What's new

The Big, Bad Fatip Grande

My FaTip Grande in nickel is one of my favorite razors, and my first open comb razor I ever bought. I recommend everyone picks one up if possible! :thumbup1:

My new Grande arrived last week, and while I like it, it has the sloppiest blade alignment I've ever seen. Last night I discovered a trick for centering the blade. I've always looked at the top cap and tried to have equal blade exposure on both sides, but it's much easier to turn it over and center the studs of the top cap in the holes of the base plate.
Using the Grande has also taught me the real meaning of "no pressure". I thought I was using no pressure with my other razors, but not even close. If I continue to enjoy it, maybe I'll use my FaTip for all of OCtober.

I had a great shave today with my Fatip razor. This is the smoothest shaving razor I have ever used. It is a bit aggressive but if you have your technique down it will give you the best shave of your life. I have tried many of the other razors such as the Cobra, Mongoose, the ATT Slant, R41 and many many more but the Fatip is the smoothest and closest for me.

$Fatip-Stout.jpg

A few wraps of plumbers thread tape solves the non-standard issue. Did this over a year ago and it still grips well. Fatip mated to an Odyssey handle is not only one of my best razors, but one of the least expensive.

My OC rotation, in order of aggressiveness: Gillette New LC, ATT R2, Joris and ATT H2. My most aggressive straight plate is the Braveheart from Executive Shaving. The Joris excels in those harder to achieve BBS spots around my chin.$image.jpg
Gold Joris in horn.

My OC rotation, in order of aggressiveness: Gillette New LC, ATT R2, Joris and ATT H2. My most aggressive straight plate is the Braveheart from Executive Shaving. The Joris excels in those harder to achieve BBS spots around my chin.View attachment 624600
Gold Joris in horn.

It's great to hear your endorsement of the Joris horn. I've got one in silver, and have been slow to try it out, both because I've got a FaTip and because it's so beautiful. My aggressiveness rotation starts at the FaTip, then ATT S2, Wolfman @.74mm blade gap, R41 (2013), ATT H2 and, finally, the Ikon Shavecraft Tech. I love them all. I have a 2011 version of the R41 en route, so my view may change....

Joris horn handle is light, so proportionately, it's head heavy. Ergo, no pressure or you'll be pressuring to cauterize! With patience, a great shave. Seems we have similar taste.

I say that's a pretty fair assessment. I like the Fatip for it's simplicity and efficiency. It has impeccable manners in my opinion. Nice shave and very close without being R41 or Braveheart brutal. It also has fantastic audio feedback. I love that slicing sound you get when you take it a tiny bit more shallow. You feel it, hear it but never fear it.

That said though, I'm not exactly in fear of the R41 either. It does the job fine but just requires a little more concentration with that much blade out there. The Braveheart? I need to spend a little more time with that guy, not been able to squeeze a really nice shave out of that. I'm hoping a revisit after some months of developing skills will allow me to see a better side of that razor.

Anyway.. That review was ace! Says it all.

I love my Fatip Grande, but I wish it were more forgiving. I have never gotten a bloodless shave with it. I am being completely serious. I've had it for a few months now. I feel like if your technique is anything less than perfect, the razor bites back. I've tried different blades, different soaps, showering and not showering before the shave, I just feel like it's an incredibly unforgiving razor. I love it to death, though.

I just checked the cap on my new (2 shaves) Grande: 17.98mm. Both shaves were a little bloody. I plan to keep trying with different blades and angles, but maybe this increased anger in the razor is too much for me.

I had a great shave today with my Fatip razor. This is the smoothest shaving razor I have ever used. It is a bit aggressive but if you have your technique down it will give you the best shave of your life. I have tried many of the other razors such as the Cobra, Mongoose, the ATT Slant, R41 and many many more but the Fatip is the smoothest and closest for me.

View attachment 624163

Agree 100% (with similar experience).The only other razor in my regular rotation is a Futur, with occasional SE or NEW for variaty sake.

I just checked the cap on my new (2 shaves) Grande: 17.98mm. Both shaves were a little bloody. I plan to keep trying with different blades and angles, but maybe this increased anger in the razor is too much for me.

I used to get cut until I realized that a steep angle (handle pointing to the floor), as steep as possible while still cutting, is what required for a very smooth shave with zero irritation.

The Fatip is a great razor. I have a Fatip Piccolo and it never lets me down. It was my first OC and I have been using it now for almost two years.

I have an another razor called the Roedter 1909. It's a Fatip but with a fabrication error, the blade doesn't bend at all so it's extremely aggressive. I have shaved with it a couple times and I must admit it's a great razor, within two passes I had a BBS. I couldn't find many reviews of it but people say the R41 looks like a kitten compared to it.

Top Bottom