What's new

The Dreaded Derby Extra Blade

20180202_170057-jpg.857506

In December 2013 after 6 years of shaving with electric razors, I decided to give DE a try. After watching some Youtube videos and getting some recommendations from this forum I felt ready. I picked up a Van der Hagen boar brush with deluxe soap, fruit bowl for lathering, styptic pencil, Gillette black handle Superspeed and a sampler pack of DE blades. The sample pack included a couple types of Personnas, Lord, Supermax and of course Derby Extras.

For my first shave I ignored advice to shave after showering since I never had in the past. I loaded my Gillette with a Derby Extra since I was told this was the best beginner blade. Soaked the brush while holding a warm washcloth to my face for a few minutes. Bowl lathered the soap which ended up being pretty thin due to my inexperience, brushed it on and got ready to do 1 WTG pass with an XTG pass on my cheeks.

Then I proceeded to have the worst shave of my life. Ended up with a several nicks on my upper neck, razor burn on my lower and a few nicks on my chin. The next shave went a little better and I tossed the Derby. After that I never used that brand again. I feared Derbys as much as some fear Feather blades. Many reviews of them are bad and one B&B member commented that "they couldn't cut a fart." And I couldn't understand why so many razors are sold with a pack of these blades.

So I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 and it came with a pack of Derby Extras. My first few shaves went well using a Personna blade and this morning I decided to give the Derby a try on a day's growth. The shave was surprisingly good. The blade was comfortable and the end result was the same I get with my favorite blades. I did have one nick on my chin due to a little carelessness, but no irritation or razor burn.

I'm going to see how long the blade lasts and if it works well in other razors.

Derbys are OK blades. When I first joined this forum many moons ago, they were flavour of the month!

Gareth

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think the Derby Greens are perfectly adequate blades. Not that long lived, but I don't expect them to be at budget prices. I don't think I've ever failed to get a good shave with one, unless the blade had been taken beyond it's working life. I'd probably expect to get a humble 10 to 12 shaves from one without any drama, and while ever I get great shaves for less than a penny a time, the brand is quite welcome to stay in my array.

I have never had a problem with Derbys, they used to be my main blade. They are not my main blade anymore, as I can only get them online and prefer to shop locally. If I found a local supplier of Derbys then I would happily use them again.

@nelsonic21, I can relate. Probably wouldn't have mattered which blade you used for your first DE shave, still would have been the worst shave!! But when you've mastered('ish) a good technique, the blades seem to magically become decent blades!!

I did the same when I got my EJ DE 89, I had also ordered Astra SP and started using them after several tries with the Derby's and sworn I would never purchase them again (although it came with the razor). Just recently won a PIF that came with some Derby's and decided what the heck I'll give them a whirl again and sure enough I was very pleased with the results.

20180202_170057-jpg.857506

In December 2013 after 6 years of shaving with electric razors, I decided to give DE a try. After watching some Youtube videos and getting some recommendations from this forum I felt ready. I picked up a Van der Hagen boar brush with deluxe soap, fruit bowl for lathering, styptic pencil, Gillette black handle Superspeed and a sampler pack of DE blades. The sample pack included a couple types of Personnas, Lord, Supermax and of course Derby Extras.

For my first shave I ignored advice to shave after showering since I never had in the past. I loaded my Gillette with a Derby Extra since I was told this was the best beginner blade. Soaked the brush while holding a warm washcloth to my face for a few minutes. Bowl lathered the soap which ended up being pretty thin due to my inexperience, brushed it on and got ready to do 1 WTG pass with an XTG pass on my cheeks.

Then I proceeded to have the worst shave of my life. Ended up with a several nicks on my upper neck, razor burn on my lower and a few nicks on my chin. The next shave went a little better and I tossed the Derby. After that I never used that brand again. I feared Derbys as much as some fear Feather blades. Many reviews of them are bad and one B&B member commented that "they couldn't cut a fart." And I couldn't understand why so many razors are sold with a pack of these blades.

So I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 and it came with a pack of Derby Extras. My first few shaves went well using a Personna blade and this morning I decided to give the Derby a try on a day's growth. The shave was surprisingly good. The blade was comfortable and the end result was the same I get with my favorite blades. I did have one nick on my chin due to a little carelessness, but no irritation or razor burn.

I'm going to see how long the blade lasts and if it works well in other razors.

The Derby Extras are decent blades but the unfortunate thing is that people tend to identify them as the ONLY Derby blade. They make others, including "Bluebird" and "Lion" which I feel are superior blades.

