What's new

Red Wing Work Chukka vs. Golden Fox Arizona II Chukka

download.jpg

chukka_boot(1).jpg
chukka_1(1).jpg

I'm in the market for a chukka boot and I've been going back and forth between the Red Wing Work Chukka and the Golden Fox Arizona Chukka.

Red Wing Chukka - I own a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers and I love them. I'm already sold on the quality and the heritage of Red Wing boots so it would be great to get another pair. I like the "prestige" factor. I'd be wearing the chukkas for day to day casual wear so I know they would easily last many years if not decades. The down side is the cost. I already know that you are paying for quality but $260 is a big hit! I love the look of them but the light colored soles kind of make me think twice about them but by no means are they a deal breaker.

Golden Fox Chukka - I like the look of them and they would offer me the option of black soles if wanted them. They are lesser known but seem to review well. I'm sure they are not of the same quality as the Red Wings. One of the big pluses is that they seem to be of good quality and they cost less than half of what the Red Wing Chukkas cost - $120. I could buy two pair for less than the Red Wings. I'm pretty sure their life span would be less than what the Red Wings would be but would I get more enjoyment out of two pairs of Golden Fox chukkas or one of the Red Wings? Since they cost so much less than the Red Wings my expectations overall would be less.

I've gone back and forth trying to decide and nearly pulled the trigger on one or the other over the last couple of weeks. My mind has changed from week to week. What would you do and what is your line of thinking? Would you suggest something else altogether? I don't want anything that looks too formal or dressy, I want something casual with no more than 6 holes made of quality leather.

Last edited:
You can get Red Wing chukkas at Nordstrom Rack for a considerable markdown. I'm not in the market for a chukka right now or I would have picked up a pair.

I have a pair of Red Wings that still look new after 5 years and one set of new soles!! :a14: :a14:

I have not tried Golden Fox, so cannot comment on those.

You can get Red Wing chukkas at Nordstrom Rack for a considerable markdown. I'm not in the market for a chukka right now or I would have picked up a pair.

They have really great deals if you find a Red Wing style you like. I'd specifically want the charcoal work chukka so I doubt I'll ever see a pair in my size on the rack.

I have a pair of Red Wings that still look new after 5 years and one set of new soles!! :a14: :a14:

I have not tried Golden Fox, so cannot comment on those.

These are my RW Iron Rangers which are 3 months short of 5 years old. I had just saddle soaped and oiled them. They've gained character from wear but they still look pretty much like new. The soles are going to have to experience a lot more wear before I'd consider a re-sole. The soles have a lot of life left in them but I wish they had a tread. The smooth soles are worthless on packed snow and ice.

IMG_3053.JPG

View attachment 1043702

View attachment 1043699View attachment 1043701
I'm in the market for a chukka boot and I've been going back and forth between the Red Wing Work Chukka and the Golden Fox Arizona Chukka.

Red Wing Chukka - I own a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers and I love them. I'm already sold on the quality and the heritage of Red Wing boots so it would be great to get another pair. I like the "prestige" factor. I'd be wearing the chukkas for day to day casual wear so I know they would easily last many years if not decades. The down side is the cost. I already know that you are paying for quality but $260 is a big hit! I love the look of them but the light colored soles kind of make me think twice about them but by no means are they a deal breaker.

Golden Fox Chukka - I like the look of them and they would offer me the option of black soles if wanted them. They are lesser known but seem to review well. I'm sure they are not of the same quality as the Red Wings. One of the big pluses is that they seem to be of good quality and they cost less than half of what the Red Wing Chukkas cost - $120. I could buy two pair for less than the Red Wings. I'm pretty sure their life span would be less than what the Red Wings would be but would I get more enjoyment out of two pairs of Golden Fox chukkas or one of the Red Wings? Since they cost so much less than the Red Wings my expectations overall would be less.

I've gone back and forth trying to decide and nearly pulled the trigger on one or the other over the last couple of weeks. My mind has changed from week to week. What would you do and what is your line of thinking? Would you suggest something else altogether? I don't want anything that looks too formal or dressy, I want something casual with no more than 6 holes made of quality leather.

Let us know what you decide. I’m on a slightly different fence than you at the moment. I’m 100% sold on Redwings. I often drive by the factory store and have purchased RedWings there most of my adult life. Far longer than Redwings have been a fashion trend. I believe their quality is worth every penny.

The fence I’m in is deciding between Redwing chukka work vs weekenders. Every time I try them on I change my mind. Aaaarrrrgggggghhhh.

The more I think about it I think I'm leaning toward the Red Wing Work Chukka. I'm already sold on the Red Wing brand and they are of a known great quality and durability. The Golden Fox chukkas are an unknown brand, unknown quality and unknown durability. They are a LOT cheaper which is a big draw and what reviews there are would lead me to believe that it would probably be a safe gamble. Despite the cheaper price, I think I like the look of the Red Wings better. I know that pig skin lining in the Golden Fox chukka is going to wear a lot faster than the other leather so I know I wouldn't like it when it starts to tear or gets a hole in it even if it's not visible when wearing them.

Let us know what you decide. I’m on a slightly different fence than you at the moment. The fence I’m in is deciding between Redwing chukka work vs weekenders. Every time I try them on I change my mind. Aaaarrrrgggggghhhh.

I debated between the two for a while. The Work Chukka looks to have a roomier toe box than the Weekender which is what I prefer. I like that the Work Chukka has metal eyelets so you won't get those stretchy lace holes. I ultimately liked the look of the Work Chukka more and I think that they will look cooler when they have some wear and age on them. They look a bit tougher and more rugged.

Last edited:
Red Wing boots are always wonderful in my book. Not terribly expensive when they last and perform so long.

Red Wing boots are always wonderful in my book. Not terribly expensive when they last and perform so long.

This is an excellent way to think about it. I'm down to $60 a year so far on my Iron Rangers and they still pretty much look like new.

Top Bottom