What's new

The Friday Savinelli

Trying some sutliff voodoo queen in my new savinelli siena 320.

20210709_152238.jpg

Last night I packed some Half & Half mixed with Edgeworth Match into the '80s sandblasted lightly-bent Savinelli with the military mount and P-Lip stem. This morning I had no time to smoke it, so I made up for that when I got home. A good 30 minute smoke with a couple of relights is about average for this blend and this pipe.

Another example of my pipe smoking rule, No Two Smokes Are the Same: I loaded nicely dried Half & Half plus Edgeworth Match into my baby Savinelli, the sandblasted 404. It resulted in a strange smoke, in that I could not keep the pipe lit. In contrast to my smoke with the same leaf combo in this same pipe about a month ago -- 10 minutes, another match, 5-6 minutes, another. I gave up, tapped that out, put a little fresh Granger into the pipe, and kept it going for a whole 5 more minutes. Perhaps I packed the first bowl too tightly, and perhaps the Granger wasn't quite dry enough or I packed it too loosely.

Ah, well. Tomorrow is another day!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
About to go downstairs to our basement to finish the day with some LLRR in a Sav Punto Pro billiard and a diet cola. And maybe watch a Star Trek TOS episode.

Due to a scheduling conflict, the Friday Savinelli is smoked this morning. A Series III that's full of (US made) Carter Hall.
"Scheduling conflict" -- perfect wording. Actually, for some reason I did not *want* to smoke yesterday afternoon when I got home. So I loaded the Savinelli sandblast billiard with the military mount with a mix of Half & Half and Carter Hall and let it sit until this morning, Saturday. This provided a pleasant 25-minute smoke with 2 relights as I watched George Reeves as Superman -- and rescued a frog or toad. He'd gotten into the house, and if my cat had spotted him, his life expectancy would have gone down to minutes. I trapped the amphibian under a glass, slid a card under both of them, and released him outside. I hope he enjoyed the tobacco too.

Friday Savinelli! The baby 404 sandblast with the lightly curved stem, the pocket pipe, received a mix of Half & Half plus Match Field & Stream. It gave me a pleasant 20-minute smoke (it's a small-bowled pipe, remember). No tongue bite, but a little throat dryness, which went away with a solid dose of iced mineral water and some Triscuit crackers.

Friday Savinelli! The baby 404 sandblast with the lightly curved stem, the pocket pipe, received a mix of Half & Half plus Match Field & Stream. It gave me a pleasant 20-minute smoke (it's a small-bowled pipe, remember). No tongue bite, but a little throat dryness, which went away with a solid dose of iced mineral water and some Triscuit crackers.

Where's the picture?

Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices in a '70's vintage 114 KS Sherwood Rock Briar, my first "good" pipe. Here it is before a stem cleanup, it looks better these days.
proxy.php

Good looking pipe and a nice size too.
It is indeed. This afternoon I returned to it, loading some Edgeworth Match and getting a good 20-minute smoke. It's such a nice pipe that I'm considering looking for one like it in a larger size, with a canted bowl and an acrylic stem.

Friday, home early thanks to the hurricane business, and smoking a mix of Carter Hall (a pinch) and Match Field and Stream. The pipe? The larger Savinelli, the sandblast billiard with the military mount and the lightly-arched P-lip stem. Last week it occurred to me that I've had both it and my Peterson No. 307, the "Sherlock Holmes" pipe, since 1984-85, or about 36 years! They were both reliable friends in my smoking days of the Eighties and Nineties, and they still are. And the new Pipes & Cigars hard copy catalog arrived in the mail, so I've got a pleasant pre-dinner time lined up!

Back to the baby Savinelli, the sandblasted 404 nosewarmer. I've been smoking larger and longer pipes for quite a while, so the size of this one came as a surprise to me. The Half & Half lasted me about 15 minutes, but then it's a small bowl. A little pepperiness on my tongue afterward; perhaps I smoked a bit fast. Still, a wonderful aroma.

Top Bottom