What's new

The Dreaded Derby Extra Blade

It's funny, my previous comment here was a comment disparaging Derby blades for being dull and pulling on my beard. Well, today I shaved with a Derby Usta (which provide me with tuggy shaves) in my Fatip Grande and I got a really good shave. I mean, it did pull on my mustache hairs a little, but it managed to mow everything down. I got a close shave with zero irritation. Maybe finding the ideal razor combination is the key to making the blade shine. I got rough shaves with Derby in my PAA Open Comb Slant.

I only have the old ones.
9489F8B4-8708-4C16-B28B-23B6FD230105.jpeg

Old Derby blade thickness was 0.100 & were tuggy. The new 2017 production are 0.090 & are very smooth compared to the older blades.
I have 180 of the old (writing going short ways on the pack) and never liked them.
I've been away from the forums for a while and just found out about the change.
I'm reading it was when they retooled for the newer premium line of blades they changed the extra as well.
Had trouble knowing if they were old or new shopping on the net.
One thing I did find is that the blue packs (10 packs) that usually come in 200 packs weren't around before the change, only green.
So if you're looking to get the new blades and know they aren't old stock, I went with the blue packs. Unless you can see the actual packs you're buying and that the writing goes long ways on the packs. Couldn't get straight answers from any sellers on the bay if the greens they were selling are old or new so I figured getting the blue 10packs was my best bet
I also grabbed the premium and found the "USTA" (master blades) and grabbed 100 of those.
Now to find out who wants my 180ish old style Derby's haha

I'm up to 12 shaves on a Derby Extra, a record for me. Still pull more than I like, even in a slant, but give me really close and blood free shaves, so I'll persevere and see how long it lasts. I can put up with the drag for the nice results.

Derby Extra are too tuggy for me in my DE (mild Merkur open-comb) but so far have been my first choice for a shavette.

Everything feels sharp in a shavette ;)

I used a Derby Extra today for the first time since I began wet shaving. I have been trying to find the perfect razor for my skin type and have come to find that minimal blade gap and rigid blade clamping result in the least irritation. Today I shaved a new-to-me Gillette old type and decided to pair it with a Derby blade.

I have been using a New SC, post war Tech and the old type Gillette in a rotation and have found that the old type is surprisingly the smoothest of the bunch. The Derby blade offered up a great shave in this aggressive razor and the result was no alum feedback and no AS burn. NONE. This is the polar opposite of the mild razor sharp blade combo I had been using and frankly the results were great. The Derby blade performed exactly as it was intended - a mild and smooth blade with enough sharpness to cut hair but not irritate skin.

For me the only "usable" Derby blades are USTA....rest maybe in a shavette to line a beard?-though a 4 times used Gillette is better for this, too.

I may have to try that combination. I have several Old Types, just need to fix the corners on the cap so they clamp the blade down properly.

I suspect Gillette got it right the first time on razors....

Blades are always a compromise between sharpness and smoothness. Feather is at the extreme side of sharp over smooth; Derby, smooth over sharp. For me, the Lord Plat is the perfect compromise

I can get a shave out of a Derby blade just fine, and I have a few packs. The only reason I don't burn through them is because they are the only blade where I had an issue with cutting myself with the blade overhang. I've never cut myself with the blade overhang with any other blade, and I've used a ton. They have attributed to my worst cuts shaving.

Read USTA blades are no different than the Derby Extra, has anyone measured them to see if they are different?

Read USTA blades are no different than the Derby Extra, has anyone measured them to see if they are different?
That I'm not sure.
I know in turkey they sell both. I've heard of different names/branding for other countries. But never in same country as manufactured.
But then again I'm no blades expert.

Top Bottom