What's new

The 2023: 1-Blade, 1-Week, Daily Shaving Adventure

Absolutely. But the objective is to determine if someone can get a week's worth of shaves out of one DE blade. As opposed to seven exact shaves.

Sometimes I skip a day. That will give the blade a more challenging shave the following day.

Sometimes a daily shaver might skip two days during the week. I believe that it all equals out in the end.

With modern blades not providing the length of overall service of blades we had in the past. I wondered what would be the outcome if we fixed daily shaves to one physical week?

While some retain their blade for longer periods, my impressions are the average shavers use a blade for 4-6 shaves.

Generally, I like to shave daily. I would prefer not to have to count and keep track of the number of shaves. I did this previously.

Since a "week" is a convenient period and may be longer than many daily shavers retain a blade, I decided to see what would happen if I decided to put this to the test.

As we near the halfway mark for the year, I am pleased to discover that I can keep a blade for a full week and still retain quality shaves with my regular blades.

So, in answer to your question, yes!

But, once you have hit the end of the 7-day week, you are finished, having met this threads objective.

Give us your opinion as a summary of your week's experience. I will also add a comment on whether the blade is finished at this point or it is still sharp enough that I might be able to eek out a shave or so more out of the blade, even though I choose to move on to a new blade.

Certainly, retain and use your blade for as long as you see fit. Beyond the week, that will be the subject for other threads.

If a blade fails to make the week that's OK too. Please post how it went and try again as often as you wish. Use the same blade as often as you wish. They helps establish product consistency. No blades are perfect.

Thanking you for your participation!
Fantastic! Alright! I think that a weeks worth of shaves per blade is a good test for a blade. I will then finish up on Sunday, weather of not I have the full 7 shaves, and if I toss the blade, start on Monday for a new week. Sounds great. :thumbup:

Week 19 Ends: Blade is a BIC Chrome Platinum.

Nothing much to report, except another full week of flawless shaves.

I have to say, with the general consensus being, that the BIC Chrome Platinum being almost as sharp as Feather's out of the box and equally as sharp after a shave or two, they offer up a completely smooth shaving experience.

It's easy to think, that a blade this sharp couldn't really be all that smooth, but it is!

One day, I reached under the sink and pulled out my Lord L6.

proxy.php

Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L aka L6

Which Amazon currently has on sale for $5.41. This is more than $1 off their usual price for an already super inexpensive razor.

Got an exceptionally smooth and close shave with the L6 and the BIC CP. So smooth, it was almost like shaving without a blade.
I just ordered myself an L6 as well. They must have gone down even more. It was only $4.99 now. I will most likely work this one in as my travel razor. Not a huge loss if it came up missing.

I just ordered myself an L6 as well. They must have gone down even more. It was only $4.99 now. I will most likely work this one in as my travel razor. Not a huge loss if it came up missing.

It just serves to illustrate that you don't have to mortgage your home for the sake of a decent shave!

Though it may not represent the pinnacle of build quality, it did give me a good shave. It is always good to have a razor that you don't have to worry about.

I bought mine based on the recommendations of another member. I just pulled it out and will shave with it today using the Astra SS.

Quick comment. Just finished shaving with the Lord L6. Razor is very light as far as weight goes.

Though it doesn't take hardly any pressure to get a close shave. The Astra SS is a fairly basic blade.

When shaving with the L6, you hear the sound and feel the safety bar against your face but I don't really feel the blade itself. More like blade feel, without the blade being present?

The handle is on the petite side. Checking it, the threads are different than my other handles and are not interchangeable.

The shave itself was very close, leaving my face smooth. I don't feel any hot spots, which can sometimes happen with this close of a shave. Didn't even use after shave today. Didn't need it!

Not bad for a razor that is on sale for $4.99 and 100-blades for $8.18, totaling $13.17.

Quick comment. Just finished shaving with the Lord L6. Razor is very light as far as weight goes.

Though it doesn't take hardly any pressure to get a close shave. The Astra SS is a fairly basic blade.

When shaving with the L6, you hear the sound and feel the safety bar against your face but I don't really feel the blade itself. More like blade feel, without the blade being present?

