What's new

The Dreaded Derby Extra Blade

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So....I went to change it out into something rigid with a touch more exposure.
Turns out it was a Treet Black Beauty, five shaves in.
I dunked it in alcohol to stave off the rust, and I'll try it tomorrow in a Merkur Bakelite.
I guess my Derby Extra review will be a bit delayed..

A Tech is the only razor I havent actually tried a Derby Extra in. Now that I have another Tech, I'll get around to it, if my Old Type lust fades anyway haha.

A Tech is the only razor I havent actually tried a Derby Extra in. Now that I have another Tech, I'll get around to it, if my Old Type lust fades anyway haha.
It will certainly challenge your angle of attack.
I do think once I'm done with the Merkur for a while, it'll be a prewar Tech.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It will certainly challenge your angle of attack.
I do think once I'm done with the Merkur for a while, it'll be a prewar Tech.

I'm in the midst of a heated love affair with a 1917 Single Ring at the moment lol. A fresh Feather loaded in it for tomorrow.

I find them to be OK and not as terrible as some say. Works great in a Super Speed, Slim and my 34C. They don't last a week but the price is right. Voskhod may be a good one to try. I like them too. The fun is trying every blade made. When you find one you like and the bulb goes off in your head, you found it.

I shaved with Derby Extra blades when I first started wet shaving. I had 100 so I have given them a dozen tries over the years. Each time I hated the experience.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new razor. It came with Derby blades in a blue package, 10 to a tuck. This was a completely great experience. I want more.

The blade was thinner and so much sharper than the green ones.

I want to purchase more Derby's but I don't want to receive the old ones. I can get 100 green ones cheaper than 100 blue packaged blades.

If I purchase the green ones, how can I make certain that I am buying the new blade and not the old ones??

I shaved with Derby Extra blades when I first started wet shaving. I had 100 so I have given them a dozen tries over the years. Each time I hated the experience.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new razor. It came with Derby blades in a blue package, 10 to a tuck. This was a completely great experience. I want more.

The blade was thinner and so much sharper than the green ones.

I want to purchase more Derby's but I don't want to receive the old ones. I can get 100 green ones cheaper than 100 blue packaged blades.

If I purchase the green ones, how can I make certain that I am buying the new blade and not the old ones??

You may have the new Usta blades. Word on the street is that these are produced with a new honing machine, thus are much different than the old blades, including the Premiums. From what I gather on here (B&B) the only place you can get them online so far is from a 'bay seller from Turkey.

Derby Extra is the only blade that never fails to disappoint. I’ve tried ten times or more to give them a chance. The last time I got a bad tuggy first pass and had to stop during the second shave on the blade. The final insult with Derby’s will be the shipping cost to give these dreadful blades away. RIP!!!!!

It will be interesting to see the cost of the old stock change as the new USTA blades replaces them. My guess is there is enough old stock in the supply chain for decades. The price I paid for Derby Extra was $11.00/200. I expect the old Derby Extra prices to fall to $1.00/100. The company should buy back old stock and scrap to protect the brand name. Not a chance of this ever happening.

Last edited:
Is there an concise history of Derby blades? I used Derby blades 10+ years ago and found them to shave well; maybe not the absolute best but certainly capable of providing comfortable shades. A very good value. Since then I have noticed these different varieties:
  1. Derby Extra - green pack horizontal (the ones I bought long ago) - maybe no longer in production?
  2. Derby Extra - green pack vertical (supposedly the same as the horizontal labeled version and introduced ~ 10 years ago?)
  3. Derby Premium - black pack
  4. Derby USTA - green pack
  5. Derby Extra - blue pack
Are the blues really any different than the greens? Is the Premium or USTA better or just different?

This may help;
Derby Extra.JPG

Derbys are OK blades. When I first joined this forum many moons ago, they were flavour of the month!

Gareth

When I started DE shaving, much of the talk centered around razor / blade combos and the general favorite was Merkur and Derby, especially for beginners, so that's what I started with. I get good results with Derby.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have around 25 Derby Extra (Green) in my blade box, and every one I've used so far has give great shaves. A good friend of mine who is a member here, but doesn't post often, is currently using Derby. We spoke on the phone yesterday, and I mentioned that they get a lot of flak on here. He's getting great shaves with them too. There's other folks on here that get great results from them too.

While not all blades suit all beards or razors, and I don't doubt that some folks might be disappointed by them, I don’t think they fully deserve the panning they get. That said, I'm just as guilty as talking down blades that haven't worked well for me too.

Derby Premium are one of my favourites, and I'm currently using one in a Dovo shavette for One Blade in Feb. I have around 25-30 whole blades of those, and around 20 saloon blades. I haven't tried the blues or the new USTA/Master blades.

Derby Extra really don't work for me but Derby Premium do, so much so that I recently bought 200. They can vary from blade to blade but generally are a good sharp solid shave, especially in my Fatip Piccolo.

I really enjoy using Derby Premium so much better than the Derby Extra, and The Derby Usta is even more impressive for me they provide an even smoother shave than the Premium so much so I’ve now added 500 to my shave den, and I’ve already got 700 Premium in there. So that’s me sorted for a good few years

I have a pack of Derby Premium blades and they have given me great shaves - close, smooth and comfortable. But that's me so YMMV.
I've used them in a Super Speed, Rockwell 2C, New Longcomb and a Tech and they all gave nice shaves with the Premiums.
Have not tried other Derbys though.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

So I have one pack of Green Derby's on the left that came with my Razorock DE1, haven't used.
And 5 packs of the blue ones on the right. Used one in my Chieftain was my worst shave ever.
OK, I am very new to DE and quickly moved from the Chieftain to a Feather Popular with Hi Stainless blades, much better. Now using the RR DE1 with Astra SP really comfortable.
Should I toss all the Derby's or maybe revisit when I get more experience?? They were terrible.
Doug
20190301_215517.jpg

Should I toss all the Derby's or maybe revisit when I get more experience??
Come back to them in a few months. The ones on the right are the post 2016 batch and should be sharper. Also those palstic boxes make great blade banks and hold at least 50 used blades.

Top Bottom