What's new

The Cobra Classic - The best razor on the market?

So you are having the same load problem as most, its a time killer and cramps your lifestyle trying to figure out if its loaded properly, what if they made an improvement on loading mechanism, would it be worth it to you to buy?

lol.. the slant loads in no time... i just hold/pull the blade by the tabs as i close the razor. works every time, all the time.

the cobra, i slide the blade in past the tab stops, close and check, if not good, i open the mechanism a small bit and it usually slides back behind both stops. voilà!

the injector handles don't appear barrel handled either, it looks like a similar angle of the handle and blade.. is it lighter and therefore different?

i can't justify the price of any part of this hobby... i am not in this game for savings.. pure enjoyment of the sport...

Can someone explain what advantages the Cobra has over a Schick Injector that would make me want to pay 10 times the price for a razor that is less comfortable to hold and harder to load with harder to obtain blades for a shave I can get with a Schick Type E or G Injector?

won't argue the value/worth game, but the blades feather props or kais are pretty easy to get and stock up on... i think i must have 300 or so.. that should last at least 900-2100 shaves, 3 to 7 years of every day use... BONUS! they fit the AC SS too.

my only option for injectors seem to be the personnas7 pack for about $5 certainly available at certain supermarkets and harmon discounters. not much of a difference..

truly it's not uncomfortable once you get used to it after a shave or 2... i think the handle argument is overblown...

won't argue the value/worth game, but the blades feather props or kais are pretty easy to get and stock up on... i think i must have 300 or so.. that should last at least 900-2100 shaves, 3 to 7 years of every day use... BONUS! they fit the AC SS too.

my only option for injectors seem to be the personnas7 pack for about $5 certainly available at certain supermarkets and harmon discounters. not much of a difference..

truly it's not uncomfortable once you get used to it after a shave or 2... i think the handle argument is overblown...

+1
The Cobra is the best razor made for my face, which is the only face I care about when it comes to shaving. :wink2: Prior to settling on the Cobra I was exclusively using SEs (e.g., injectors, GEMs) and locally I could no longer find blades for any of them, so I had to go to the Internet to buy what I needed. Last time I checked Feather and Kai blades were more readily available from B&B vendors than SE or injector blades, and if you are hunting for deals I think you can the Feathers for cheaper than injectors. (Ted Pellas would be the exception.) Personally, I find the Feather blades superior to Schicks, GEMs, Ted Pellas, etc., so I am fine paying a bit more if necessary. Loading the blade is as easy as a DE or injector in my experience, especially given the quality of plastic injector cartridges these days. And the handle? Well, I have been using the Cobra for some time and I do not even think about it. It twirls around in my fingers as needed. I did a quick review of injector handles and I do not think a round, knurled handle was ever made, and if it was it was a rarity. Most were square, and some of the latter models had a similar look to the Cobra, though they were plastic. All of that said, you cannot get around the cost of buying one. Some people choose to use a $10 Gillette DE and others prefer a $190 Feather. However, once those initial investments are out of the way the cost per shave is pretty much a wash. I think it is all about finding what works for you.

It would be interesting to poll the entirety of safety razor users on B&B and see what "the best razor made" is. Maybe it would have to be a thread because you would not want a pre-made list for members to select from given the various renditions of razors (e.g., the New DeLuxe in all of its varieties). My guess is we would find 100+ best razors ever made, and it would be true of them all. But for me...the Cobra is the best! :001_smile

+1
The Cobra is the best razor made for my face, which is the only face I care about when it comes to shaving. :wink2: Prior to settling on the Cobra I was exclusively using SEs (e.g., injectors, GEMs) and locally I could no longer find blades for any of them, so I had to go to the Internet to buy what I needed. Last time I checked Feather and Kai blades were more readily available from B&B vendors than SE or injector blades, and if you are hunting for deals I think you can the Feathers for cheaper than injectors. (Ted Pellas would be the exception.) Personally, I find the Feather blades superior to Schicks, GEMs, Ted Pellas, etc., so I am fine paying a bit more if necessary.

7 personna blades for $5 is ~70 cents +tax each plus overhead (gas, time, etc)

20 pros for $13-$20 is ~65 - 100 cents each... including shipping + minimal overhead.. wonder if amazon will let you sign up for a monthly automatic shipment

Hiya,

I gotta borrow one of these things sometime. I've had injectors in my rotation for years, and the Cobra is a small monkey on my back. Yeah, normally it's quiet until a thread like this opens up.

So there's some issues I just don't know about with this injector style. Yeah, there's the price, but it's easily sold at just a small loss if it doesn't fit right. Still, that initial outlay ain't pretty.

