What's new

The Cobra Classic - The best razor on the market?

I was on vacation in Palm Springs, and the first stop was The Men's Room, which is the brick & mortar store for Classic Shaving. There, in the display case, my eye caught the Holy Grail -- The Cobra. What a beautiful piece of machinery! I sampled the soaps and creams and made my purchases, but left without the razor, needing to sleep on it. I have been using a slant for six years and loving it, however, this love affair was coming to an end, as even with a Feather blade, it just wasn't doing the job it use to. A few days later, I returned and bought the Cobra. I waited anxiously to get back to L.A. for my first shave. I have several SEs in my collection, and they seemed to always give me a closer shave than the DEs, but for some reason, I stopped using them. Sooooo, got home and lathered up. Yes, the handle is kinda funky. Not use to such a heavy razor, other than my Futur, which I like, but seems like a different beast. The loading of the Feather Pro wasn't difficult, but you do have to be sure it is seated properly before closing it up. LOVE that that head is 2" long. As a result, my shaves are quicker (which could be a good or bad thing, depending if I'm running late.). I used Taylor's Avocado for my first test drive. I have to say that when I was done, it was one of the closest, comfortable and carefree shaves that I have ever had with any razor in the years I have been in this hobby. Today is Day 3, and I'm totally digging it. The heaviest part of my beard is the chin and upper lip. It took care of this with complete ease and in one pass, with a few touch ups. As for getting under the nose, I never had to turn the razor around to get to the stubble under it. It made quick and easy work of it. There was no learning curve for me. I did get a package of 20 pack Feathers, and am anxious to try them after I'm done with the Pro blade that's in it now. The razor was 145.00 (the guy told me when I went back for it that the price went up to 165.00, but gave me the old price, less the fancy box, which I had no need for.). To sum it up, will become my go to razor. I am completely satisfied with my purchase and the razor/blades. I'm really glad I bought it.

I must say I prefer the PILS over the cobra. The Cobra can be slightly clunky and awkward, particularly due to its handle construction...with the right angle the PILS gives a closer non irritating bbs shave IMHO. Different types of razors though.

Put a Feather Pro in a Cobra...and you're going to get as smooth and close of a shave as is currently possible. There are no blades out there - DE, SE or Injector that outperform the Feather Artist Club blades.

I had my first shave with the Cobra today. I love it. I used the Feather Professional blade that came with it. It is an aggressive razor but if you just take it slow it should not be a problem. The soap I used was an Old Spice puck I've had for about 35 years. Still good. I can't imagine getting a closer shave than you get with the Cobra Classic.

When I use my Cobra...I'm pretty much at a loss as to why I knock myself out buying and testing all of the razors that I do. Nothing really "outshaves" the Cobra; which makes me wonder why I keep throwing money at various razors.

I am relatively new, but have tried numerous DE's (Slim, Weber, EJ DE89L, R41 OC), ordered the Cobra and it has been, by far, the "best" razor for me. I have enjoyed trying and using DE's, but am contemplating just using the Cobra .Better, closer, easier shave for me. A Slant is next up, but am questioning, "why"? Also was contemplating the new Atlas (Above the Tie) , but cannot pull the trigger!

It's all about opinions! I like my cobra, but it's not my favourite razor, and I might even sell it to try something else. For me, the shave is no better (or worse) than my adjustable injector or my slant. It's very easy to use though!

I couldn't find a better place to ask this. I'm new to this site and I'm not sure of the terms: YMMV or BBS. Could someone tell me what they mean? I think I saw it some time ago but not I forgot what they mean. Sorry I had to ask it here.

I couldn't find a better place to ask this. I'm new to this site and I'm not sure of the terms: YMMV or BBS. Could someone tell me what they mean? I think I saw it some time ago but not I forgot what they mean. Sorry I had to ask it here.
YMMV: your mileage may vary

BBS: baby butt smooth

WARHAWK

I've been thinking about a Feather Artist Club just for FUN and I see the Cobra uses the same blades.
Now I'm thinking about getting both and I probably will in the near future.

This is odd (for me) as the Futur/Feather combo is providing the best shaves of my life.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I just got the Cobra and now I'm thinking about getting the Feather Artist Club for fun also. I don't know what my wife is going to do with all of my razors after I die. Ha!

I bought it, used it for about a dozen shaves and then sold it. I wasn't so impressed. For me, the handle is it's downfall and the finish quality is terrible for a $170 razor. When I want to use an AC blade, I'd rather grab my SS or DX. YMMV though

I bought it, used it for about a dozen shaves and then sold it. I wasn't so impressed. For me, the handle is it's downfall and the finish quality is terrible for a $170 razor. When I want to use an AC blade, I'd rather grab my SS or DX. YMMV though

Thank you...order placed.

Interesting how views can be so extremely different. I love the handle and think the finish is pretty "OK" to "not an issue."

The only complaint with the one I have is the non ergonomic handle. I find it a little awkward unless I use it on a regular basis (which I don't as I don't use ANY razor more than once or twice a month).

The shave I get from the Cobra is better than any other razor I own.

i am not trying to be argumentative, just curious. i hold this thing pretty much the same way i hold a cylindrical handle. i think i use 3 fingers and pretty much the same locations two on the handle and one underneath. i haven't used it in a while, but i don't really recall the difference...

i am not trying to be argumentative, just curious. i hold this thing pretty much the same way i hold a cylindrical handle. i think i use 3 fingers and pretty much the same locations two on the handle and one underneath. i haven't used it in a while, but i don't really recall the difference...

It has the tendency to snap back and forth in my hand. NO big, it just feels like I might drop it sometimes as it shifts. Haven't dropped it (yet) but still not as nice if it were a better design.

Top Bottom