What's new

Red Wing Work Chukka (3141)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
On the heels (no pun intended) of the discussion of Danner’s Pine Grove Chukka by @dontwo , it rekindled my interest in the Red Wing Work Chukka, Model #3141 seen here, which is a similar style to the Danner boot.
IMG_7002.jpeg

After watching a bunch of YT vids and reading a bunch of reviews, I pulled the trigger on a pair of these work chukkas in the briar oil-slick leather.

The common assessment of these boots is that they have a narrow toe box, so I went with a 10.5 EE.

I previously owned a pair of the Red Wing Iron Rangers 8111, which I subsequently sold during the Great Shoe Purge of 2021, and they were a size 10D but the toe box was wider than this chukka.

(Seller’s Remorse Photo of the Iron Ranger 😉)
IMG_7003.jpeg

Although the Size 10D in the IR was fine at that time when I purchased them some 15 years ago, as recent discussions in various other footwear threads have mentioned, the dimensions of our feet change over time.

And while my shoe preference of late has been suede chukka/desert boots with crepe soles with the likes of the Clark Desert Boot, the Astorflex Greenflex, the Luther by Sanders, as well as some of the offerings by Velasca, this leather chukka with the Atlas Tred outsole, will add some variety to the shoe collection.

IMG_7004.jpeg
IMG_7006.jpeg
IMG_7005.jpeg

Now hopefully the sizing works out. 🙄😀

When I get ‘em… you’ll see ‘em. 👍

Anyone have a pair? I’d be interested in hearing your experiences with these boots.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
On the heels (no pun intended) of the discussion of Danner’s Pine Grove Chukka by @dontwo , it rekindled my interest in the Red Wing Work Chukka, Model #3141 seen here, which is a similar style to the Danner boot.
View attachment 1759641

After watching a bunch of YT vids and reading a bunch of reviews, I pulled the trigger on a pair of these work chukkas in the briar oil-slick leather.

The common assessment of these boots is that they have a narrow toe box, so I went with a 10.5 EE.

I previously owned a pair of the Red Wing Iron Rangers 8111, which I subsequently sold during the Great Shoe Purge of 2021, and they were a size 10D but the toe box was wider than this chukka.

(Seller’s Remorse Photo of the Iron Ranger 😉)
View attachment 1759651

Although the Size 10D in the IR was fine at that time when I purchased them some 15 years ago, as recent discussions in various other footwear threads have mentioned, the dimensions of our feet change over time.

And while my shoe preference of late has been suede chukka/desert boots with crepe soles with the likes of the Clark Desert Boot, the Astorflex Greenflex, the Luther by Sanders, as well as some of the offerings by Velasca, this leather chukka with the Atlas Tred outsole, will add some variety to the shoe collection.

View attachment 1759648View attachment 1759647View attachment 1759646

Now hopefully the sizing works out. 🙄😀

When I get ‘em… you’ll see ‘em. 👍

Anyone have a pair? I’d be interested in hearing your experiences with these boots.
Why not going to the Redwing store and have the size checked out. There is one on Rt 22. in Green Brook and one in Union.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Why not going to the Redwing store and have the size checked out. There is one on Rt 22. in Green Brook and one in Union.

I was going to do that. I’ve been to the GB store before. But the sale offered by Zappos was ending at midnight so I had to act fast.

Got $40 off the regular price which isn’t bad considering these boots don’t go on sale all
that often and the Zappos return/exchange process is pretty easy.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I was going to do that. I’ve been to the GB store before. But the sale offered by Zappos was ending at midnight so I had to act fast.

Got $40 off the regular price which isn’t bad considering these boots don’t go on sale all
that often and the Zappos return/exchange process is pretty easy.
Just go to the store and get the proper size figured out, then buy where you get best deal. Seems like you got a deal with Zappos.
I am quite amazed how many of these stores are in our area, GB, Union, N Brunswick, Edison etc.

On man, those look very nice! Interested in hearing if you like them and how they fit.

I've looked at those boots before, but they look so similar to my old pair of Faconnable chukkas that I haven't thought about the Red Wings too seriously. The Faconnables are very comfortable and are quite well made in Portugal with full leather linings. I think I bought them maybe 10 years ago....probably at Nordstrom Rack. Heavily discounted Faconnable was one of my favorite things to hunt for in those days. :laugh:

I found an old amazon listing with good pictures:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
On man, those look very nice! Interested in hearing if you like them and how they fit.

I've looked at those boots before, but they look so similar to my old pair of Faconnable chukkas that I haven't thought about the Red Wings too seriously. The Faconnables are very comfortable and are quite well made in Portugal with full leather linings. I think I bought them maybe 10 years ago....probably at Nordstrom Rack. Heavily discounted Faconnable was one of my favorite things to hunt for in those days. :laugh:

I found an old amazon listing with good pictures:

Yes, the Faconnable boot is nearly identical.

How have they held up over the years?

I hope you cared for them using a different method then suggested in the listing.

IMG_7016.jpeg

😳

The Faconnable boots have held up very well, but they have a lot of miles on them so the soles have definitely worn down some. I do wish that the leather didn't show scuffs so easily, but they will look new again after applying some Red Wing Leather Cream. The Faconnable clothing I bought back then was always top notch, and I've been very happy with these boots too.

Wish I knew they were machine wash! :laugh:

IMG_9480.JPG

Reading this right as I have decided to send my Thursday Boot Moc Toe back, they feel just too short. Man you just opened a can of worm with this thread ...