The handle is on the petite side. Checking it, the threads are different than my other handles and are not interchangeable.

The shave itself was very close, leaving my face smooth. I don't feel any hot spots, which can sometimes happen with this close of a shave. Didn't even use after shave today. Didn't need it!

Not bad for a razor that is on sale for $4.99 and 100-blades for $8.18, totaling $13.17.
You would be set for a while with that setup :thumbup:

You would be set for a while with that setup :thumbup:

Yes one would! While I stay with one blade during the week, I usually change out razors.

After shaving twice with the L6, I think I may continue with it for the week?

While I had some good shaves with it previously, I think I had a tendency to disregard it, in favor of my more expensive razors. Sort of an economic prejudice. Really uncalled for.

This silly little razor is giving me outstanding shaves. Sometimes in my zealous quest for an ultra close shave with my other razors, I do get some hot spots from shaving too close.

Not so here. I shaved with the L6 some 16-hours earlier and I'm still feeling a close shave.

Curious to see how you will find your L6?

Yes one would! While I stay with one blade during the week, I usually change out razors.

After shaving twice with the L6, I think I may continue with it for the week?

While I had some good shaves with it previously, I think I had a tendency to disregard it, in favor of my more expensive razors. Sort of an economic prejudice. Really uncalled for.

This silly little razor is giving me outstanding shaves. Sometimes in my zealous quest for an ultra close shave with my other razors, I do get some hot spots from shaving too close.

Not so here. I shaved with the L6 some 16-hours earlier and I'm still feeling a close shave.

Curious to see how you will find your L6?
Yeah I'm looking forward to test it out. I should get it on Monday. Maybe I'll try it Monday evening.

Week 23 Ends: Blade is a Astra Superior Stainless.

Another week's worth of fine shaves with the Astra SS. A basic no-frills blade for less than $9/100.

Really some decent shaves. Used the Lord L6 for the last few days and this has proved to be a low cost value combo!

I can't really say enough good things for the close, smooth shaves I have been getting with the Lord L6. Hard to believe with a razor that is this inexpensive.

Week 24 Begins: Blade is a Gillette PII cartridge from India. Being used in the PII razor handle. The PII is an authorized reproduction of the 1971 Trac II system.

I shaved with this blade on week #13 and #18. It served me well throughout both weeks and was still sharp.

This will be week #3 for this twin cartridge blade. Really curious to see if this PII blade will be able to go for a third week?

Finished up my week long journey with the Treet Platinum this morning and it has been a great week of shaves. At the start of the week I was using the RR GC .68P but I was not getting that close of shaves so I switched to the. 84P head and the rest of the week was nothing but DFS+ and BBS shaves. Solid blade with solid performance. Easily could go for a few more shaves without issues. Keeper of a blade. 👍

Finished up my week long journey with the Treet Platinum this morning and it has been a great week of shaves. .... Solid blade with solid performance. Easily could go for a few more shaves without issues. Keeper of a blade. 👍

Excellent news! I really can't help but feeling that so many are deep sixing their DE blades way earlier than necessary.

I realize that some individuals have facial hair that is so tough that I am surprised that they can get through a single shave.

Still, the average person should be able to get through at least 6-7 days of decent shaves.

This is what I am finding myself and apparently, you are also (that and more).

Checking, I see that I have not tried the Treet Platinum yet. I am counting eighteen more blades to evaluate, at present count.

This should extend things through the end of October. May make a few additional purchases in the meantime.

The first shave of the 3rd week with the PII went very well earlier this morning. It has been a good fifteen hours and things as still close. The 7 O'Clock PII blade is still shaving smooth. I expect it will last through the third week of shaves!

Will probably throw in a Mach III blade for comparison and maybe a disposable razor for kicks.

It's looking like this could carry things through to the end of the year? Will have some wiggle room to repeat a failed blade.

Looking forward to your next entry and feedback on the Lord L6 razor!

Excellent news! I really can't help but feeling that so many are deep sixing their DE blades way earlier than necessary.

I realize that some individuals have facial hair that is so tough that I am surprised that they can get through a single shave.

Still, the average person should be able to get through at least 6-7 days of decent shaves.

