What's new

The Alden Indy 405

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As discussed elsewhere in The Hab, I’ve been purging my shoe collection.

After selling off both my Dr. Martens and Red Wing Iron Rangers, I needed a boot that would fill that void in my collection.

And that boot arrived today:

The Indy 405 from Alden.

I’ve had my eyes on these for years. The 405 certainly presents a more “mature” silhouette than the Dr. Martens as well as a “dressier” look than the more rugged looking Iron Rangers.

In other words, they are just what I was looking for at this stage of the game.

I’m looking forward to breaking these in and (hopefully) developing a beautiful patina over time.
E167B1B8-76CB-4CDC-843A-3D635F3ADD22.jpeg
22859A89-81A0-439F-975B-4389B2BE8DDC.jpeg
2AB7D91B-DED5-4386-80BF-F0640431DBFE.jpeg
93B11B94-6F9D-47D3-B2CF-9697DEA11636.jpeg
DE39F44C-4608-47A2-8FD4-6A5A990EA737.jpeg
8B1FDB96-FAC2-4B21-B7FE-330A8269A179.jpeg

2CEA05C8-D4C0-4DCE-A4C0-06A0647BEE65.jpeg

Compare all three.

A3370C07-2178-4CA1-A1B7-C773FE3405F2.jpeg

760A5348-6E75-445B-8781-E97DEA2AAD04.jpeg

B2E4FCAF-468C-4CAB-9C36-6E508B9D14F6.jpeg

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Love it! I’ve come to the opinion that the Alden Indy might be the most perfect boot. Impeccably constructed. Extremely versatile style. It will work anywhere on the boot spectrum from actual work all the way to wearing with a suit. Plus, Indiana Jones. Nothing cooler. They should serve you well. Congrats!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Nice. Mine needed little to no breaking in. I've been wearing them for 9 years and they still look like they did after 6 months. Great boots! Enjoy them.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Beautiful! Great color. The heel shape is nice as well. What’s the sole made of?

The sole is a Neoprene Cork Outsole which was the same sole that the Iron Rangers had before Red Wing changed it a few years back to a Vibram 430 Mini-Lug Sole.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Mine are actually 403's in chromexcel. All Indy boots get rave reviews.

I definitely wrestled between the 403 and 405. Both look great.

I also ordered a pair of 54-inch flat waxed laces in black from TSM to see what they look like on the 405s in contrast to the brown cotton laces that come with them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I definitely wrestled between the 403 and 405. Both look great.

I also ordered a pair of 54-inch flat waxed laces in black from TSM to see what they look like on the 405s in contrast to the brown cotton laces that come with them.
Pictures if you like them, please.

The brown laces that came with my Indies were soft and porous enough that the hooks could pierce them; difficult to deal with. The Alden store in DC replaced them with flat-waxed laces that are much better--never catch in the hooks, easier to tie tightly, and just look better.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The brown laces that came with my Indies were soft and porous enough that the hooks could pierce them; difficult to deal with. The Alden store in DC replaced them with flat-waxed laces that are much better--never catch in the hooks, easier to tie tightly, and just look better.

Thanks for that. I noticed that The Shoe Mart only sold the flat waxed laces in black and not brown.

Is that the case with the laces you received?

Thanks for that. I noticed that The Shoe Mart only sold the flat waxed laces in black and not brown.

Is that the case with the laces you received?
My Alden laces for Indie boot are what I will call "charcoal."

BTW, enjoyed your posts about disposing of your shoe treasures. I am even older (octogenarian) and find myself appreciating and wearing high quality shoes. Looking sharp is good whether business or casual.

As for Jack Purcells, all of us swore by them and played tennis in them on clay courts in the 50s--I think they were made by Goodrich then. The current models are mere imitations.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The flat waxed laces arrived today and I think they dress up the Indy a bit more than the more casual cotton laces. I like them both but I think I’m going with the waxed (I mean) cotton laces… for now. :yesnod:

8F70655C-C17D-4ECA-BE10-9C92BB578AA9.jpeg
07BDE581-04C8-4FF6-88A4-6BCDA80C84F2.jpeg

Last edited:
My 403's came with laces that look like the ones on the left, which I really like. Congrats on picking these up. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned, and like others have said, look as nice know as when I bought them.

Congrats, those look awesome. I’ve had my eye on a pair of Grant Stone Brass boots. They are very similar style moc toes. A lot of people will dismiss Grant Stone for not being USA made, but supposedly their quality is top tier and they are considerably less expensive

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Congrats, those look awesome. I’ve had my eye on a pair of Grant Stone Brass boots. They are very similar style moc toes. A lot of people will dismiss Grant Stone for not being USA made, but supposedly their quality is top tier and they are considerably less expensive

I have read plenty of rave reviews about the quality of Grant Stone shoes/boots. Good luck.

Top Bottom