What's new

The Daily Double

Ha ha… glad you survived. At $19, the Bakelite Slants, both models, are hard to ignore. It's cool the owner of PAA found a maker to reproduce these creations of vintage razors.

I'm after one more (to me a bit pricey) antique razor that I really want. After I find that I will probably pick up a few inexpensive vintage and a few new inexpensive razors. A double open comb is on the new inexpensive list right next to the alpha elliptic. A gem push button is on the vintage inexpensive list.

Today's DD is with a Fremont, Ohio made Demascara 5/8 straight and a 103 year old Gillette Single Ring/Astra SP blade.

I did an ATG neck and whole face WTG with the SR followed by a WTG all over with the Single Ring. Not much left for the Astra since the SR turned the lather black with hair from each wipe on the sponge I use.

I lathered the VDH Luxury with the PAA Atomic Rocket to my preferred hydration point.

DD.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm calling this my Butch & Sundance Shave

This is the second time in a row I've used this dynamic duo (but first time posting a shave). Butch is an open comb Burham that I discovered works exceedingly well with an intact GEM blade (specifically a SS PTFE); and Sundance (Schick Type E3) is the ultimate finisher. Both couldn't be more different in terms of blade feel and angle, but they are both superbly efficient cutters. You could absolutely be successful with just a Butch or a Sundance, but together they make a legendary duo. This was definitely my shave of the week -- very close and very comfortable!!!

Soap today was Geo F Trumper's Lime cream -- never tried the GFT soap (have heard unflattering things from some in other parts of the world), but the cream is fantastic -- both the performance and scent!!! And no shave is complete (at least in my den) without a splash of Krampert's Finest, which today was Frostbite. Brush is a Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Synth.

And always remember that if you're about to jump off a cliff into a river and you're worried about drowning, don't sweat it -- the fall will probably kill you!!! Absolutely love that scene from the movie!!!
IMG_1710.jpg

This is the second time in a row I've used this dynamic duo (but first time posting a shave). Butch is an open comb Burham that I discovered works exceedingly well with an intact GEM blade (specifically a SS PTFE); and Sundance (Schick Type E3) is the ultimate finisher. Both couldn't be more different in terms of blade feel and angle, but they are both superbly efficient cutters. You could absolutely be successful with just a Butch or a Sundance, but together they make a legendary duo. This was definitely my shave of the week -- very close and very comfortable!!!

Soap today was Geo F Trumper's Lime cream -- never tried the GFT soap (have heard unflattering things from some in other parts of the world), but the cream is fantastic -- both the performance and scent!!! And no shave is complete (at least in my den) without a splash of Krampert's Finest, which today was Frostbite. Brush is a Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Synth.

And always remember that if you're about to jump off a cliff into a river and you're worried about drowning, don't sweat it -- the fall will probably kill you!!! Absolutely love that scene from the movie!!!
View attachment 975920

The Burham is so minimalist!! I love it. Very clean and to the point.

I agree with you about the Schick being the "ultimate finisher". When you consider these were introduced during a time Gillette was showing off their new TTO mechanisms and NEW series razors, it took some courage to go in a different direction and ultimately produce a design that was better than anything the big boys were offering.

Thanks for your participation. Micromatic Monday approaches.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've been reading through this thread and you guys have been having some great shaves and showcasing some excellent equipment!!! It's time I joined in on the fun. I've got a few eclectic things -- sort of like the Burham -- that I've been picking up and need to put blade in and give it a go!!!

Today's DD is with a Fremont, Ohio made Demascara 5/8 straight and a 103 year old Gillette Single Ring/Astra SP blade.

I did an ATG neck and whole face WTG with the SR followed by a WTG all over with the Single Ring. Not much left for the Astra since the SR turned the lather black with hair from each wipe on the sponge I use.

I lathered the VDH Luxury with the PAA Atomic Rocket to my preferred hydration point.

View attachment 975909

View attachment 975920

Great setups guys. Always love seeing what combos others are using. Glad you are joining in @Flintstone65.

DD Seasons Change

Skiing season is sadly drawing to a close. Less snow, even at the top of the volcano. More sunshine, warmth. Fortunately, shaving season never ends, or at least, when it does, I won’t be putting up any whiny posts!

Had to get to the mountain early, shaved on return. This is the equipment schedule:
Semogue 1250 lathering Col. Conk’s familiar amber
Schick L1 for pass 1 (I see Fred likes an injector for the finale)
PBOCS in the stylish shade of oxblood exposing a bounty of blade for an efficient (and careful) pass 2

17FA2EA3-8D60-4308-8058-0AB7EFA8BACE.jpeg

Had to shave fast, the chicken needed to stop roosting on the rotisserie. That PBOCS is a fast shaver if you’ve got the touch (and still have your fingers, @Twelvefret). May Ullr be with you!

View attachment 975909

Rivers, I keep seeing rivers...

My contribution includes a 103 year old J.R. Torrey Our 136 and a reproduction humpback Bakelite PAA Alpha Ecliptic.
torrey.jpg

Very cool. That's a beautiful straight razor. Do you find them that clean or are they restored.
This one required only 2500 grit wet SP and Mothers. I’ve found all kinds of conditions.

I do tend to look for weeks and months for one that I want. The condition and price have to be just right.

Last edited:
I need to get to cleaning my recently acquired W&B. One of the guys suggested a cotton ball and toothpaste with a light touch to give the etching the best chance of survival.

I need to get to cleaning my recently acquired W&B. One of the guys suggested a cotton ball and toothpaste with a light touch to give the etching the best chance of survival.

IMHO, the etchings survive best be not being touched. Yours is a rare bird. Very original.:a14:

Top Bottom