What's new

Probably should have stayed out of this forum...

Quick background:

I started smoking cigarettes at age 13 or 14. Smoked a pack a day for 50-years. Around 30 years ago I bought some pipes to try and wean myself from the cigs, with no success. I'd smoke a bowl, put down the pipe and grab a cigarette. Pipes went into a drawer.

About ten years ago I took to vaping, and eventually gave up cigarettes, but I admit that I LOVE smoking. So, I dug out my pipes yesterday, after reading here a bit. I figured I'm at a point where I can smoke them without inhaling or relapsing to cigarettes. If I need a quick nic fix, I go to my vape.

Anyway, intrigued by a corn cob, of which I have none, I went to Pipes & Cigars and ordered a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman and a Legend, both with bent stems. Got some balsa filters, pipe cleaners, two nails, a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Regular and Aromatic to start. Not bad for 50 bucks.

I wanted to revisit my old briar pipes while waiting for the cobs to arrive, so while out today with Mrs. gpjoe, I stopped at a nearby "tobacco" store (75% vaping and herbal gear) to get some tobacco. Ended up getting a MM Washington with bent stem and one pouch each of Captain Black Original, and Half and Half. Got a pack of Dr Grabow filters and some pipe cleaners. Total damages: under $25.

Anyway, filled the bowl on my new cob with the Black using the "three layer" technique and had my first pipe smoke in thirty years, and it was wonderful. Didn't inhale, and have no urge to go for the cigarette chaser. Very nice.

I do have a few questions:

Do I need to worry about burning my briar or cob pipes?...best way to avoid ruining them? I'm guessing common sense says don't use a torch, and only apply a flame long enough to get a good burn going...and part two: Can I potentially burn my pipes by trying to light completely burned load of tobacco?

Can filtered pipes (in my case the cobs) be smoked without a filter?

Is there a thread describing the different cuts of tobacco and smoking characteristics?...what is the cut of the brands/types I have posted above?

And, finally, as with shaving creams and soaps, I'm already imagining vanilla, cherry, bourbon, almond, citrus etc...so, where might a good starting point be for this "beginner" to explore some tobaccos that are mild, mellow, and easy smoking, yet offer flavors beyond standard tobacco?

Oh, and I was surprised to find that one of my old pipes is a Savinelli. 🙂

Thanks for reading.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

Yes you can definitely burn out a cob, but they are less likely to do so than a briar as the interior is coated with plaster. Trying to burn all the tobacco to the bottom will burn the hardwood tenon that extend into the bowl, but that’s no biggie as it will eventually burn anyways. Your cobs have a hardwood plug in the bottom, and that can burn if you keep sucking flames down the bottom. The worst though is you might burn your mouth if you suck the flames too far down the pipe.

As far as tobacco, there are soo many out there it’s hard to suggest certain ones. Aromatic wise the best tasting one to me was Cult Blood Red Moon, a cherry chocolate tobacco. Granted I don’t smoke aromatics much and stick to non-aros.

Half the fun is buying 1oz samples to try and see what you like.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Some old threads for you perusal

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What you've bought is Ribbon cut. Most of what we refer to here lovingly as the "Codger Blends" are.
There's a thread with a link to different cuts described, I'll find it.
It's possible to damage your briars, but if you just take it easy and err on the side of caution you should be fine. It takes real effort to destroy a cob pipe.
I have many pipes designed to accept filters and don't use filters at all
Welcome to the Brown Leaf!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here's an article, I don't know that there are many who agree with their list of beginner tobaccos, but halfway down is a very good description of different cuts.

Great info, thanks guys.

I know that flavor and taste are very subjective, and as such I will need to try a bunch to find those that suit my taste. I was just wondering if there were any can't-miss-universally-loved brands/flavors that were a good starting point. Over time, I'll figure it out. After all, that's part of the fun I suppose.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Quick background:

I started smoking cigarettes at age 13 or 14. Smoked a pack a day for 50-years. Around 30 years ago I bought some pipes to try and wean myself from the cigs, with no success. I'd smoke a bowl, put down the pipe and grab a cigarette. Pipes went into a drawer.

About ten years ago I took to vaping, and eventually gave up cigarettes, but I admit that I LOVE smoking. So, I dug out my pipes yesterday, after reading here a bit. I figured I'm at a point where I can smoke them without inhaling or relapsing to cigarettes. If I need a quick nic fix, I go to my vape.

