What's new

The 2023: 1-Blade, 1-Week, Daily Shaving Adventure

Week 25 Ends: Blade is a Gillette Perma-Sharp from Russia.

Got to say, thus is a Great razor blade! Seven days, seven full shaves, zero complaints.

Some blades do not have the sharpness that is required to shave without excessive tugging. I get this.

I consider the PPI manufactured Perma-Sharp's to be in the next tier down from Feather. These would include BIC CP and Nacet's.

One issue that seems to be the biggest concern with Feather is that their sharpness only lasts a shave or two.

I admit, I am an easy to please shaver as far as sharpness goes. All my regular blades shave me easily.

But I find that these next tier blades are not only sharp for the first shave, they stay sharp throughout the week for me.

Some have expressed issues with smoothness, these second tier blades are very smooth to me.

The Perma-Sharp finished the week still sharp and still very smooth. Still good for more shaves.

proxy.php

A very impressive thing about these Perma-Sharp's is that they are only $9.46 per hundred on Amazon.

I think that is an excellent price for this quality of a razor blade.

Week 26 Begins: Blade is a Gillette Wilkinson Sword from India.

I have had excellent success with these blades before. They are currently only $6.03 per-hundred on Amazon.

proxy.php

For me, this puts thus blade into the stupid cheap price bracket. Not a lot of blades out there at this 6-cent price point!

We'll see if it goes the entire week..

Which, by the way, will mark halfway through the year when finished.

Week 26 Begins: Blade is a Gillette Wilkinson Sword from India.

I have had excellent success with these blades before. They are currently only $6.03 per-hundred on Amazon.

proxy.php

For me, this puts thus blade into the stupid cheap price bracket. Not a lot of blades out there at this 6-cent price point!

We'll see if it goes the entire week..

Which, by the way, will mark halfway through the year when finished.
I like those blades as well. They did well for me last time I used them. It will be interesting to see how they do for you.

I like those blades as well. They did well for me last time I used them. It will be interesting to see how they do for you.

I think this is perfect timing. Coming off a very successful week with the Perma-Sharp.

I typically use the R41 head or the Rocca R94. The efficiency doesn't bother me and I enjoy the close shaves.

But after the L6 crapped out, I moved over the the EJ DE89 for the week. The shaves were surprisingly good.

I decided to keep with the DE89 using the Gillette Wilkinson Sword. The first shave this morning was good. But, it was not as close as with the Perma-Sharp.

Tomorrow, I will move into high gear with the R41.

I think this is perfect timing. Coming off a very successful week with the Perma-Sharp.

I typically use the R41 head or the Rocca R94. The efficiency doesn't bother me and I enjoy the close shaves.

But after the L6 crapped out, I moved over the the EJ DE89 for the week. The shaves were surprisingly good.

I decided to keep with the DE89 using the Gillette Wilkinson Sword. The first shave this morning was good. But, it was not as close as with the Perma-Sharp.

Tomorrow, I will move into high gear with the R41.
Taking about the Lord L6. The RR UFO handle works great with it. Not sure if you have an RR razor but the handles seems to be the same threads as the Lord L6 head.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Week 25 Ends: Blade is a Gillette Perma-Sharp from Russia.

Got to say, thus is a Great razor blade! Seven days, seven full shaves, zero complaints.

Some blades do not have the sharpness that is required to shave without excessive tugging. I get this.

I consider the PPI manufactured Perma-Sharp's to be in the next tier down from Feather. These would include BIC CP and Nacet's.

One issue that seems to be the biggest concern with Feather is that their sharpness only lasts a shave or two.

I admit, I am an easy to please shaver as far as sharpness goes. All my regular blades shave me easily.

But I find that these next tier blades are not only sharp for the first shave, they stay sharp throughout the week for me.

Some have expressed issues with smoothness, these second tier blades are very smooth to me.

The Perma-Sharp finished the week still sharp and still very smooth. Still good for more shaves.

proxy.php

A very impressive thing about these Perma-Sharp's is that they are only $9.46 per hundred on Amazon.

I think that is an excellent price for this quality of a razor blade.
Perma-Sharp is one of my go-to blades in the Blackland Ti Blackbird, Lambda Athena and Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB razors.

After 5 shaves, I bin my DE blades - except the Feather, which is binned after 3 shaves.

