What's new

The Daily Double

1631C5D9-E549-4AAF-9BB0-8F6B7392A572.jpeg
Salamander circa 1920, Gillette New Standard late ‘20’s

Very nice combo @Twelvefret is that Gillette what they call a flat bottom?
we just need to direct people here occasionally and hopefully we can keep this thread going.
So, it has a flat bottom, but not raised on the top side. IOW, it’s not a much sought after RFB. I have a RFB in a chrome case that’s referred to as a #88.

This one came in a case with the script New Standard.

Last edited:
I found that if Im on a newish PTFE blade and over 3 days growth, a MMOC and Tech are a nice combo. The MMOC to do the heavy lifting on the first pass and the Tech to clean up on the second pass. I could substitute in my Mamba (for the Tech) but I usually reach for the Tech in such situations.

I found that if Im on a newish PTFE blade and over 3 days growth, a MMOC and Tech are a nice combo. The MMOC to do the heavy lifting on the first pass and the Tech to clean up on the second pass. I could substitute in my Mamba (for the Tech) but I usually reach for the Tech in such situations.

Prefect strategy.:)

What does it take to get shaved these days?

Lather up some Cella with a cheap (and awesome) Omega.
Mow em down with the Schick L1 injector north or south towards the beard line.
Clean it up with the German 37 ‘paired with’ a custom Russian Ti handle, perfect balance, away from the beard line. Plus a quick ATG swipe to improve neck whorl whisker clearance.
Alum and homebrew HazelHopHusker AS

B1FEFA99-552C-410E-AF58-8CE1C37ED46B.jpeg

A fast/fine, but elaborate DFS. Got things to do today.

What does it take to get shaved these days?

Lather up some Cella with a cheap (and awesome) Omega.
Mow em down with the Schick L1 injector north or south towards the beard line.
Clean it up with the German 37 ‘paired with’ a custom Russian Ti handle, perfect balance, away from the beard line. Plus a quick ATG swipe to improve neck whorl whisker clearance.
Alum and homebrew HazelHopHusker AS

View attachment 975398
A fast/fine, but elaborate DFS. Got things to do today.

Wow, great write up and daily double.:a14:

I've heard the ones that twist the blade can be pretty hard on the blade and can make them not last as long. The alpha would negate that problem.

I've heard the ones that twist the blade can be pretty hard on the blade and can make them not last as long. The alpha would negate that problem.

I've used blades in the PAA BOCS then transferred them to other DE with no issues. The most dangerous part is when you hold the head while twisting the handle. If you head hand slips you cut your fingers off...…..

I've used blades in the PAA BOCS then transferred them to other DE with no issues. The most dangerous part is when you hold the head while twisting the handle. If you head hand slips you cut your fingers off...…..

Sounds like fun.

Just replaced my AE. I need it for vacation. I love Bakelite BTW. Best plastic ever!!!

I thought that would make a good travel razor since you don't have to worry about corrosion. Are the Alphas aggressive or just efficient? As in do the feel at all harsh.

Nice setup @Tanuki. I have not tried a slant razor yet, I think I need to.

Always happy to enable! :001_302: There’s a slant in today’s Double as well.

Today
Prep: hot rag plus letting the lather soak in for a minute+
Mower: Ever-Ready 1912
Final cut: iKon X1 head/G&F short stainless handle (iKon honkin’ huge OSS handle shown for comparison. I really like the grip on both these handles, but the no-frills smaller handle balances so much better for me.)
Lube: Lathered up some orange RR What the Puck with a micro-dab of cooling menthol Cremo for that uber/mint touch

The steel:
CB35F6FD-322E-4982-9A0F-F1C1409A9B35.jpeg

I can’t really detect the differential in the two sides of the X1 head in a daily shave. This is the more useful of my two iKon slant heads. Any DE blade will do. The needlepoint iKon slant demands a Kai in my experience.
Result: Swift, effective DFS. No complaints from the alum.

Still have my fingers, but I know what you mean! The crunchy sound produced when I twist my PBOCS closed has always encouraged me to leave the blade fully tightened down until I am ready to deposit it in the blade bank. The PBOCS imparts plenty of twist AND plenty of bend to the blade. The PAA Ascension has the bend without the twist. To me, the ATT S2 has the twist with minimal bend. And they all shave well. Go figure...

Last edited:
@Tanuki and I are on similar wave lengths today.

My daily double also included an
Ever-ready and a DE although mine was the shovel head and the DE was a Gillette Tech.

Hot shower and Noxzema prices have
Ever-ready shovel o baklite baton
with Gem ptfe 8th flip
Gillette tech with super iridium 4th flip
Dragons blood on two band badger.
Witch hazel splash and Proraso white aftershave cream. Very CCS.

20190426_152418.jpg

Still have my fingers, but I know what you mean! The crunchy sound produced when I twist my PBOCS closed has always encouraged me to leave the blade fully tightened down until I am ready to deposit it in the blade bank. The PBOCS imparts plenty of twist AND plenty of bend to the blade. The PAA Ascension has the bend without the twist. To me, the ATT S2 has the twist with minimal bend. And they all shave well. Go figure...

Ha ha… glad you survived. At $19, the Bakelite Slants, both models, are hard to ignore. It's cool the owner of PAA found a maker to reproduce these creations of vintage razors.

Top Bottom