What's new

The boy and me need to get to fishin'

I need a little help from those of you more "outdoors inclined" than myself.

I've been fishing twice in my life. Once as a child, and once a few years ago with my brothers on a pier. There was booze involved, and I don't remember much of the whole situation. Needless to say, I'm not much of a fisherman. I possess good common sense, and know that before I begin any fishing endeavor, I need to purchase a permit from my state (Louisiana). HOwever, what comes next is a bit of a mystery to me. I really want to take my son fishing. But I'm not really sure what we'll need. I'll have to buy any necessary gear, and the budget will be tight. A first trip would likely be to the Bonnet Carre spillway outside of New Orleans (very near our home), which I believe to be freshwater.

Rods: What do we need? My son is 5, just a toy rod or something real?

Net: Pretty easy, I'm guessing

Tackle: This is confuisng as all get-out. How do I know what we need? Hooks, weights, bait, etc?

I'm guessing an ice chest for any keepers? My brothers taught me how to filet a fish, but I'll probably need a refresher course.

I really want to take y son fishing before the summer is over, so this will probably happen within the next few weeks.

Thanks for the help gents!

For the boy I recommend a Zebco 33, it is an awesome rod and reel combo, a real staple and can be had with a little tackle box usually for under $25. For you ugly stik has a combo with an open face Shakespeare for around $30-$40 that will last you a lifetime. You will need some hooks, ask one of the workers at Academy or whatever store you go to which ones they recommend, I like Eagles but I bass fish a lot. I would look up YouTube videos of some knots to use, a simple fisherman's knot would be plenty. Grab a basket of crickets and you should be good to go! I know for military the license is $10 but I don't think it's much more than that for residents. I've fished Bonnet Carre and it's a pretty good spot, very easy to fish there. There is also a park not too far away that has a boat launch and a little dock that may be good. I would stay out of the canals over there though, pretty gross from the plants dumping there over the years. Fishing is a great hobby and can offer lots of quality time with your boy. I can't wait until mine is old enough to hold a rod and reel.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about your area, but if you can find a small privately owned pond you won't even need a permit. If the state doesn't stock or upkeep you shouldn't have to pay. Check your local codes to be sure.

I would try to find somewhere with lots of little schooling fish, around here they are blue gills not sure if you have them probably or at least something similar. They school pretty tight usually close to shore and near an obstruction tree, drain pipe, dock ,ect. All you need is a couple of cheap poles hooks bobbers sinkers and worms. Just through it in the middle of them and keep pulling in small but lots of fish.

Or you might find a place that offers rental equipment and a weekend pass in a package deal.

Hope this helps have fun.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
For license...ask where you get them if you need a salt water stamp where you are fishing at.

For rod and reel...I totally second John's recommendation for a Zebco 33 combo. I still have mine from when I was a kid. You can still get them at Wally World or somewhere. You should get 2...1 for you and 1 for your son.

http://shop.zebcobrands.com/33-family-33602m-10c-ns4.html

Net: I don't need no skinkin' net...I just grab them by the lower jaw when I pull them up. :lol: If you pick them up from their back be careful of getting finned. :w00t:

Hooks, weights, bait, etc....Yup, you need some. Size of hooks depends on how big the fish are you are expecting to catch. You can get weights in a pack with several different weight sizes, as you can hooks. For bait, get a box of real worms, and some plastic worms or spinner baits if you have bass. Maybe some minnows...talk to some local people on what they use at the spot you are fishing at. And don't forget corks.

Ice chest...that would be good to put them in with the water until you get home. Then you can clean them. Get a stringer to keep them on in the water you are fishing at until you get ready to leave.

I just pulled out a couple of ultra light open faced rod and reels from the pump house to use this weekend, along with the old Zebco 33 I still have. I'll post some pics. in a bit when I get them uploaded.

Or...you could just get a cane pole...or stick, a piece of string, and a bent nail you filed a little barb on. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Don't over-complicate it. KISS. Just get some simple rods and reals, some bait, some drinks and snacks and go have fun. He's 5 and he'll be ready to go after 30-45 minutes, tops. Enjoy the time with your son.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Got the rod and reel pics. uploaded...and I second BSAGuy's thought...don't overthink it. Just have fun.

