What's new

The Cobra Classic - The best razor on the market?

I too, even though I treasure my Cobra, purchased an Above the Tie, Titan H1, (B/S/T) yesterday.....oh well.

Thanks Oldtrout! May I ask what is your blade of choice?

The Professional blades.

I have a pack of the Pro Guard blades that came with the Artist Club I purchased at the same time I bought the Cobra. I haven't used the AC nor the Pro Guard blades yet and I've only used my Merkur Futur once since the Cobra arrived (just to confirm how awesome the Cobra is).

Thanks, the Pros are what shipped with the razor. Ive been reading about the Kai milds and may pick up a pack of those too. Regular feather DEs tend to disagree with my skin (or my technique!)

I recently had the pleasure of taking a Cobra Classic for a test ride.Liked it a lot,had to buy one for myself.What follows are some random impressions of my first few shaves:

In a hurry with family commitments looming,my first Cobra shave was all about speed.Needing to hurry's not a bad way to test a new razor.No fancy prep,no over thinking or memories of shave forum reviews to clutter the mind.

Got a few hurried strokes into the shave and noted my technique felt right on and that I was getting smoother in fewer strokes with less effort than usual.

Shaved my neck from jawline to the base with only downward strokes and was surprised to find I didn't need to add my usual across,against and angled across the grain strokes.The Cobra performed simply and quickly producing ultra smooth long lasting results with complete disregard for omnidirectional beard growth.My multifaceted Adam's apple felt diamond smooth.

That speaks volumes....on a lazy day where I barely feel like shaving,I've no doubt that without really trying,the Cobra's capable of providing a quick,easy with the grain one pass shave with surprisingly smooth results.

I seemed to get all the highly beneficial advantages that the increased rigidity of single edge blades offer,yet most definitely with the sense of a noticeably finer sharper cutting edge.For me,the Feather Pro's seem to be the ticket.

The increased width of the razor's head didn't bother me as I'd feared,it actually provided a sense of increased stability.

The handle's exactly right for this razor,I wouldn't change anything about it.The length's ideal and the grooved "V" shaped section right behind the swing out clasp is the fore/aft balance point of the razor.

This balance point location is also the spot I hold between my thumb and middle finger while my index fingertip rests on the flat smooth surface in back,I grip a bit lower when shaving ATG on my neck

I like that the "V" shaped handle served to make me acutely aware of how parallel the razor's head/blade are to the skin's surface.The handle provides a well balanced comfortable secure grip that makes the Cobra easy to maneuver.

This for me is a legitimate fast 2 pass razor.
1st pass: WTG everywhere.2nd pass XTG face & ATG neck.Minimal touch up & Done....(Quickly)

It's always nice to take time and enjoy a leisurely shave,however...the increased width of the blade and the Cobra's deadly efficiency mean an extremely fast effortless smooth shave's there to be had if you want it.

I liked the handle immediately and after a few shaves I started to love it.

The Cobra's width gives me the perception of added torsional stability,it feels like the blade naturally wants to remain squarely on the surface it's shaving.

Should the Cobra be made of stainless steel ? I say what variety of stainless steel ? To sell the Cobra in stainless steel at a price point most of you would think appropriate,it would most likely be manufactured from sintered (cast) stainless steel which necessitates a dull protective coating that by it's nature is extremely vulnerable to permanent scrapes and dings.

Now CNC machine it from a block of solid Marine Grade 316 stainless steel,give it a polished finish and it and it would be a treasure to own but awfully expensive.

The Cobra is manufactured of nickel plated brass which has served several 100 year old razors I own very well and it's still a fine way to manufacture a modern razor.

The Cobra Classic armed with a Feather Pro Blade undeniably provides the most effortless,highly effective,irritation free shave of any razor I've ever tried.This isn't one of those "flavor of the month" modern razors that have come and gone from my stable.

I liked it too much not to place an order,should be here soon and I'm looking forward to it.

Marc....good comments! Am sure you will enjoy your cobra!

Thanks Jeff !
Heck of a razor,couldn't resist...

I see you're from Ft.Wayne,had family there for years and lived there a few myself.Played Junior League Hockey in the Coliseum back in grade school,my Uncle played for the Komets way back.

Marc,

Very nice review.
I agree, the Cobra's efficiency and shave quality are stellar. Unmatched by anything I've used to date.

Marc,

Very nice review.
I agree, the Cobra's efficiency and shave quality are stellar. Unmatched by anything I've used to date.

Thank you...

I got back to the one of my other SE's this morning (an awfully nice razor itself)...For almost a minute I felt that perhaps it was holding it's own with the Cobra.It wasn't much longer before I realized I was having to work longer and harder to match the Cobra's level of performance.

I've shaved with my Cobra about 10 times and I find the shave itself is very smooth but it leaves my face feeling irritated. I have used the Feather blades it comes with and the KAI mild blades also. I am now thinking about selling it.

After seven mornings in a row using my favorite DE, the ATT Titan, I used the Cobra.

The Cobra gives me the best results with the fewest passes of any razor I've tried.
The blade is a beard-whacking monster! If I were practical. I would use the Cobra exclusively.

I don't know why, but I prefer the ATT Titan as a daily tool.
Perhaps I prefer the ATT much like an old guy might prefer a young trophy wife to a women he might actually want to talk to.

Yet I have the most fun using the Feather AC.

Hmmm, sounds similar to one of those mid-life crisis things. [deleted]
What a trip!

Last edited:
Thanks to a good friend & true gentleman & fellow B&B member, I was lucky to get a great deal on a Cobra Classic. The past few weeks it has been almost exclusively my daily driver. I have been getting some incredible BBS face & dome shaves with the CC paired with a Feather.
$IMG_20130121_182029.jpg$IMG_20130121_181914.jpg
WARHAWK

Thanks to a good friend & true gentleman & fellow B&B member, I was lucky to get a great deal on a Cobra Classic. The past few weeks it has been almost exclusively my daily driver. I have been getting some incredible BBS face & dome shaves with the CC paired with a Feather.
WARHAWK

Nice !

Great to see you rolling with the snake :thumbup1:

War hawk , great photos! I love the streamlining of this tool. It reminds me of mid century modern style which I love.

Last edited:
Top Bottom