What's new

The Dreaded Derby Extra Blade

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Come back to them in a few months. The ones on the right are the post 2016 batch and should be sharper. Also those palstic boxes make great blade banks and hold at least 50 used blades.
+1
Cool, I got 50 of the blue ones for $4.36

So I have one pack of Green Derby's on the left that came with my Razorock DE1, haven't used.
And 5 packs of the blue ones on the right. Used one in my Chieftain was my worst shave ever.
OK, I am very new to DE and quickly moved from the Chieftain to a Feather Popular with Hi Stainless blades, much better. Now using the RR DE1 with Astra SP really comfortable.
Should I toss all the Derby's or maybe revisit when I get more experience?? They were terrible.
Doug
View attachment 958106
I've come back 5-6 times trying to get the Green Derby's to work. Only once did I stumble across a Derby blade that preformed correctly. I would just sit on them. Maybe a trade will come up. I plan to offer mine for a chunk of Cella off a kilo block. The problem is Derby's aren't worth the cost of shipping.

I revisited a Derby Extra in the last couple weeks as a result of this thread resurfacing. Still a horrible experience. But I followed it up with a Derby Premium for the first time... Night and day difference. Excellent, sharp and smooth!

I'm rocking the Concords, Derby Premiums, and have a pack of Usta on the way.

I've tried the Lions and the Extras and just did not like them.

Last edited:
I'm rocking the Concords, Derby Premiums, and have a pack of Usta on the way.

I've tried the Lions and the Extras and just did not like them.
Please let us know how the USTA's work out for you. The Derby life is getting to be a long run drama. I hope that they can have some success with their new products.

Yeah thought I’d raise this thread again. It’s true that these blades aren’t the sharpest and there’s a wide range of opinions on them. Understandably. I’ve been a critic of them... they’ve shaved dull for me. Not my favorite blade... BUT I’ve found a couple old unused ones in my blade drawer and what the heck I think I’ll do a test run with one It has been a while since last use of one! . I’ll pay careful attention to their performance and see how many shaves I can get from it. For me getting four decent shaves from a blade on the econo side of the price range is a blade I could live with if I had to. Just a little experiment for my amusement!

I’ve loaded it into my ‘62 Ball End Tech and will use Cella as my soap....
And I shave every other day.

Razorhead

Tried a Derby Extra today for the first time in well over a year. I must say it gave a excellent shave. Sure, it is not as sharp as many other, but still no problem to mowe down my 3-4 days of growth.
Actually planning to buy a couple of hundred of them.
Can't understand why so many hate them and find them unusable...

20180202_170057-jpg.857506

In December 2013 after 6 years of shaving with electric razors, I decided to give DE a try. After watching some Youtube videos and getting some recommendations from this forum I felt ready. I picked up a Van der Hagen boar brush with deluxe soap, fruit bowl for lathering, styptic pencil, Gillette black handle Superspeed and a sampler pack of DE blades. The sample pack included a couple types of Personnas, Lord, Supermax and of course Derby Extras.

For my first shave I ignored advice to shave after showering since I never had in the past. I loaded my Gillette with a Derby Extra since I was told this was the best beginner blade. Soaked the brush while holding a warm washcloth to my face for a few minutes. Bowl lathered the soap which ended up being pretty thin due to my inexperience, brushed it on and got ready to do 1 WTG pass with an XTG pass on my cheeks.

Then I proceeded to have the worst shave of my life. Ended up with a several nicks on my upper neck, razor burn on my lower and a few nicks on my chin. The next shave went a little better and I tossed the Derby. After that I never used that brand again. I feared Derbys as much as some fear Feather blades. Many reviews of them are bad and one B&B member commented that "they couldn't cut a fart." And I couldn't understand why so many razors are sold with a pack of these blades.

So I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 and it came with a pack of Derby Extras. My first few shaves went well using a Personna blade and this morning I decided to give the Derby a try on a day's growth. The shave was surprisingly good. The blade was comfortable and the end result was the same I get with my favorite blades. I did have one nick on my chin due to a little carelessness, but no irritation or razor burn.

I'm going to see how long the blade lasts and if it works well in other razors.
You simply cannot judge how good a blade is as a beginner.

You just can't. A beginner shaver cannot judge his equipment when he himself hasn't mastered the correct technic.

The derby extra was the first foreign blade i used after de shaving, the first blade i used being the locally made lion blades from South Africa, and i liked the derbys, but they werent amazing. Since then, ive gone onto use lots of different blades including feathers which are my favourite and went back to try a derby this month. So far, ive gotten 12 BBS shaves by riding the top cap, and im fairly confident I'll get over 15!

Its true that they arent the sharpest, but boy are they smooth, and if you have the right technic, chances are that you can make almost any blade work very well indeed. I'll definitely be picking up a 100 pack of these eventually.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Tried a Derby Extra today for the first time in well over a year. I must say it gave a excellent shave. Sure, it is not as sharp as many other, but still no problem to mowe down my 3-4 days of growth.
Actually planning to buy a couple of hundred of them.
Can't understand why so many hate them and find them unusable...
I completely agree, theyre one of the best value for money blades out there.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

It's just personal preference. I use the regular Derby Professional half blades in my Shavette very regularly, and love the Derby Premium in my semi slant DE. At the end of the day if a blade doesn't work for you it doesn't work. I tend to find the unpopular blades work better for me personally than some of the higher rated ones.

Interesting.
It is interesting
The Turkish barber I go to for my monthly hot towel shave treat uses Shark SS half blades. I use the Derby Professional half blades in my Shavettes extensively. I will have to give the perma sharp a go. There dirt cheap too

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Perma-Sharp Super DE blade is a great blade. Very sharp and very smooth, they also last a long time for me. I had 22 or 24 shaves on one when I lost count.

I seem to have to shave daily to get workable shaves from Derby blades. If I wait any longer than a day, my hair will be long enough to feel the blade pulling.

Top Bottom