What's new

The Big, Bad Fatip Grande

I had been interested in one and when I found the source to order one here did so, getting the nickle plated grande.

It's a bit more aggressive than my slant and nowhere near near as aggressive as the R41 which I had been having problems with. I did pull the R41 out again this morning and it did quite well. I think because I was much more cautious about pressure and angle. Right now the R 41 would not be my razor of choice to take on a trip as the only razor available.

I do think there is somewhat of a learning curve for both the R41 and the Fatip....both are very efficient razors capable of delivering exceptional shaves

I've used the R41 for almost a year and love it. The jury is still out on the Fatip for me, though; I'm still getting used to it. Results have been variable: some great close, smooth shaves, some gotchas. Have been trying it with the long Weber Classic handle for a different balance. In fact, I have a nickel Fatip coming, just for this purpose. Stay tuned.

The Weber has become my go-to razor, although I do shim it with two extra partial blades to tweak up the aggressiveness -- er, efficiency -- a bit.

Guys a little advice please. I've never had an open comb befor but ordered a Piccolo from the bay last night. For me I found that the most aggressive closed comb (guard bar) razor I have ever owned was the Parker R94. I regulary shave with a red tip with no problems and also use a Merkur HD, long & short adjustables set on 2/3 and futur set on 2/3. How will the piccolo compare? Latley I've been using a super adjustable set on 6 and 7. My blade of choise (works for me) is a shark super stainless, I shower shave with stick.

Youre enthusiasm about your Fatip is what started me down this road.:barbershop_quartet_

proxy.php

I've been using the FaTip piccolo for about a week. My most aggressive razor for sure, but a very smoooth razor. I'm really digging it. The wide teeth make for easy cleaning in between passes and allows a lot of soap to cushion the blade.

Great review!!

Guys a little advice please. I've never had an open comb befor but ordered a Piccolo from the bay last night. For me I found that the most aggressive closed comb (guard bar) razor I have ever owned was the Parker R94. I regulary shave with a red tip with no problems and also use a Merkur HD, long & short adjustables set on 2/3 and futur set on 2/3. How will the piccolo compare? Latley I've been using a super adjustable set on 6 and 7. My blade of choise (works for me) is a shark super stainless, I shower shave with stick.

Not sure if it's a useful comparison, but I shave with a red tip which I like, and I use a fatboy and a slim usually on 7-8. And I found the Fatip almost perfect for me. It sounds like I possibly like my shaves a little more aggressive than you do, but I also reckon the Fatip is pretty forgiving because of the great design of the comb - it makes the sweet spot intuitive and pretty much guarantees you can't shave at the wrong angle.

If you use a light touch, I think you'll like it - I certainly hope you do :thumbup1:

Just thought I would share some pics to show the Fatip Grande is exactly the same as the Old Muhle R41. Below is a pic from another thread , showing the 2010 Merkur Head R41 on the left, the Fatip Head R41 on the right.

attachment.php

This is my photo of my Fatip

proxy.php

If you compare...they are exactly, handle and everything the same razor.....I've seen them go usd on BST for $60 and Fatips selling for $45 range.....why buy used when you can get new for less??

I had posted this in the BOTOC thread, and thought I would share here, today was day three with the Fatip and same blade combo.....still getting a great shave from the fatip!!

Just a follow up to everyone regarding the fatip:

The biggest difference I find between the fatip and 2011 R41...again for me....is the period of time I feel BBS smooth. The R41, around 12hrs, the fatip...8 or 9....cheeks felt overall very smooth, but could feel some stubble growth on my neck by the 9th hour. This is about what I feel with most razors, except the R41.

If I had a early flight and a out of town meeting the R41 would be the razor of choice for keeping that well groomed look. On a Daily basis at home, the Fatip provides me with a close shave that is as well as any of my vintage razors, and last as long.

I'm hoping with more experience, and maybe even finding the perfect blade combo for this i can get near R41 longevity.

I'm going to buy one of these! Thanks guys!

Question: What is the difference in the Piccolo and Grande handles based on their length? I have an R89 and am quite comfortable with that size handle, which looks to me to be about the same as the Grande handle. In your experience, is the Piccolo's handle a big difference in usage from the Grande? If I don't generally like small handles will it be too small?

Thanks!

I have the merkur HD and short-handle progress. The fatip is definitely more aggressive than the HD. On the progress I would rate it around > 4.

Question: What is the difference in the Piccolo and Grande handles based on their length? I have an R89 and am quite comfortable with that size handle, which looks to me to be about the same as the Grande handle. In your experience, is the Piccolo's handle a big difference in usage from the Grande? If I don't generally like small handles will it be too small?

Thanks!

Can't really comment with authority as mine hasn't arrived yet, but I prefer bigger handles and so I went for the Grande.

Thanks!

Here's a shot comparing the size of the Fatip models with a couple of other favourites...

View attachment 241857

Left to right: New Long Comb, Fatip Piccolo, Fatip Grande, Mühle R102 (R41 head)

As far as I know, the standard R41/R102/R89/etc handles are the same length, so the Fatip Grande handle is just a little shorter than those.

According to Maquire's Barbershop, sizes and weights are...

Piccolo:
Handle length = 70mm
Total length = 79mm
Weight = 72g

Grande:
Handle length = 77mm
Total length = 85mm
Weight = 65g

Last edited:
I have the merkur HD and short-handle progress. The fatip is definitely more aggressive than the HD. On the progress I would rate it around > 4.

Sweet lord what have I done. So then that'll be a super slow and concetrated shave for the first few times until I get the lerning curve sorted. So it's defo more agresive than a redtip, which I find very comfortable?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
It's a hollow handle - the Piccolo handle is solid.

Yes, I understood the reason for the weight difference, I just thought is amusingly ironic that they chose to name the light-weight "Grande". I know it has a larger girth but for me grande also connotes a degree of heft.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Yes, I understood the reason for the weight difference, I just thought is amusingly ironic that they chose to name the light-weight "Grande". I know it has a larger girth but for me grande also connotes a degree of heft.

Ah yes, I get what you mean :smile:

Top Bottom