What's new

Iron Rangers vs. Alden Indy vs. Wolverine 1000 mile vs. Other

Since I could try them on, I went with a pair of RW Heritage Blacksmiths in the copper rough and tough leather. I’ve been trying to break them in during my last couple of ER shifts and it’s been murder. Tonight, however, has been much better and I expect another couple of weeks should about have them licked.

9A399434-CC2A-43DB-A143-597F4875BD75.jpeg

Looking at a pair of Nick’s next.

Those look great! Did you get any leather cream to go with them? I always oil my boots weekly when breaking them in.

Those look great! Did you get any leather cream to go with them? I always oil my boots weekly when breaking them in.

I purchased the Red Wing all natural leather conditioner. Supposedly, it won’t darken the leather.

And thanks, I think the boots look pretty sharp, too.

Since I could try them on, I went with a pair of RW Heritage Blacksmiths in the copper rough and tough leather. I’ve been trying to break them in during my last couple of ER shifts and it’s been murder. Tonight, however, has been much better and I expect another couple of weeks should about have them licked.

So I really do like my Iron Rangers. But I have to be honest.. they are more of a fashion boot for me. I would not want to walk or stand in them all day. Even after break in, they're not going to beat modern orthopedic footbeds. This is why I am getting a pair of Nicks. I went for the high arch logger heel fitted for a Spenco insole. These will be my travel/walking boots.

So I really do like my Iron Rangers. But I have to be honest.. they are more of a fashion boot for me. I would not want to walk or stand in them all day. Even after break in, they're not going to beat modern orthopedic footbeds. This is why I am getting a pair of Nicks. I went for the high arch logger heel fitted for a Spenco insole. These will be my travel/walking boots.

I’m following your thread closely for several reasons. Overall, Nick’s boots seem to get very positive reviews online and I’d love to have a pair of high quality leather boots with arch support given I have high arches.

I’m very curious how well the boot you are being sent to try on will fit after submitting your fit guide. I’m also curious if the size of Nick’s you end up purchasing will be the same as your IRs, though if I read the Nick’s website correctly, if an insole is added, the boot is increased in width by one size.

I’m enjoying the Blacksmiths and I plan to use these as my “work around the house boots.” I plan to use the Nicks in a similar fashion as what you have described and I appreciate you sharing your detailed purchasing experience with us.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As a retired nurse myself, my hat is off to you for breaking those boots in at work. You da man, and thanks for your service.

I don’t own Alden’s but have iron rangers and 1000 miles. Red wings are so heavy it’s rediculous while the wolverines are probably half the weight. Sizing is just insane compared to my Allen Edmonds. I wear an 11.5d in AE and my boots needed an insert in both pairs to snug up a 10.5 D.

I don’t own Alden’s but have iron rangers and 1000 miles. Red wings are so heavy it’s rediculous while the wolverines are probably half the weight. Sizing is just insane compared to my Allen Edmonds. I wear an 11.5d in AE and my boots needed an insert in both pairs to snug up a 10.5 D.
I had to order a full size down as well. I don't understand why the shoe manufacturers just don't follow the Brannock device sizing. It would help online retailers avoid returns.

For shoes designed to fit tight till break in, they could make note of it.

Really it's time all clothing sizing standards were standardized and normalized. It's in the best interest of everyone involved.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I wear a size 12 in all my shoes. When I got my RW Iron Rangers, the salesman tried putting me in a size 11 telling me that they would stretch out. They were uncomfortable to the point of being painful. The 11.5s I ended up with were snug and only slightly uncomfortable. As they broke in they became comfortable but another issue developed when the doubled leather on the toe cap started to crease. The crease was rubbing across the top of my big toe. It improved over time but it probably took a good year before it softened up enough to where I didn't feel it anymore.

The machine in the store recommended an 8.5-9D. The 8.5D was sloppy once I got my foot in the boot, but the 8D fit nicely, though a little snug. Over the last 5 days, the boots have become increasingly more comfortable. I have a little wiggle room for my toes but the fit isn’t sloppy. I feel confident the 8D is the right fit for me, but it’s very different from most of my shoes.

The exception is my pair of Wolverine 1000 mile oxfords. I wear an 8D in those as well and they fit very well.

View attachment 935569

The boots look great!! :a14::a14:

View attachment 935569

I have that pair as well. Great boot, but heavy as concrete. I couldn’t imagine wearing them for anything more than a casual work day or night out.

Not an expert but I'd share my thoughts. I have those three and all of them would serve you well. They are goodyear welted and should serve you for a long time.

The Wolverine might be the most dressy of the three if I'm just basing it on the soles which is leather and the toe box being slimmer compared to the other two. I'd say the looks of the 1000 miles is closer to Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill (another very good boots that I like, and still dressier than the 1000 mile, the dainite option is also a plus)

If you're going for the brown 1000 mile, it's most likely made with a Horween's chrome excel leather. Though they patina really nicely and they look gorgoeus, they tend to wrinkle and bruise easily. Same goes for the Indy 403 which is also made with CXL.