Anyway, intrigued by a corn cob, of which I have none, I went to Pipes & Cigars and ordered a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman and a Legend, both with bent stems. Got some balsa filters, pipe cleaners, two nails, a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Regular and Aromatic to start. Not bad for 50 bucks.

I wanted to revisit my old briar pipes while waiting for the cobs to arrive, so while out today with Mrs. gpjoe, I stopped at a nearby "tobacco" store (75% vaping and herbal gear) to get some tobacco. Ended up getting a MM Washington with bent stem and one pouch each of Captain Black Original, and Half and Half. Got a pack of Dr Grabow filters and some pipe cleaners. Total damages: under $25.

Anyway, filled the bowl on my new cob with the Black using the "three layer" technique and had my first pipe smoke in thirty years, and it was wonderful. Didn't inhale, and have no urge to go for the cigarette chaser. Very nice.

Do I need to worry about burning my briar or cob pipes?...best way to avoid ruining them? I'm guessing common sense says don't use a torch, and only apply a flame long enough to get a good burn going...and part two: Can I potentially burn my pipes by trying to light completely burned load of tobacco?

Is there a thread describing the different cuts of tobacco and smoking characteristics?...what is the cut of the brands/types I have posted above?

And, finally, as with shaving creams and soaps, I'm already imagining vanilla, cherry, bourbon, almond, citrus etc...so, where might a good starting point be for this "beginner" to explore some tobaccos that are mild, mellow, and easy smoking, yet offer flavors beyond standard tobacco?

Thanks for reading.
Your experience pretty much parallels mine. I smoked cigs for 50 years until I had both femoral arteries blocked...Docs said left one was 80% blocked and the right one was 100% blocked. Docs said smoking was the number one cause for peripheral artery disease. They cut both arteries open and scraped them out, then super glued everything back together. I quit cigs about a week later. I smoke one to three pipe bowls of an evening and don't have any real cravings for cigs anymore, but I quit a bit over a year ago. I do want a cig every once in awhile but it's not bad. YMMV

There's a lot of people here that know a lot more than I do, so you should get some great advise.

Don't use a torch. Just a Bic, Zippo, Ronson, match or some type of soft flame.

I never use a filter.

This site will give you more info than you want to know.

That's where you'll have to experiment...Kent has good advise on ordering samples. Get your Brown Leaf Badge and you can trade/receive tobacco in that sub-forum.

I have two Savs. :a14:

Welcome back to the pipe.

Great info, thanks guys.

I know that flavor and taste are very subjective, and as such I will need to try a bunch to find those that suit my taste. I was just wondering if there were any can't-miss-universally-loved brands/flavors that were a good starting point. Over time, I'll figure it out. After all, that's part of the fun I suppose.
Welcome back to the pipe, sir!

I've been back to pipes for about 18 months, after an on again-off again period from '84 to about '03 where I might smoke a pipe once a week, if that. Since coming here, I've learned much better technique to avoid the dreaded tongue bite and to improve the entire experience. There are vids on YouTube that will give you all sorts of tips on loading the pipe and smoking it.

From what I can gather, Sir Walter Raleigh Regular and his cousin the Aromatic are widely liked and inexpensive to boot. I've never tried any of the tobaccos mentioned on that "10 Pipe Tobaccos for Beginners," but I have sampled other items from many of those blenders.

You'll find what you like and dislike.

Your experience pretty much parallels mine. I smoked cigs for 50 years until I had both femoral arteries blocked...Docs said left one was 80% blocked and the right one was 100% blocked. Docs said smoking was the number one cause for peripheral artery disease. They cut both arteries open and scraped them out, then super glued everything back together. I quit cigs about a week later. I smoke one to three pipe bowls of an evening and don't have any real cravings for cigs anymore, but I quit a bit over a year ago. I do want a cig every once in awhile but it's not bad. YMMV

There's a lot of people here that know a lot more than I do, so you should get some great advise.

Don't use a torch. Just a Bic, Zippo, Ronson, match or some type of soft flame.

I never use a filter.

This site will give you more info than you want to know.

That's where you'll have to experiment...Kent has good advise on ordering samples. Get your Brown Leaf Badge and you can trade/receive tobacco in that sub-forum.

I have two Savs. :a14:

Welcome back to the pipe.

My curse is genetic. All of my and his four brothers all had vascular disease. Accordingly, when I approached my 50th birthday, I went to a cardiologist forscreening.

