What's new

The Electric razor thread

This place is pretty quiet. Does no one here shave daily or regular with an electric razor. I shaved every day for 2 years with my Remington and I got incredibly close shaves. Closer than I'm getting now with my DE and SE shaves and no irritation at all. I know they aren't popular on here but they can be great.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Proud to have thrown out both Norelco and Braun shavers.

Skin oils, dirt and bacteria from these things will give you zits. The bad shave gives you ingrown hairs/bumps.

AA

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My Norelco razor works just fine, but I rarely use it. It's for when I'm in a big hurry.

I've used a Panasonic ES-8228 Wet/Dry for a really long time now. For an electric razor, it's fantastic. 13000 RPM linear motor. It's got a self-cleaning base station with a water resivoir, detergent cartridges, and a built in blow-dryer. The battery lasted me for 20 shaves per charge, consistently throughout it's life.

Definitely a +1 for 'Lectric Shave for shaving with an electric razor, I prefered the blue to the green.
FYI though, it is an alcohol based product, so a good hydrating ASB or the like is needed afterwards (IMO/YMMV)

With the ES-8228, if I worked at it, it would give a BBS shave. A CCS in about 3 minutes.

Over the last month, I've been watching the battery on my Panasonic's battery die sadly. I've asked my dad if he wants it.

But, if I was to recommend an electric to someone interested, the Panasonic foil models are pretty bee's knees.

Braun Series 7 (or above these days), and the proprietary cleaning system they provide with the razor are, to me, first class tools for getting and maintaining a good to damn fine shave -hygenically - with out the time and water effort wet shave requires. That said, they don't last all day, and if I'm engaged later in the evening I'll be sure to spend a couple minutes shaving again. If I'm seeking congress with a significant other, it's only right to get the best possible shave, for that it's going to be a careful and complete wet shave.

I use a Panasonic wet/dry Arc 4 for shaving my head. I find that it is the only thing that gives me a smooth and relatively irritation free shave. I do use it in the shower with shaving cream though.

I use a Braun travel razor. The newer ones have slightly thicker foils and the shape is better for catching flat hairs. I also have a cheaper Philips rotary, and it shaves a little closer but isn't necessarily as comfortable. Lubricating once a week with a non-toxic firearms/knife lube seems to go a long ways to keeping the shaving comfortable.

I probably shave with an electric half the time, the rest of the time I use a Gilette Guard or Trac II, it just depends on what mood I am in. Atra or Trac II is the closest shave, but isn't necessarily as comfortable as an electric shaver.

Very Old thread. Sorry to revive it. I have the Braun series 7 and for my face it did much better than the norelco 7371 rotary. I haven't heard much good things about the new norelco's. I returned it and got the Braun. The Braun feels very smooth to touch but you can see a pretty good shadow on my face by 2 o'clock. I'm an airline pilot so carts and electric's are my only option for carry on bags. I have a EJ 89lbl for home which is great. I find that the only way I can get a very close shave is against the grain pass. I can do that with the carts but it is pretty uncomfortable. Most blades aren't sharp enough so I get a lot of tugging. Plus multiple days of doing it becomes irritating. The DE isn't a problem because it's one blade and I use feather blades and astra sp's which are very sharp.

I also found that the drastic differences in prep for the electric and DE keeps shaving from becoming to boring. DE is ritualistic and almost therapeutic, and with good cream and after shave my face feels great, but it's not something I want to be forced to do every day. I think it kind of takes the joy out of it. The electric is quick, easy prep (I just splash one some lectric shave) and the Braun "pulsonic technology" which, may or may not help get a closer shave, kind of feels like a vibrating face massage. Carts are somewhere in the middle. You still need to have a good shower and prep before shaving and it's not enjoyable for me because the discomfort. Electric shaves last about 12 hours, DE shaves last about 24 and carts last about 36 when I do an against the grain pass. So I'll sacrifice the closeness for the flexibility and comfort of the electric.

I've got a Norelco plug in only shaver in my work locker. Great for those days when I'm heading out from work directly to a social event etc. Easy & quick to use and it doesn't take up a lot of locker space. It takes care of my 5 o'clock stubble.

BTW, it seems that almost all of the electric razors sold today are rechargeable. The plug in only ones have for the most part gone the way of the dinosaurs.

I have three. The best of the lot is a Panasonic ES-RT51 wet/dry. It's a foil model, and works quite well used wet with a good cream.
I have one of these too - very good shaver which I use to touch up DE shaving in the week and for general shaving at weekends. Second Panny I've had - both have been better than any other electic I've used.

Jaym2012, I'm not sure about all the Series 7, but I know mine let me adjust three levels vibration rate. You may find that changes things a bit for you. New sensations and all. Also, if you haven't, Speick has a 'lectric shave oil too. Very nice.

Jaym2012, I'm not sure about all the Series 7, but I know mine let me adjust three levels vibration rate. You may find that changes things a bit for you. New sensations and all. Also, if you haven't, Speick has a 'lectric shave oil too. Very nice.

Yeah mine has the three settings. I almost always use the most intense setting. I'll have to try the speick pre shave. I don't mind the Williams lectric shave but the sent is a bit strong. I looked into Aramis lab series pre electric but that stuff was expensive for what it is. Williams does the job fine at a slightly smelly cost. Anybody know how long the series 7 lasts? I kind of hope it keeps on going for 5-6 years.

I have one of the predating series 8585 Braun which I gave my Pop when I got the Series 7. The Razor is now 20 years old and still works very well. I qualify that value judgement with an acknowledgement that replacing the cutter assembly every couple of years is good maintenance. But with care and regular use, the battery and electronics continue to work well. I got both with the cleaning system and use it according to the built in logic for cleaning. Oh, I guess that makes my Series 7 about 10 years old too... So, unequivocally Yes!

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread to read. I've owned a few electrics over the years--Braun, Remington, and Norelco. The foil razors never gave me a good shave on the neck (and now that I understand the direction my hairs grow, I know why it doesn't work well)--I frequently ended up with razor burn. The Norelco worked much better for me, and I still have one in the drawer but I've only used it once in the past year.

It's great that these are preferred by some members here. I read once that if we live long enough, we all end up using an electric due to sagging skin...

My Norelco razor works just fine, but I rarely use it. It's for when I'm in a big hurry.
I got a Norelco as a gift and hadn't used it at all. Just last week I broke it out and used it with the Lectric Shave that came with it. Worked OK. Easy, fast, acceptable but not great shave. For blurry hurried mornings it's a new option for me now.

Heh, I'm coming to DE after years of electrics due to time management, rotating shift work, daily crisis management, and a continuing state of deep abject fatigue. Now in my later 50s I'm learning "Mastery" of the blade using whatever face god has given me and what's left of that. /grin

Not long ago I had zero electric razors. I'd had one many years ago but hadn't seen it for some time. Then recently I received one as a gift. And today while cleaning the basement, the old one was also found. Now suddenly I have two!
$uploadfromtaptalk1459054488944.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I started on carts in my teens in the early 80s, then moved to an electric as a young man and stayed there for a long time. Started with the foil type, then switched to the rotary which gave a much closer shave for me. But after getting tired of ingrown hairs and all the pulling when I let it go too long, I took up Wet Shaving and haven't looked back. I will probably never use an electric ever again.

Top Bottom