Just finished off a week last night with the Lord Platinum Class blade. I have to say it was a fantastic blade for me. I think I had one DFS shave and the rest was smooth heavenly BBS shaves! The blade did not need any pushing to get that either. Stayed sharp and smooth the entire week. I had a full 7 shaves, 2 or 3-pass shaves with the blade. I used the RR GC .68-P, Lord L6 and I think I used the Gillette SuperSpeed TTO as well. I will try the Lord Platinum blade at some point as well and compare how it is to the "Class" version.

I will start my tuck reduction project starting tonight. I have so many partial tucks of blades from my sample pack and I need to use them up. Most are fine blades and works well for me so I can't just toss them. I will use up each tuck 3017 style. I will be using each blade for a week as long, as they hold up, and try to use them with as many razors as possible. Now my razor selection is not large compared to others so I will get some repeats. I will be trying to use each razor at least 3 shaves in a row. There will therefore be blades repeating from week to week, but still 1-week, 1-blade.

#1 tuck reduction blade: KCG

Taking about the Lord L6. The RR UFO handle works great with it. Not sure if you have an RR razor but the handles seems to be the same threads as the Lord L6 head.

Interesting to know. But it is also more interesting to know that the RR does not use a standard thread on their handles!

I was thinking about a GC 68-P purchase in the future or maybe the new in-between model? Still, Don't really need a more "efficient" razor, already having the R94 and the R41 head.

If I do, I will order an extra handle or two.

I see that they were selling Nacet's for $9.99. Might pick up a couple hundred due to inclusive order shipping costs.

#1 tuck reduction blade: KCG

I have a pack of ten blades arriving tomorrow. I added them on to an order. They are the only blades I do not buy in quantity, because of their high price. However, I do like to keep a few around for comparison purposes.

Did shave #2 today with the Gillette Wilkinson Sword and the R41 head. Unlike shave #1, this was very smooth! Still feels smooth eleven hours later. I was doubting the blade yesterday.

I have a pack of ten blades arriving tomorrow. I added them on to an order. They are the only blades I do not buy in quantity, because of their high price. However, I do like to keep a few around for comparison purposes.

Did shave #2 today with the Gillette Wilkinson Sword and the R41 head. Unlike shave #1, this was very smooth! Still feels smooth eleven hours later. I was doubting the blade yesterday.
Yeah I don't really intend the KCG blades to become a regular user for me. Just using up the tuck. I have 3 blades left.

I like the Gillette Wilkinson Sword they work well for me.

Week 26 Ends: Blade is a Gillette Wilkinson Sword from India.

Ended up going the full 7-days. The lot two with the Rocca R94 Stainless.

A little shaky start, but that could well be me! But a true weeks worth of decent shaves for 6-Cents.

And with this Week #26 coming to a close, we mark the halfway point of this year..

I expected to list the blades that didn't make the full week, separate from the ones that did.

But... They all went the distance. At the halfway mark the success rate is 100%!

Here is the master list (so far), though others may and likely will be added. Bold text indicates a blade that was used.

IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Astra Superior Platinum (Week 14)
Astra Superior Stainless (Week 23)
BIC Chrome Platinum (Week 19)

Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco ST300 (Week 1)
Dorco ST301 (Week 17)

Dorco Prime Platinum
Feather New Hi-Stainless (Week 11)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (Week 9)
Gillette Minora (Week 16)
Gillette Nacet (Week 4)
Gillette PII Twin Blade Cartridge India (Week 13/18/24)
Gillette Perma-Sharp Russia (Week 25)

Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
King C. Gillette
Lol Titanium
Lord Platinum Super Stainless (Week 6)
Parker Premium Platinum
Personna Lab Blue (Week 2)
Shark Platinum
Sharp Hi Chromium (Week 7)
Silver Star
Super Max Diamond Edge
Super Max Super Stainless (Week 8)
Treet 7 days Platinum
Treet Carbon Steel "Black Beauty"
Treet Classic (Week 22)
Treet Dura Sharp (Week 10)

Treet King
Treet A Treet For Your Face (Week 21)
Treet Platinum
Treet Silver Carbon Steel (Week 12)
Treet Trig Silver Edge (Week 20)
Voskhod (Week 5)
Wilkinson Sword Germany (Week 15)
Wilkinson Sword Gillette India (Week 26)
Wizamet Super Iridium (Week 3)