Top one in the pics. is my old Zebco 33 from when I was a kid. Need to replace the handle on the rod, but that's easy to do. The next two are some Abu Garcia ultra lights I just got out to put some fresh line on for fishin' in the pond this weekend.

The bottom one is my Dad's old rod and reel from the 1950's I'm guessing...that still has the braided line on it. It's a Langley Streamlite reel.

My Granddad, who farmed in N.E. Oklahoma during the Depression while raising kids, used to take me fishing in the stock ponds with a cane pole, fishing line, a hook and some worms when I wasn't much older than your son. I still remember him walking out chest deep in a pond to get me unhooked when I got hung up on cattails.

You are at the start of some lifetime's worth of memories with your son.

Attachments

• $025.jpg
    $025.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 98
  • $027.jpg
    $027.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I'll tell you how good the 33s are, I got mine when I was about 10, it has traveled with me from New Orleans to Guam and Korea and back to California, it still works like the day I got it. A little maintenance on it when you change the line, a bit of reel oil down the barrel cleans up any sticky spots. It will be something your boy will have for the rest of his life. I plan to give mine to my son when he gets old enough to use it.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
When my brother and I were growing up dad always took us hunting and fishing but he never took a rifle, shotgun, or fishing pole for himself. I asked him about it later. He told me that it was because he wanted to teach us and spend time with us and if he were doing it himself then he wouldn't be doing it with us. I hope this makes sense. it did to me and does to this day.
We always used a soda can with fishing line rolled on it. For perch/blue gill very tiny hooks and just little pieces of worms.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I had an old cane pole that each of mine started with - lake in the backyard with stunted but feisty bluegills, and some small bass. I see Cabela's/Bass Pro have cane rigs for $7 - add some line, a hook, a bobber, and some small chunks of hot dog or bologna. The bluegills here were so dumb they'd hit on a gold, bare hook. But as mentioned maybe ask someone local about the spot you plan to fish.

And I'd second the advice above about not doing it yourself, at least to start out. Have a great time

I am an avid fisherman - fishing both fresh and salt water. I have numerous rods, reels, and tackle to cover every possible situation. What I recommend is simple. Go to a local fishing store and talk to someone there who knows where you want to fish and ask questions.

Local guys know best what works.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The lake side of the spillway is brackish water, not fresh. You will possibly pick up a few trout or even a redfish. Flounder, maybe. The catfish you will find there are saltwater "hardheads", no good to eat. It is not unheard of to pick up a channel cat, though, and they are of course quite good to eat. But hardheads are one of the few exceptions to the South Louisiana rule that says "If its got a face on it, you can kill it and eat it". You can get your license at walmart or any bait and tackle shop or sporting goods shop. For the lake you need a saltwater license. I have never fished up in the spillway itself but I assume it is fresh, and that the highway is the dividing line between fresh and salt license.

For the lake, try shrimp or mullet for bait. You can fish live shrimp under a cork there, or dead shrimp on or near the bottom with about a 1/2oz sinker. You could also try jigs or various plastic baits. Take a couple of chicken necks and some stout string, and a big dip net, and you might get some crabs. Lake Pontchartrain is full of crabs.

Try a recon trip first. Just go, with your boy, Take sandwiches and sodas, make a trip out of it. Ask anybody you see there what kind of gear and bait they are using, what they are catching or hoping to catch, and whether it is the kind of fishing a young boy might enjoy. Local information is always best.

For the freshwater side, worms under bobbers work. Crickets too. Early morning or in the evening as the sun gets low, try crickets with a very small hook, just floating on top of the water. You will get plenty of panfish, and maybe even the odd bass or channel cat. A really long cane pole, like one of those telescoping ones, works great for floating crickets and grasshoppers for panfish. It is hard to cast the little guys without something else for weight, unless you use a fly rod, and then it is too easy to snatch the hook right out of the cricket on the back cast. For fly fishing you want a small popping bug or rubber spider. but back to grasshoppers, if you can find somewhere where you can catch a few, then your bait is free. I have used shrimp and even bacon to catch panfish. Dont use a whole shrimp, they will just steal your bait. Use a tiny piece. For catfish, try one of the commercial dough baits on a dough bait hook, which is a treble hook with a coil of wire on it to help keep the bait on it. minnows or shad, dead or alive, work, too. Google up how to make a minnow trap. Its pretty easy. Pull up water hyacinths and in the roots you will probably find small shrimp and other tiny critters.