This is what I am finding myself and apparently, you are also (that and more).

Checking, I see that I have not tried the Treet Platinum yet. I am counting eighteen more blades to evaluate, at present count.

This should extend things through the end of October. May make a few additional purchases in the meantime.

The first shave of the 3rd week with the PII went very well earlier this morning. It has been a good fifteen hours and things as still close. The 7 O'Clock PII blade is still shaving smooth. I expect it will last through the third week of shaves!

Will probably throw in a Mach III blade for comparison and maybe a disposable razor for kicks.

It's looking like this could carry things through to the end of the year? Will have some wiggle room to repeat a failed blade.

Looking forward to your next entry and feedback on the Lord L6 razor!
I have not had really an issue of getting a full week of shaves from a blade and even blades like derby extra at that. I am pretty blade agnostic it seems. Now some are definitely better than others. Like the Rapira Platinum Lux which clearly was losing steam at the end of the week. Still got a weeks worth of shaves though.

Week 24 Ends: Blade is a Gillette PII cartridge from India. Being used in the PII razor handle. (The PII is an authorized reproduction of the 1971 Trac II system.)

This will be week #3 for this twin cartridge blade.

This makes three entire weeks shaving with the Gillette PII cartridge blade.

I have now shaved with this blade on week #13, #18 and 24. It has now served me well throughout all three weeks and is still sharp.

I fully expected it to give up the ghost and become dull. I really did not expect this twin blade cartridge to make it through a third complete week!

Here's the deal, today's shave was still sharp and smooth! We're up to three weeks worth of shaves on this $1 cartridge. This will place us at about 33-cents per-week.

I see that I am going to have to give the PII a shot at yet another week!

Have to say, with the first shave being with a DE89. The Perma-Sharp lived up to its name. It cuts like butter and is incredibly smooth.

I find it very comparable to the Nacet. Maybe a better overall value, because the Nacet costs 50% more than the under $10/hundred Perma-Sharp's.

Finished up my Dorco Titan blade yesterday and it has been an uneventful week so that is a great sign. BBS and DFS shaves all week and a very smooth and sharp blade. The blade could have gone several more days, if I would have continued. My recommendation is to try one and see. The razors that I used for the week was the RR GC .84-P and then a new to me razor Lord L6 for the last two shaves.

The Lord L6 performed well for me using this blade and it would definitely qualify as a travel razor. Easy to use and surprisingly quite efficient for me. The only thing I didn't care for was the handle and the threads it has. Very loose, but you can tighten it up. We will see how long it will hold up. However, who can really complain about a $5 razor.

This week's blade is the Lord Platinum Class

Finished up my Dorco Titan blade yesterday and it has been an uneventful week so that is a great sign. BBS and DFS shaves all week and a very smooth and sharp blade.

Excellent! I have the ST300's/301's and the Primes. Haven't tried the Titan's yet.

The only thing I didn't care for was the handle and the threads it has. Very loose, but you can tighten it up. We will see how long it will hold up.

Be careful. As you note, it is not a very heavy duty razor.

As I was loading the Perma-Sharp blade into my L6 yesterday (for the today's shave), I heard a small pop while screwing down the handle.

Sure enough, it stripped the threads. I was just lightly tightening it down. Hardly any force at all. Just when it began to tighten completely, it popped loose.

So much for the L6! I liked the shave but I do really hate these cheaply made pieces of crap! I would have been fine with paying a few dollars more for something better made.

Excellent! I have the ST300's/301's and the Primes. Haven't tried the Titan's yet.

Be careful. As you note, it is not a very heavy duty razor.

As I was loading the Perma-Sharp blade into my L6 yesterday (for the today's shave), I heard a small pop while screwing down the handle.

Sure enough, it stripped the threads. I was just lightly tightening it down. Hardly any force at all. Just when it began to tighten completely, it popped loose.

So much for the L6! I liked the shave but I do really hate these cheaply made pieces of crap! I would have been fine with paying a few dollars more for something better made.
I am sad to hear about your L6. Was it the handle threads that stripped or the cap?

I like both the ST300s and the Primes by dorco

Top Bottom