The Indy 405 (which was the original Indy model number in Indiana Jones) is a little bit on the tan-orange side but made with calf leather which I find to be more resilient in terms of keeping it's original look. Both are gorgeous and I really enjoy the support of the Indy's.

The common configuration for both 403 and 405 uses a neo-cork sole. They will last a long time, and not as slippery as leather soles which you'll find with the 1000 miles.

Out of the three, my favorite is still the Indy. There's just something with the way they constructed the shoe, and the moc toe design that appeals to me.

Iron Ranger's is a cap toe boot, so if you're missing a robust, cap toe boot in your collection, I highly recommend the IR's. The lugged sole can also hold it's own when it's slippery out. Not the best but it's an upgrade from their previous configuration. The leather they use tends to be thick, and comes from their own tannery if I'm not mistaken. My favorite IR's are the copper rough and tough.

If I'd need to choose, my least favorite of the three are the Wolverine's. It's nice, and I like it it hence why it's my collection, but out of the three, I feel the other two is tougher, more robust and with superior construction.

With that said, you can't go wrong with all three. They all work well with jeans and chino's, and can be smart casual with the right combo.

With that said, I wouldn't use any of these boots for heavy duty work. I'm sure they can take a beating but they are more fashion boots rather than work boots, at least in my opinion.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it in good health.

Edit:

Further along the thread I just saw you went with blacksmiths. These are great. Congrats on your new boots!

Not an expert but I'd share my thoughts. I have those three and all of them would serve you well. They are goodyear welted and should serve you for a long time.

The Wolverine might be the most dressy of the three if I'm just basing it on the soles which is leather and the toe box being slimmer compared to the other two. I'd say the looks of the 1000 miles is closer to Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill (another very good boots that I like, and still dressier than the 1000 mile, the dainite option is also a plus)

If you're going for the brown 1000 mile, it's most likely made with a Horween's chrome excel leather. Though they patina really nicely and they look gorgoeus, they tend to wrinkle and bruise easily. Same goes for the Indy 403 which is also made with CXL.

The Indy 405 (which was the original Indy model number in Indiana Jones) is a little bit on the tan-orange side but made with calf leather which I find to be more resilient in terms of keeping it's original look. Both are gorgeous and I really enjoy the support of the Indy's.

The common configuration for both 403 and 405 uses a neo-cork sole. They will last a long time, and not as slippery as leather soles which you'll find with the 1000 miles.

Out of the three, my favorite is still the Indy. There's just something with the way they constructed the shoe, and the moc toe design that appeals to me.

Iron Ranger's is a cap toe boot, so if you're missing a robust, cap toe boot in your collection, I highly recommend the IR's. The lugged sole can also hold it's own when it's slippery out. Not the best but it's an upgrade from their previous configuration. The leather they use tends to be thick, and comes from their own tannery if I'm not mistaken. My favorite IR's are the copper rough and tough.

If I'd need to choose, my least favorite of the three are the Wolverine's. It's nice, and I like it it hence why it's my collection, but out of the three, I feel the other two is tougher, more robust and with superior construction.

With that said, you can't go wrong with all three. They all work well with jeans and chino's, and can be smart casual with the right combo.

With that said, I wouldn't use any of these boots for heavy duty work. I'm sure they can take a beating but they are more fashion boots rather than work boots, at least in my opinion.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it in good health.

Edit:

Further along the thread I just saw you went with blacksmiths. These are great. Congrats on your new boots!

Thank you. I will eventually pick up the Indy’s, but I absolutely love the Blacksmiths in the Copper Rough and Tough.

Thank you. I will eventually pick up the Indy’s, but I absolutely love the Blacksmiths in the Copper Rough and Tough.

I hear you, they are really great and also a looker like it's IR brother. CRT is such a great leather, you made a great choice. Enjoy

I hear you, they are really great and also a looker like it's IR brother. CRT is such a great leather, you made a great choice. Enjoy

Thank you. The other RedWings I’ve been eyeing are the 8083’s, the IRs in rough out leather.

View attachment 935569

Good choice on your boots, they look great.

I have a pair of the 1000 mile boots which I love but think it's a bit silly they don't come with a sole guard of some type. I had one added but I don't exactly get it.

Thank you. The other RedWings I’ve been eyeing are the 8083’s, the IRs in rough out leather.

I have the IR Muleskinner. It's beautiful, and the color pops, it works very well with jeans. Downside for me is I'm more worried when it rains. I am sure it can handle it, but I just don't feel as confident when I wear boots with more conventional leathers.

As a dress shoe and boot fan, I can only suggest to go and get all those that strikes your fancy. It's another rabbit hole though I am afraid.

Keep an eye out for sales, or even seconds at STP if you're interested to try them out. I see them pop up from time to time. There's a couple of websites where Red Wings 1st used to be on sale quite regularly but I think they cracked down on it or something and they no longer carry the brand unfortunately.

Top Bottom