In the heat of the day, dont fish too close to the surface, unless you find a quiet shaded piece of water.

like in the salt water, if you see anybody else fishing, ask what they are using. Doesn't mean they will be right, necessarily, but its a starting point. And if they are catching fish, then you could do worse than to do exactly the same thing they are doing.

If you go by West Marine or any other marine supply or sporting goods place, you might find the local freebie fishing rags, with plenty of local info and fishing forecasts and tips. You could go to Cabelas, over in Gonzales, but don't... you will spend a ton of money. I can't go in there for one or two things without coming out with a dozen things I hadnt planned to buy. But the sales staff are knowledgeable and they really got the goods, including lots of books. The Times/Picayune has a lot of fishing info in the sports section.

If your son was a few years older I would suggest taking a guided trout fishing trip. Lots of great fishing for trout and reds in the area, but you are sort of crippled without a boat and local knowledge. A charter with a reputable guide improves your chances of catching a bunch of fish. But that might be a little hard core for a 5yo.

On the freshwater side of the spillway we used crickets and a bobber when I was a kid. Just a little weight above the hook and let it sit. We caught lots of Brim and perch, nothing crazy but plenty of fun for a little guy.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Jessy, I have three kids and have fished all my life. Here are my suggestions...

A five year old can handle about 15 minutes of fishing before getting bored. :blush:
If they catch a fish, they will want to keep it as a pet.
I have found that catch and release is best when starting out.
Let them practice casting before going to the water.
Get the Zebcos. Cane poles are fun, but can be unwieldy for a small kid.
Learn to tie a proper knot.
Learn what fish are in your area, your boy will ask.
Start by fishing for bluegill
Live bait is usually best (Worms and crickets) but we have had good luck with Berkley Power Bait
A very small hook & split shot or 1/16 or Popeye, small bobber, will catch more fish.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and one piece of very essential equipment I haven't seen mentioned yet....

A camera.

You gotta get pics. of your boy with his first fish! :thumbup:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Circa 1970 Baffin Bay (South of Corpus Christi). We had a field day. I'm the tired little light blond haired boy leaning against the post. A day I'll always remember and a lot of fun. Dad didn't have time to fish because we were casting into a school of speckled trout.

$Troughtcatch2.jpg

Thank you all for your responses! I'll avoid quoting them here, because the useful information is so abundant in each post!

I've had a fishing license before, so procuring that will not be an issue.

Special thanks to Slash and John for their first-hand knowledge of the waters I plan to fish first! My plan is to take the 5 minute drive to the boat launch just off Airline Hwy. That's probably the brackish water you mentioned, Slash. I'll be sure to get the right license for the area, and I'm sure the Fish and Game workers at Walmart will steer me right.

I'm well aware of my son's attention span. But he LOVES being outdoors, and he LOVES me being with him outdoors, so I'm banking on a solid 15 minutes of line-in-water time with him. But I'll take the advice some of you have offered, and practice casting with him at the house. If we can break it up that way, that'll give us more time for fishing, but we'll also have some fun at home learning to tie a hook (AND HOOK SAFETY!) and load bait.

I'm not really worried about him wanting to keep a fish as a pet. He has two in a tank, that I usually have to feed. :001_rolle. He seems to have a solid grasp on reality when it comes to animals. He loves them, but understands, and has handled very well when they have to leave (his dog), die (grandparent's dog), or be sacrificed (the boy LOVES pork products, and has come to terms with how cute but delicious pigs are).