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Reading this right as I have decided to send my Thursday Boot Moc Toe back, they feel just too short. Man you just opened a can of worm with this thread ...

Are these going to be replaced with a different size or a different model altogether?

IMG_7066.jpeg

Are these going to be replaced with a different size or a different model altogether?

View attachment 1761501
This is a great question to which I do not have an answer yet.

The sole is cleaned up, they are packed back in their box and all I need to do is print the return label at work on Tuesday.

I really like the toe box size compared to other Moc Toe. I tried on some thorogood this morning at Boot Barn while I was picking up a new brush and some brick 4 conditioner for the daughter's Xmas present and frankly I was not a fan.

As I got back in late (stopped by AMC to watch a Xmass classic on the big screen (hello Die Hard )) I saw your post above, checked the time and decided to make a beeline to the local RedWing store which is 2 miles from my place but close at 5 and is closed on Sunday. With less than 30 minutes to get toward it, gas up on the way to not be stranded on the side of the road, I just had some times to check the boots around, I was not gonna buy anything and for sure not gonna ask the sales guy to get anything out to try 15 minutes before closing, that would just be wrong.

I liked the chukka look, they had the 3137 on display and that thing was beat up yet looked great but dang the insole felt like concrete on the thumb test and the complete lack of lining inside is a turn off for me at this point. I get it this is a future of the style but kind of a stop for me at this point.

I checked out the Irish Setter and MocToe again, and I would rather have the lower profile Thursday Boot for sure.

Now for the Thursday boot, I like the color I choose (Adobe Arizona) a lot, I believe you have some boots in this color if I am not mistaken. But I would rather have them in a lug sole rather than wedge (which they do not offer). So I am gonna wait for my refund and sleep on it a bit.

Meanwhile I cross path with an old manager of mine in the restroom at work this week that was sporting a pair of Iron Ranger in Black Matte 8084 model if I am not mistaken and they were gorgeous, which lead to a slightly awkward conversation about shoes inside said restroom. I had been thinking about a president model in rugged black matte from Thursday boot as well and frankly that rekindled that flame too, so did the blacksmith of the same color at the redwing store this afternoon.

So many possibilities ... I will let the holiday pass and will look after it again in January. After all, an awfully smart guy make us work on Monday January 1st. That would be a pain in any circumstance but becomes hilarious when you think that my job is to support folks in our retail stores and that said retail stores will be closed on that day . Hey if they want to pay me watching TV and being paid overtime doing so , fine by me after all this is what I was gonna do anyway, that will give some more pesos to spend on those boots.

Anyway let me order some Pink Pompadour shoe cream for my daughters pink boots, this is the last of the Xmas shopping I have to do.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
After returning home to NJ earlier today from sunnier climes…
IMG_7099.jpeg

I found the Red Wing Work Chukka waiting for me.
IMG_7118.jpeg
IMG_7117.jpeg

After trying them on, I quickly discovered that although the EE appears to be the right width for this boot (which tapers towards a somewhat narrow toe box) , the 10.5 is definitely too big for me.

I think the Size 10 will be perfect (which was the same length as my Iron Rangers but in a D width and a wider toe box than this boot).
IMG_7113.jpeg
IMG_7114.jpeg
IMG_7115.jpeg
IMG_7120.jpeg

IMG_7116.jpeg

A quick call to Zappos and an easy exchange was made for the 10 EE. They should be here Saturday. :thumbup1:

After getting home from the airport, Mrs. Gold saw the box from Zappos in the mail and inquired what was in the box. I told her it was a pair of boots.

She said: I see you picked up right where you left off. :glare:

I said: Awww, c’mon Honey. Don’t break my….

IMG_7098.jpeg

She’s still adorable. 😉😎😀

The first pair of nice boots my son bought after going through his Doc Marten's years was a pair of 3141's. They've developed a really nice patina. Enjoy.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The exchanged Red Wing Work chukka arrived yesterday in 10 EE after having originally ordered it the 10.5 EE, which was a bit too large

The 10 EE is definitely a better fit and the EE is the right width for this style since the toe box does taper.

The footbed is not cushioned whatsoever although the TRED outsole does provide some cushion.

I did insert a very thin insole which provides a bit more cushion as well as a slightly better fit in the roomier EE width.

Use of the insole will depend on the thickness of the sock being worn.

Let the break-in period begin! 😀

IMG_7186.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 1761501
Well, I decided to make a return for replacement, and decided with a 1/2 size up rather than a wider model in the same size. They should be in tomorrow

Now that I have this taking care of more or less, I am thinking about the next pair. And the more I think about it the more a chukka in black seems like the likely next indulgence. I do not have any dressed black shoes anymore and want something that can be dressed up or down, and the chelsea seems too informal for me

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Well, I decided to make a return for replacement, and decided with a 1/2 size up rather than a wider model in the same size. They should be in tomorrow

Now that I have this taking care of more or less, I am thinking about the next pair. And the more I think about it the more a chukka in black seems like the likely next indulgence. I do not have any dressed black shoes anymore and want something that can be dressed up or down, and the chelsea seems too informal for me

Sounds right. While a wider shoe in the same size may fit just as well, sometimes the wider silhouette can give the shoe a “clunky” look across the vamp. With a half size up, you’ll know exactly what you’re getting.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Walked around town for a few hours as the break-in period continues. Today, I wore a slightly less beefier sock, so I put a very thin insole in the boot for a more secure fit.
IMG_7418.jpeg

Top Bottom