What's new

The Big, Bad Fatip Grande

Ken, very nice review. i am still testing my FaTip. i will see what the verdict is.

Well...from what I've learned...YMMV!!

Like the r41 I recommend no pressure....the shave angle is closer to what I use in my NEW LC....and use a great blade and I think you will like it!!

Which FaTip did you order to get this head that you mated with the Tradere?

Have you tried a Joris? If so, how do you think the FaTip head on the Tradere handle compared?

Thanks.

My FaTip head came from the group buy earlier this year; I didn't buy a "Grande" I "created" one (obviously not really, just put a bigger heavier handle on it).

I do have a Joris and with the exception of the plating, the head appears identical to the FaTip. But the Joris has always seemed to deliver a smoother more comfortable shave than the FaTip. I wrote this off to hande weight which is why I tried the Tradere handle, which did in fact improve the shave. But appearances can be deceiving. Measured at the center of the arch in the cap the Joris is 1.46 mm while the FaTip is 1.94 mm. The bottom plates are the same. No idea why the thinner top would yield a better shave but for me it does. I discovered this because a Joris I had developed the characteristic dimple on the top of the head where the center post is attached and I was trying to understand why this defect wasn't reported with the FaTip as well. Finally, I find you have to pay attention to blade alignment with the razors as they don't seat securely until snugged down.

I d $Image 7.jpg$Image 8.jpg

Last edited:
Due to the comb I can't get steep angle hence used a shallow angle of around 20. With R41, I can use both steep and shallow without problem. What angle are you guys using for irritation free shave?

That's one of the things I like about the Fatip. As Ken says, the angle is intuitive - it either shaves or it doesn't shave. Around 20 degrees sounds about right - and that's the kind of angle I prefer with OCs generally, so the Fatip angle fits in with my normal approach anyway.

And I also found the sweet spot for the R41 pretty easily. My approach with a new razor is always to start with the cap flat on my face, then increase the angle until it feels right. With the R41, I got to around that 20 degrees point, and then it was just a case of... "Oh yes, that's amazing!"

It is an exceptional value and a great price!! there was a group buy here in Jan of this year and they were going for $45...see thread here.

I find the shave angle of both the fatip and the Muhle R41 very intuitive....the razor "tells you" what is best....but some don't seem to get that and run into issues.

If you are looking for a great brush that won't set you back a arm and a leg, try the Vie-Long horse hair
Another brush getting alot of love for the dollar value is the Muhle Sivertip Fibre....I know that it has become one of alex's favorite brushes, there is a pass around thread located here.

Awesome. I wonder how long it will take to get to GA from the UK?

Yeah, I know what you are say'n. I did a little reading before I pulled the trigger on the R41. I almost did not buy it. The thing that got my attention was the "close shave" in the good reviews vs the "too aggressive and harsh" in the bad reviews. You loved it or hated it. Hmmm.

There had to be a reason that these folks (in the bad reviews) were not getting a good shave. Then it hit me, "operator error". You tell someone how to do something that is easy, affective and effecient, they will find a way to muck it up.
One guy was complaining that the head was to dificult to remove, take apart and install a blade.....For Real? After weeding out the irrelevent reviews, most users (including me) liked liked the R41.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Later

That's one of the things I like about the Fatip. As Ken says, the angle is intuitive - it either shaves or it doesn't shave. Around 20 degrees sounds about right - and that's the kind of angle I prefer with OCs generally, so the Fatip angle fits in with my normal approach anyway.

And I also found the sweet spot for the R41 pretty easily. My approach with a new razor is always to start with the cap flat on my face, then increase the angle until it feels right. With the R41, I got to around that 20 degrees point, and then it was just a case of... "Oh yes, that's amazing!"

Thanks for confirming the angle (yeah- its intuitive, but I think my error was pressure and overbuffing).
I will return to it with astra sp in the next two days (currently, letting the irritation heals). I am certain it will be as great a shave as R41 (which I have been enjoying these many months).

makes it look less shabby next to my Joris...

The Joris finishing & plating are nothing short of gorgeous. Since I'm going to mate the Tradere handle with the head when it arrives I've been contemplating asking Bob (BRW) to make-up a handle with the FaTip thread specs as the OP suggested. The FaTip handles are many things, but beautiful is not one of them. I think the classic age-old design of the FaTip deserves something a bit less industrial looking than the Ikon or Tradere handles.

The Joris finishing & plating are nothing short of gorgeous. Since I'm going to mate the Tradere handle with the head when it arrives I've been contemplating asking Bob (BRW) to make-up a handle with the FaTip thread specs as the OP suggested. The FaTip handles are many things, but beautiful is not one of them. I think the classic age-old design of the FaTip deserves something a bit less industrial looking than the Ikon or Tradere handles.

The Ikon Bulldog handle is certainly a step up from the Fatip supplied handle:
$Screen Shot 2012-05-06 at 10.00.11 PM.jpg
A BRW handle would be even better again!

(Like you, I'm reserving my Tradere handle for it's own Tradere head).

proxy.php

I've been using the FaTip piccolo for about a week. My most aggressive razor for sure, but a very smoooth razor. I'm really digging it. The wide teeth make for easy cleaning in between passes and allows a lot of soap to cushion the blade.

Great review!!

I'm so happy to see a thread on the Fatip! I grabbed one a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! I would say it is most comparable to my Senator. Almost as aggressive as the r41 but a much more smooth feeling to the shave. I ordered the Nickel as well and I really like the color. I did have a small imperfection/speck on the head of the razor, but nothing worth complaining about. This is a definite in my rotation now. One of the best low priced razors on the market for sure!

proxy.php

I've been using the FaTip piccolo for about a week. My most aggressive razor for sure, but a very smoooth razor. I'm really digging it. The wide teeth make for easy cleaning in between passes and allows a lot of soap to cushion the blade.

Great review!!

Very nice, I just ordered the Piccolo. This will be my second FaTip. I'll probably replace the handle like I did with my first. Last time Ikon, this time... (yes, I'm thinking of copying Face&Head and looking in to a BRW!!!)

I'm so happy to see a thread on the Fatip! I grabbed one a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! I would say it is most comparable to my Senator. Almost as aggressive as the r41 but a much more smooth feeling to the shave. I ordered the Nickel as well and I really like the color. I did have a small imperfection/speck on the head of the razor, but nothing worth complaining about. This is a definite in my rotation now. One of the best low priced razors on the market for sure!

Whats funny, is other companies have used the same head....heck in the case of the Muhle...the whole razor and sold it at a premium price!!! The Fatip is a great value! for under $40 shipped how do you beat it???

I had been interested in one and when I found the source to order one here did so, getting the nickle plated grande.

It's a bit more aggressive than my slant and nowhere near near as aggressive as the R41 which I had been having problems with. I did pull the R41 out again this morning and it did quite well. I think because I was much more cautious about pressure and angle. Right now the R 41 would not be my razor of choice to take on a trip as the only razor available.

Top Bottom