I'm concerned about being locked into 1-2 blades. What if the Feather blade's too sharp in that razor? Then what? I like using a Feather blade, but only in certain very mild DE razors. No adjustment to the Cobra, which would probably help a bit.

The blade is a weak spot with regular Schick injectors and others like that, except the problem is finding sharp enough blades. Yeah, the currently made ones just don't work as welll as I like em to. The quick fix for that is to use vintage blades, which can be amazingly sharp compared to the new ones.......sometimes too sharp without being forgiving enough.

I like the Cobra's weight, or the idea of it anyway. It may actually not need any pressure during the shave, which appeals to me. The handle is most likely something I could deal with ok. Heh, I just don't know for sure.

Sheesh,

Martin

Last edited:
Can someone explain what advantages the Cobra has over a Schick Injector that would make me want to pay 10 times the price for a razor that is less comfortable to hold and harder to load with harder to obtain blades for a shave I can get with a Schick Type E or G Injector?

I have the same experience as you, in a way - I think the shaves from my E-type injector (and my Pal) are every bit as close as the shave I get from the Cobra.

I don't have an issue using the Cobra handle, though I'll also agree that it can be improved on (immensely). The main advantage of the Cobra is the blade used - the Feather AC blades are amazing! Love them!

However, $ for $, I find the regular injectors to make more sense.

As poonjaji implied - this is a personal pursuit. Some people are going to love the Cobra over all else, while others as not going to see the point. In the same way, some guys love their R41's, or the Fatboys, but others hate 'em.

There's no one perfect instrument for everyone. :)

The cobra just looks gorgous and it is alot heavier and purdier than injectors

Last edited:
Does anyone have a working coupon code for Classic Shaving? Rooneynews 15% off coupon used to work, it does not anymore.

As of today 2-4-2012 (just tried it) there is a coupon code of NMDO It gives you 7% off. Bringing the razor down to $134.85. I think I'm going to jump on it.

Is Classic Shaving the only place that the Cobra is sold? I was thinking about looking into getting an injector, but this seems like it may be a better fit as I already have a stockpile of Feather AC and Kai blades. Classic shaving shows them as out of stock.

Thank

Is Classic Shaving the only place that the Cobra is sold? I was thinking about looking into getting an injector, but this seems like it may be a better fit as I already have a stockpile of Feather AC and Kai blades. Classic shaving shows them as out of stock.

Thank

Classic Shaving is the only place to buy it. The Cobra is made specifically for Classic Shaving. GeoFatboy was reselling a few in his store for awhile, but he currently doesn't have any in stock.

I recieved my Cobra today! As many have said its even prettier in person. I loaded it up with a Kai Captain Mild blade and went at my 3 days of stubble. Very nice, I'm not going to say it was my best shave ever, but it was effortless. I think it is very intuitive to get the angle right, however, I am used to the feel of these blades as I've shaved almost exclusively with my Feather AC's for over a year. Very good results with very little effort is a winner in my book, glad I decided to take the plunge.

I recieved my Cobra today! As many have said its even prettier in person. I loaded it up with a Kai Captain Mild blade and went at my 3 days of stubble. Very nice, I'm not going to say it was my best shave ever, but it was effortless. I think it is very intuitive to get the angle right, however, I am used to the feel of these blades as I've shaved almost exclusively with my Feather AC's for over a year. Very good results with very little effort is a winner in my book, glad I decided to take the plunge.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion man...but I am happy to hear it. :biggrin: As with your Feather ACs, it is probably just a matter of time until you find the Cobra's sweet spot and your shaves will be equally good and effortless.

Last edited:
No. An optional handle that is either round or hexagon so it has the same feel however you hold it should be offered.

I LOVE the Cobra handle design. Fits my hand perfectly in any position/grip I tried. Nicely knurled round handles are great but I feel I have better control with the triangular profile.

I have a Cobra and thought it was the greatest thing since chocolate ice-cream, ignoring the entire time the scalping my chin was taking. The length of the blade or the angle just did not like my chin and for the first time in 30 years I was having bleeders more than once a week (Sometimes going for years without one). I backed off the Cobra and now mostly use my Gillette "News" without any discomfort, i.e. weepers/bleeders at all. I did sacrifice the ultimate BBS/Dermabrasion I received with the Cobra, but the overall shave and comfort after the shave is best with my Gillettes.

My first shave was perfect. My second was exactly what you describe. But every shave is super smooth and eventually I'll figure out how to not have the occasional "mishap":lol:

Ken

Top Bottom