What an AWESOME picture Aaron!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Jessy, my dad made us practice casting(he didn't really make us) with our little Zebco's. He would just tie (clip) on a small lead weight instead of using a hook or a lure.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Could I get your thoughts on this combo available at Walmart? A tackle kit with a Zebco 202 Slingshot for $20. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ready-for-Season-Fishing-Bundle-Rod-with-101-Piece-Tackle-Kit/44376414
Spin-cast ("closed-face") reels are more intuitive and easier for a 5yo to master. I agree with the others that the zebco 33 would be a good choice. He may well outgrow it but it will last until he does, and make a good hand-me-down when and if he moves up to spinning reels or baitcasting reels. The 202 is sort of a sub-entry-level reel but was the first fishing reel for a million or so boys over the last 50 years or so. it is not as rugged but is dirt cheap and quite expendable. The kit will work fine, but initially you won't really need the artificial baits the tackle box appears to be stuffed with. For the first few outings using natural baits will maybe be less confusing. Still, the price is right. I give it a 2/3 thumb up. Additionally, get some extra #10 hooks for the already mentioned crickets. They are very tiny and will allow your cricket to float and swim and kick desperately on or near the surface, which to a fish is equivelant to a bullfighter waving a red cape in front of a bull. Look for some clear plastic bobbers that you fill with water for more casting weight. You dont need to cast 100 yards but you want generally to at least get the bait out away from your own shadow. A tiny bit of water in the bubble will make it easier to throw it out there where it needs to be. once it hits the water, the bobber again functions as a bobber. of course crickets on the bottom or elsewhere in the water column are good bait, too, but a drowned cricket doesn't tease a hungry bluegill the way a live one does. Spinning, or "open faced" reels have two advantages. Well, three, I guess. More line capacity. Easier to cast further with lighter weights. Less abrasion to the line. And most importantly, a better drag. The drag is a mechanism that allows the spool to turn under heavy strain and pay out line rather than hold tight to it and let it break. The drag is kind of useless when you are catching 1/2lb catfish or panfish on say 10lb test line, but is absolutely necessary if you tie in to a 6 or 7 lb bass or catfish with the same tackle. You want the drag to slip if the fish takes a hard run, but you want to be able to control it and you need it to pay out smoothly and consistently. Spincast reels can have pretty iffy drags, and the 202 is notorious in that regard, unless they have changed it since I was a youngster. Anyway, when you are rigged up, be sure to check your drag to be sure you won't snap your line at the first heavy pull. I didnt mention casting reels and nobody else did, either. When you are learning, they are an extreme PITA. You will spend more time untangling bird nests of line than actually fishing, until you master them. They don't cast light weights very well at all, though they are great with 1/2oz or more. These are the reels that look like tiny winches. They are very rugged and will stand up to use of heavy lines and heavy loads and heavy cranking of heavy fish quite well. Notice that most professional bass tournament fishermen use them, and most hardcore surf fishermen. (very large spinning reels are gaining in popularity for surf casting though) But don't be tempted at this stage. Baitcasting reels are better left alone for now. Plus, the nicer ones are rather expensive. But back to the zebco... casting in the back yard can be a lot of fun. An old tire or an empty garbage can or the lid from it makes a great target. A 1/2 oz dipsey sinker is a good weight to use, or you can get a high visibility casting practice plug. Accuracy is more important than distance. If you can hit a trash can lid 50% of the time at 30 feet, you rock. Your son iniially won't come close to that but beware... he might be pretty tough competition once he gets the hang of it. look up "clinch knot" on google. It is easy to tie and pretty secure in monofilament, which is too slippery for many common knots to hold. With spinning or spin-cast reels, you NEED to use a swivel. Every time the bail lays another coil of line on the spool, it puts a twist in the line. Every time you cast, each coil that shoots off the spool twists the line back the other way. So far, so good. But retrieving the line often untwists the twist, destroying the symmetry between reeling and casting opposite twists. And when the drag slips, the spool itself is turning, so the line is paying out without twisting. So a swivel or a snap-swivel at the end of your line is important to keep the line relatively untwistified. Typically you make a short leader of line with the hook at one end and a loop at the other, and attach it to the snap swivel by the loop. There are other ways of rigging, but somewhere in the line near the end you want a swivel to get rid of excess twist.

Top Bottom