I like Derby ... but you have to pair them with the right razor and the right beard conditions.
For me, They work best with a mild razor (Tech, 34C, EJ89, etc.) and 1-day worth of whiskers.

Derby has gone through a lot of changes since I first started using them.
First there were the "Horizontal" Derby, then the "Vertical" Derby (that's what you have)
and now there are Derby Premiums.

Out of these, the Horizontals gave the best shave and the most consistent performance.
I wish I had stocked up on these when I could, but in the meantime, the others work pretty well for me.

IMHO blades are the most YMMV aspect of DE shaving.

For me Derbys are middle of the road blades. There are many better options for me, but I can see where others may really like them. Bottom line is that you need to form your own opinions based on personal experience!

Old Derbs were like shaving with bottle caps. The Orange label like they sell at Sally. I ordered a hun of the Green label 2 years ago. In most of my razors I get decent shaves. They last two shaves for me. Lately I am on a Gillette 7OC kick and find the Russian yellows are mighty fine blades. What works for one may not for another applies. I stayed with the Derbs when I restarted DE shaving and when I regained my skills, I got RAD BAD SAD quickly. Razor acquisition Disorder, Blade Aquisition Disorder, Soap Aquisition Disorder and why not add in ASAD Aftershave Aquisition Disorder and BRAD Brush Aquisition Disorder. Not a horrible affliction mind you. Unless you are the Mrs.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
If memory serves, my R41 (c. 2012) came kitted with a Derby Extra. Absolutely godawful shave--like massaging gravel into my face. Recently, though, I picked up some Derby Premiums; these are an entirely different breed of blade. Smooth, sharp and now in my regular rotation.

The YMMV mantra rears its head again.

Derby blades work for some, not all. They are one of my regular blades, never had any issues with them.

I've given Derby Extras many chances. They're just not sharp enough to get through the wiry hairs on my chin.

I decided to give the Derby a try on a day's growth. The shave was surprisingly good. The blade was comfortable and the end result was the same I get with my favorite blades.
You have proved yet again that improved technique leads to better results. It is not the sharpest blade but gets there at the end of the shave for me. The post 2016 blades are much improved and the Premiums even better I hear.
First there were the "Horizontal" Derby, then the "Vertical" Derby
The other way round I believe.
Derby Extra.JPG

It seems everyone likes to dump on Derby, but I think they are a fine blade. But then again, I haven't met a blade yet that didn't give me a great shave...except Merkur blades. Technique is more important to getting a good shave than choice of blade.

Old Derby blade thickness was 0.100 & were tuggy. The new 2017 production are 0.090 & are very smooth compared to the older blades.

Here's the data that backs up what @fast shaver said about the difference between the old and the new blades:

Comprehensive Double-Edge (DE) Razor Blade Data Table

Even though the picture in the OP looks like the old green box, that doesn't mean that the blades are the old ones. There was a transition period in which newer blades were packaged in the older green boxes, or similar boxes with slightly lighter green labels, as I found. @nelsonic21 might have more recently used the newer, thinner, apparently better Derby Extra blades, which would help explain the more favorable reaction this time. Of course, maybe it was simply having gained more experience over time and/or using more suitable equipment that led to the more favorable reaction.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Derby Extra are one of my top 3 blades, in all my razors. If I could only have one blade to use in all my razors Derby Extra would be it, but Polsilver is slowly winning that.

Its a great blade in both my NEW SC and my Fatip Grande, and was very good in my Brit Rocket. They need a rigid design to get the most from them, but in the right razor they work very well.

I've even used them first pass buffing ATG in my Fatip without issue.

Its been my first choice for blades starting with a new razor and was in my Fatip as well.

I started right side mid ear at the base of my side burn and as soon as the razor moved, I knew. That single stroke went right to the bottom of my neck as did all other strokes as I worked my way across my face.

Effortless full length strokes.

I have nearly 300 of them, all are the older pre 2016 blades. :)

Derby Extra - YOUR OPINION?

My technique has progressed a lot since last May.

I received a complementary pack of 5 derby blades with purchase of razorock
In my opinion rubbish blade, some might call them smooth I call them dull.

I tried Derbys that came in my sampler pack when I first started DE shaving 2 years ago.

Using an EJ DE89, I found they were OK to use with 1-2 days worth of growth, however if I left my shave any longer, they simply would not work on my beard, so I haven't used them since.

Interested in giving the Derby Premiums in the black pack a whirl however.

Top Bottom