No surprise that he discovered the start of an aneurysm in my abdominal aorta. After watching it grow over twelve years via a yearly ultrasound, it required a stent which was inserted two years ago via a catheter.

Nice part is that I had been working on my smoking cessation for many years, and by the time I required surgery I was only smoking a couple of butts per day, so giving those up was more of a psychological exercise.

Welcome back to the pipe, sir!

I've been back to pipes for about 18 months, after an on again-off again period from '84 to about '03 where I might smoke a pipe once a week, if that. Since coming here, I've learned much better technique to avoid the dreaded tongue bite and to improve the entire experience. There are vids on YouTube that will give you all sorts of tips on loading the pipe and smoking it.

From what I can gather, Sir Walter Raleigh Regular and his cousin the Aromatic are widely liked and inexpensive to boot. I've never tried any of the tobaccos mentioned on that "10 Pipe Tobaccos for Beginners," but I have sampled other items from many of those blenders.

You'll find what you like and dislike.

Thank you.

It's so funny that we go to YouTube for everything unknown. I do it all the time. Youngsters have no idea how difficult we had it, finding our own way...not to mention walking to school, in the winter, against the wind and up hill - both ways. 🙂

I actually had a very nice smoke today. Packed the bowl in threes, and didnt over-smoke it, so I was able to avoid the dreaded bite.

My curse is genetic. My father and four uncles all had vascular disease. Accordingly, when I approached my 50th birthday, I went to a cardiologist forscreening.

No surprise that he discovered the start of an aneurysm in my abdominal aorta. After watching it grow over twelve years via a yearly ultrasound, it required a stent which was inserted two years ago via a catheter.

Nice part is that I had been working on my smoking cessation for many years, and by the time I required surgery I was only smoking a couple of butts per day, so giving those up was more of a psychological exercise.
Fixed this, really didnt make sense.

Welcome back to the pipe and the forum. Lots of good information and advice around here. My advice: be careful with the flavored tobaccos, aromatics, they can burn very hot if over puffed. Finding your "right" tobacco takes patience and time as there are so many options out there. The good news is it is a fun journey! Enjoy your time here and your pipes!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Quick background:

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to our little place here! It sounds like you have set a fine roadmap.

The only suggestion I might offer starting out is to give the tobacco-predominant blends a full opportunity before diving headlong into heavier topped aromatics.

And be sure to tell the Mrs. that pipe smokers outlived non-smokers in the '64 Report. We're special that way.

All the best on your newfound journey. We're here to help, so feel free to ask more questions as you go.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Welcome to our little place here! It sounds like you have set a fine roadmap.

The only suggestion I might offer starting out is to give the tobacco-predominant blends a full opportunity before diving headlong into heavier topped aromatics.

And be sure to tell the Mrs. that pipe smokers outlived non-smokers in the '64 Report. We're special that way.

All the best on your newfound journey. We're here to help, so feel free to ask more questions as you go.
The most interesting aspect of this journey for me has been learning that there are questions I didn't even conceive of till after I started.
The questions get more finite as you drill down, and every answer and experience opens your eyes wider to previously unknown paths.

Update:

I'm really enjoying my $9 Missouri Meerschaum Washington, especially with my Captain Black (white pouch) codger blend.

This evening I had a nice relaxing bowl on the deck as the sun set. It think the bat that was buzzing me also enjoyed the room note.

Seriously though, the pipe performs well beyond its price point, and I love the nice mellow flavor of the tobacco. Seems to burn evenly and stay lit without overheating, and no tongue bite. Very enjoyable.

Probably way too early to say this, but I can imagine smoking this tobacco for a while. It will certainly be a staple while I sample some others.

Update:

I'm really enjoying my $9 Missouri Meerschaum Washington, especially with my Captain Black (white pouch) codger blend.

This evening I had a nice relaxing bowl on the deck as the sun set. It think the bat that was buzzing me also enjoyed the room note.

Seriously though, the pipe performs well beyond its price point, and I love the nice mellow flavor of the tobacco. Seems to burn evenly and stay lit without overheating, and no tongue bite. Very enjoyable.

Probably way too early to say this, but I can imagine smoking this tobacco for a while. It will certainly be a staple while I sample some others.
I'll be the guy that never says it on B&B... "You can stop there and never endure FOMO." :)

Or try them all. 8 Years in and I still have unopened tins that I got 8 years ago to try.

Top Bottom