and Beer Nuts.

And my son is working the BBQ this lovely Friday for me. So no pics.

A mix, loaded into the pipe last night, of Field & Stream Match plus the last bits of my first Half & Half pouch, in my Savinelli from the '80s. This is my lightly-bent, sandblasted billiard with the military mount and P-Lip stem. I smoked it outside for a time, stepped back into the coolness, went back out again, etc., for about 25 minutes with only 1 relight needed.

I hadn't smoked at all since Wednesday morning, so my senses were clear. I got a pleasant "toasted" or "roasted" scent from the tobacco. Yes, I was trying that retrohaling thing, but no luck yet. Doesn't matter; 'twas a fine smoke.

A bowl from a fresh pouch of my beloved Half & Half this morning in my baby Savinelli 404 as I watched a Hill Street Blues episode. I hadn't smoked H & H by itself in a little while, and was pleased all over again at the aroma and taste.

Top Bottom