LISTING IN WEEK ORDER:

#01 - Dorco ST300 (1/1)
#02 - Personna Lab Blue (1/8)
#03 - Wizamet Super Iridium (1/15)
#04 - Gillette Nacet (1/22)
#05 - Voskhod (1/29)
#06 - Lord Platinum Super Stainless (2/5)
#07 - Sharp Hi Chromium (2/12)
#08 - Super Max Super Stainless (2/19)
#09 - Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (2/26)
#10 - Treet Dura Sharp (3/5)
#11 - Feather New Hi-Stainless (3/12)
#12 - Treet Silver Carbon Steel (3/19)
#13 - Gillette PII Twin Blade Cartridge India (1) (3/26)
#14 - Astra Superior Platinum (4/2)
#15 - Wilkinson Sword Germany (4/9)
#16 - Gillette Minora (4/16)
#17 - Dorco ST301 (4/23)
#18 - Gillette PII Twin Blade Cartridge India (2) (4/30)
#19 BIC Chrome Platinum (5/7)
#20 - Treet Trig Silver Edge (5/14)
#21 - Treet A Treet For Your Face (5/21)
#22 - Treet Classic (5/28)
#23 - Astra Superior Stainless (6/4)
#24 - Gillette PII Twin Blade Cartridge India (3) (6/11)
#25 - Gillette Perma-Sharp Russia (6/18)
#26 - Wilkinson Sword Gillette India (6/25)

REMAINING BLADES FOR THE 2ND HALF OF THE YEAR:

Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Dorco Prime Platinum
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
King C. Gillette
Lol Titanium
Parker Premium Platinum
Shark Platinum
Silver Star
Super Max Diamond Edge
Treet 7 days Platinum
Treet King
Treet Platinum

Sixteen total at this point.

Plus any newly acquired blades...

Blades are selected at random. If a blade fails to go the full 7-days, it will be given a second opportunity to redeem itself.

As a note:

All blades are removed from the razor, immediately following the shave. They are rinsed and wiped under running water and dried on a paper towel.

They are left sitting out and are turned over for the next shave.

And on to Part II...

Last edited:
Week 27 Begins: Blade is a Derby Extra.

Might have been my first bulk blade purchase? Many here have started their DE shaving journey with this same blade.

Did my first shave this AM with the EJ DE89. It was a wonderfully smooth and close shave.

Always had good shaves with the Derby Extra in the past. The blades did not seem to last as long as others? We will see...

Some comnents...

Here are a list of Treet blades from the above list:

Treet 7 days Platinum
Treet Classic (Week 22)
Treet Dura Sharp (Week 10)

Treet King
Treet A Treet For Your Face (Week 21)
Treet Platinum
Treet Silver Carbon Steel (Week 12)
Treet Trig Silver Edge (Week 20)

As you can see, there are nine Treet blades. The adventure did not start out including these blades. These were later gifted to me and were subsequently randomly integrated into the master batch.

Yet, at the halfway point, five have been selected for a week evaluation. This is just over half of them, very random.

Now here are the Gillette branded blades, which were all here at the start:

Gillette Nacet (Week 4)
Gillette PII Twin Blade Cartridge India (Week 13/18/24)

Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
King C. Gillette

If I remove the Gillette PII Twin Blade Cartridge India (Week 13/18/24), which was deliberately inserted as a wild card, eight Gillettes remain.

Gillette Nacet (Week 4)

Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
King C. Gillette

Notice that they are evenly divided into two alphabetically listed groups of four blades each.

You can see from the Week number in the first group, 9, 16, 4, 25, that these were randomly selected.

But how odd, that the list was divided evenly in the middle?

I selected the first four at random. And specifically, did not select the last four at random.

What would be the odds if this happening? It doesn't have any particular meaning, but is highly unusual...

Last edited:
Also noticed that out of forty randomly selected blades, the first three and the last three were picked.
Astra Superior Platinum (Week 14)
Astra Superior Stainless (Week 23)
BIC Chrome Platinum (Week 19)

Wilkinson Sword Germany (Week 15)
Wilkinson Sword Gillette India (Week 26)
Wizamet Super Iridium (Week 3)

Another very nice shave this morning from the Derby Extra. I really had not used this blade for quite a while. Such a smooth effortless shave, close and clean.

Top Bottom