What's new

The Brotherhood of Bay Rum Runners

Here we discuss all the variations of bay rum. What are your favorites, what notes do you like/dislike. All opinions are welcome to dicuss this magnificent scent.

For me, after trying over 17 different bay rums. I have settled on the Ogallala double strength aftershaves as being the best for the value. But I know this scent, that has been around since the pirate age that has countless interpretations will have many passionate champions. I’m excited to see what everyone has to say about this fabulous scent.

I have a bias to 'barbershop' bay rums. That is not a particular scent, just an environment were bay rums are found. In my den, all getting regular use in the cooler months:

Pinaud VIBR, my introduction to bay rum, decades ago. Cloves anyone? Enjoy a good burn? A little goes a long way. Most of my barbers have had a (dusty) bottle on the shelf.

Ogallala, the first bay rum soap I tried. I have used a couple of their variants. The bay rum notes always come in first. I have not been motivated to try the aftershaves.

Gabels, Masters, Stephan, classic barbershop AS brands, still found in the traditional barbers I'm likely to visit. I mix equal parts of these three plus VIBR to make 4Rum BB (Badger Blend). A good way to tone down VIBR. I'm most likely to use Stephan out of this group, when I'm not just splashing 4Rum BB.

Captain's Choice, the purest bay scent in my bay rum experience. My top choice.

Camamu Swagger, a local Portland, Oregon product. Think toned down VIBR. With small chunks of spice floating the bottle. Shake before using - seriously.

Col. Ichabod Conk Bay Rum After Shave - Cologne, a bay rum scent unlike an other I have tried. Strong, not a splash, so small doses preferred.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like Pashana American Bay Rum hair tonic, used as an aftershave or cologne. It has a surprisingly good post shave feel and an extremely strong scent of cloves. For some occasions it might be a bit too strong, in that case I enjoy C.O.Bigelow bay rum cologne which to my nose has peppery citrus notes.

I like lots of different bay rums. Stirling BR scented witch hazel smells great, as does their splash. I liked their scent so much I tracked down a bottle of their EDT which is discontinued. I like Fine splash as well. I’ve only tried the regular(?) Ogallala and liked it but didn’t love it. Too much vanilla scent, at least I think that’s what it is. It is a great value though. Captain’s Choice will probably be my next to try.

I love bay rum and have only been able to try a few different soap versions so far - Stirling and B&M. I'm always on the lookout, but I also don't want to end up with a ton of soaps sitting around that never get used.

I have been looking for a decent splash since this is an area I haven't ventured into yet.

I love bay rum and have only been able to try a few different soap versions so far - Stirling and B&M. I'm always on the lookout, but I also don't want to end up with a ton of soaps sitting around that never get used.

I have been looking for a decent splash since this is an area I haven't ventured into yet.
If you get too many Bay Rum soaps im sure some of the fellers here will dispose of your extra. :)

For me it's PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum and Ogallala Limes Peppercorn Bay Rum. Both excellent scents and performance. I'm not good at describing scent profiles, but these hit the mark for me. I like that Ogallala uses bay rum as their base scent and adds other things in to mix it up a bit. I'm definitely going to try some of their other mixed scents in the future.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
All the Bootlegger's variations are great. My personal artisan favorites are:

Stirling (waiting for the t-shirt and 8 ounce special edition bottles to be offered)
Barberry Coast
Ogallala Double Strength
Barrister and Mann
Murphy and McNeil Bad Mor
PAA Atomic Age
PAA Clasico
PAA Atomic Pumpkin
PAA Space Nog

And...yes...Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum... preferably decanted into glass.

Honorable mention...Gabels Bay Rum. One of these days I'm going to have to buy the windshield washer size gallon jug of Gabels Bay Rum.

Last edited:
Great recommendations,thanks to all 🤗👍
I really want to try Stirlings bay rum, maybe I’ll treat myself to soap and a.s. combo.
Another one that’s fabulous is captain choice cat o nine tails. A strong fragrance with a great gradual heat build up. It’s not so much as a sudden burn but a building fire 🔥. I wish there were more aftershaves that had this attribute, cooling menthols all seem to be the rage. 😳👍

Captain's Choice Bay Rum & Superior 70 Bay Rum. My favorites by far.

Attachments

• Bay Rum.jpg
    Bay Rum.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 4
I keep Osage Rub around when l want a menthol burst.
Yes. My point was that there are tons of cooling aftershaves available, but hardly any that promote the burn.
Cat o nine tails, a fabulous bay rum, is the only aftershave that embraces a heating burn that I am aware of.🔥😳

My Bay Rum ASAD got a bit out of hand. I haven't gone to @JCarr 's level but I have many multiples of most of the following:

Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Pinaud VIBR
Master Bay Rum
Superior 70
Avon Bay Rum
Ogallala Double Strength Cologne
St. John's Bay Rum
Royall Bay Rhum 57 EDT
Royall Bay Rhum all purpose lotion
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum

It occurred to me the only Bay Rum soap I own is the PAA so I decided to expand the soap collection.

I just got my sample of Stirling's Bay Rum soap and aftershave, and only used it once so far but already ordered a full tub of the soap. I couldn't bring myself to order a bottle of the splash because of the above list, but if they release a special edition 8oz bottle I will be unable to resist something like that.

I also have a tub of Captain's Choice en route. I've only tried CC Lime and I'm looking forward to trying the CC soap.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My Bay Rum ASAD got a bit out of hand. I haven't gone to @JCarr 's level but I have many multiples of most of the following:

Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Pinaud VIBR
Master Bay Rum
Superior 70
Avon Bay Rum
Ogallala Double Strength Cologne
St. John's Bay Rum
Royall Bay Rhum 57 EDT
Royall Bay Rhum all purpose lotion
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum

It occurred to me the only Bay Rum soap I own is the PAA so I decided to expand the soap collection.

I just got my sample of Stirling's Bay Rum soap and aftershave, and only used it once so far but already ordered a full tub of the soap. I couldn't bring myself to order a bottle of the splash because of the above list, but if they release a special edition 8oz bottle I will be unable to resist something like that.

I also have a tub of Captain's Choice en route. I've only tried CC Lime and I'm looking forward to trying the CC soap.

It's a fine collection! Onward!

Top Bottom