What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

There was a gorgeous set in France, looked virtually NIB, sold tonight for about $100, before shipping. Out of my budget, but worth looking at the lovely pics on*Bay.

Guess I got carried away. They do shave nicely.
Mike B
$P1070001.jpg

Been using the 1912, 1924. and the 1914 the past few weeks and been getting the feel of each one. Tonight, however was interesting in that the "14" which has been my favorite, just didn't feel right and uncharacteristically it rendered a couple of good weepers in the first few strokes. What the heck? Just out of the shower, late at night, no puffy face, tons of P160 (original formula) lather on well warmed soaked whiskers and I see blood.

STREAMLINE time. The rest of the shave with my shiny British buddy was perfect. Slapped on some Purple Lilac with a faint tingle finish. Man does that stuff smell good!

"The Streamer, The right tool for a perfect Shave."
$IMG_0953.jpg

Just acquired this metal box Streamline set:
proxy.php

proxy.php

It's got a red lining rather than the purple I've seen in similar sets.

So how does the metal box set fit into the timeline with the white clamshell sets? Were they sold at different times or at different price points?
This is probably the razor Flash Gordon used (and Ming The Merciless used a New Improved)...

Last edited:
Hi,
Not too sure that this Streamline is in the correct case. In another forum it was thought that polished case actually belonged to a Set,called
the " Brilliant ". I have a number of Streamlines, one being in a metal case [with machined top], and purple lining.
I have unearthed a Brilliant 1912 set, which is housed in polished box with a red lining. A streamline does fit in it though.$P1100001.jpg$P1100002.jpg$P1100003.jpg$P1100004.jpg

Hi,
Not too sure that this Streamline is in the correct case. In another forum it was thought that polished case actually belonged to a Set,called
the " Brilliant ". I have a number of Streamlines, one being in a metal case [with machined top], and purple lining.
I have unearthed a Brilliant 1912 set, which is housed in polished box with a red lining. A streamline does fit in it though.View attachment 589113View attachment 589114View attachment 589115View attachment 589116
Great stuff! That is definitely the red lined case that I have so "Brilliant" it is!
And I'm still shockingly pleased with this set... when was the "Brilliant" around? Is that '30s or '50s?

And here's the other razor that came with the Streamline, making up the Brilliant set:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Great stuff! That is definitely the red lined case that I have so "Brilliant" it is!
And I'm still shockingly pleased with this set... when was the "Brilliant" around? Is that '30s or '50s?

And here's the other razor that came with the Streamline, making up the Brilliant set:
proxy.php
Not Sure, maybe Paul will Know. Will have to get a copy of Waits { suitable Birthday Present from SWMBO ? }

Two Sets Side By Side.
On Left - Ambassador/Streamline in Larger case- with machined pattern on lid -purple lining.
On Right- ER 1912 "Brilliant Special " set, in smaller polished case, with red lining.
Would appear Marcus scored a Loan Streamline, and a 1912 " Brilliant Special " set. LuckyMan

.$P1110001.jpg$P1110003.jpg

So riddle me this - what set does the other box that came with this haul belong to?
Basket weave case with purple lining:
proxy.php

proxy.php

When it arrived, the Streamline handle was in the Brilliant case with the 1912 head on it, and the 1912 handle was in the basket weave case with the Streamline head on it.
Imagine my delight when I swapped the handles :)

Last edited:
Latest find, the Gem New Chrome Strop Outfit.

We've seen the Ever-Ready version of the shipper, here's the Gem.

$IMG_8793.jpg$IMG_8794.jpg

So, we normally call the GEM model, the Jewel. But it doesn't appear to say Jewel on it. At least the case doesn't.

So, we normally call the GEM model, the Jewel. But it doesn't appear to say Jewel on it. At least the case doesn't.

The Jewel label is misapplied to the Gem version.
Jewel refers to either Gem or Ever-Ready in the metal case.
Streamline to either brand in the plastic clamshell.
Ambassador in the coloured rectangular.

Either brand in the larger white clamshell is not called any of these things.

It's confusing, until you look at the Gillettes from the pre-war era, these are also differentiated based on the case, so it was apparently common practice.

The Jewel label is misapplied to the Gem version.
Jewel refers to either Gem or Ever-Ready in the metal case.
Streamline to either brand in the plastic clamshell.
Ambassador in the coloured rectangular.

Either brand in the larger white clamshell is not called any of these things.

It's confusing, until you look at the Gillettes from the pre-war era, these are also differentiated based on the case, so it was apparently common practice.
Very interesting - so if they come without the correct case, what do we call them?
I notice the later version of the "Ever Ready" also comes as the Ambassador.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom